Preliminary Round
Thursday 7th September 2016 @ Moor Lane, Salford
Salford City
(0) 1
(0) 0
Thompson-Edwards (59)
Mossleyweb Man of the Match: Lawrence Gibson

Salford City
1. George Neave
16. Sam Wright
23. Henry Eadie
2. Joel Barlow
17. Markell Foulds
4. Alex Doyle
14. Sam Adetilove
20. Dan Thompson-Edwards
9. Kamar Moncrieffe (c)
11. Emmanuel Ogunrinde
7. Ibrahim Morris
22. Alfie Caffery
8. Zac Woodcock
19. Harry Hatton
18. Anointed Chukwu
6. Charles Voss
Yellow card: Eadie

1. Lawrence Gibson
2. Bruno Camora
3. Aaron Atkinson
4. Dylan Fitzgerald
5. James Sutton
6. Adam Howarth
7. Jake Dunford
8. Connor Quinn
9. Donovan Silvester
10. Romano Crawford
11. Sohrab Sarwari
12. Sila Cande (not used)
14. Claudio Costa (for Sarwari 46)
15. Milton Maxime (for Quinn 57)
16. Edson Maxime (not used)
17. Luke Doyle (for Crawford 74)
Yellow cards: -

Referee: Mr A. Kelly



Mossley's new look Academy team gave a brave display in front of around 200 fans against a very strong Salford City under 19's side but went down 1-0 to bow out of the FA Youth Cup at the first hurdle.

The home side were camped in Mossley’s half for long spells, winning corners and looking for a chink in the opposition's defensive armour. With 18 minutes played Ogunrinde let fly with a low effort from almost 25 yards but Gibson was equal to it, diving to his left to push the ball around the post.

A difficult opening quarter for the Lilywhites and this far they had hardly ventured over the halfway line. Nevertheless they emerged from another spell of pressure to very nearly snatch a 28th minute lead. Eadie’s defensive header fell for Jake Dunford who tricked and muscled his way into the box before attempting to deceive home keeper George Neave with a shimmy. With the goalkeeper almost grounded Dunford tried a cheeky chipped effort but Neave responded brilliantly, extending his right arm to push the ball up onto the right-hand angle of his post and bar then out for a corner.

Somehow we had got to half-time without any goals being scored, but with football being the intriguing game it is Mossley’s only real chance had probably been the closest so far.
Claudio Costa replaced Sohrab Sarwari for Mossley at the break but Salford pushed forward virtually from the restart. However, once again Mossley’s defence, marshalled by impressive skipper Howarth, were grafting to keep the home side out.

Chances continued to materialise. Thompson-Edwards launched another corner but Gibson was able to make a save after Doyle got in an effort on goal.

with 57 minutes played Howarth ranged forward to strike a fierce shot that Neave tipped acrobatically over the crossbar. Once again the Salford keeper had retained his concentration after a period of inactivity to deny the Lilywhites an against-the-run-of-play goal.

Salford finally got the goal with 59 minutes played. Thompson-Edwards picked up a clearance just outside the penalty area and centrally positioned. A peach of a shot followed as the Salford man steered the ball just inside Gibson’s left-hand upright. A great finish – it needed to be to beat a keeper in this sort of form.

Mossley had been largely pinned back, relieving the pressure only through a few counter-attacks that failed to penetrate Salford’s defence. Now they had to get men forward if their FA Youth Cup campaign was to be saved and they almost had some success in the 70th minute. Howarth won a challenge with Moncrieffe inside the Mossley half before pinging a good pass into the path of Costa on the right. The Lilywhites’ substitute pushed forward on the flank before playing a ball inside, but Donovan Sylvester was gently eased out of possession by a home defender.

Mossley's slender hopes took a knock in the 86th minute when Bruno Camora had to go off with an injury. The Lilywhites had used their allocation of substitutes too so the rest of the game would be played as a 10-aside.