UniBond League Division One

Saturday 11th March 2006
@ Seel Park, Mossley

1. Lee Bracey (6)
2. Andy Thackeray (7)
3. Steve Sheil (8)
4. Paul Challinor (6)
5. Danny Meadowcroft (c) (7)
6. Melford Knight (5)
7. Rhodri Giggs (5)
8. Joel Pilkington (6)
9. Paul Garvey (5)
10. Jordan Goodeve (6)
11. Adam Morning (6)
12. Chris Downey (6)
(for Challinor 78 mins)
14. Joe Shaw (7)
(for Giggs 57 mins)
15. Nicky Thompson
(not used)

Steve Sheil (68)

Colwyn Bay
1. Jackson
2. Smith
3. Brown
4. Roberts
5. Boardman
6. Rodgers (c)
7. Wright
8. Baker
9. Mottram
10. Haynes
11. Jones

12. Campbell
(for Wright)
14. Hogg
(not used)
15. Roberts
(not used)

Colwyn Bay
Baker (41 mins)
Mottram (72 mins)

Mossley looked anything but champions elect as they were effectively turned over by an under-strength and recently out of sorts Colwyn Bay side at Seel Park.

This was possibly Mossley’s poorest home performance of the season and came at a time when the Lilywhites had a great chance to pull themselves clear of the chasing pack at the top of the table.

However, the Lilywhites were never able to impose their game on the plucky visitors who very fully deserving of the maximum points.

With leading scorer Chris Downey relegated to the bench Mossley looked bereft of attacking ideas with Paul Garvey and Jordan Goodeve unable to make an impact in the game against the visitors makeshift defence while Mossley were also sadly lacking in midfield inspiration.

Mossley’s only real chance of a poor first half saw Bay keeper Farai Jackson spectacularly turn away Adam Morning’s well struck shot. Everything else was magnetically attracted safely to Jackson’s hands.

The visitors for their part defended deeply, soaked up the Mossley attack and looked increasingly dangerous in attack. They took the lead four minutes before the break. Both Paul Challinor and Danny Meadowcroft came off second best to Ryan Baker who’s mazy run from the left touchline put him clear of the last defender before he placed a neat shot past Lee Bracey’s despairing dive.

Mossley huffed and puffed in the second half and the introduction of Joe Shaw for the out of sorts Rhodri Giggs livened the attack up and it was a great cheer of relief from the Mossley faithful as Steve Sheil headed home the equaliser from close range after Meadowcroft had managed to win a far post header over the stranded Jackson.

Mossley’s joy was short-lived and five minutes later a long punt by Jackson caused a misunderstanding between Challinor and Bracey and Frank Mottram had the simple task of lobbing the ball into an empty net from 20 yards.

Mossley tried desperately to rescue something and Joe Shaw came desperately close to an equaliser in the dying seconds but Jackson managed to block his shot and the chance to rescue a point Mossley hardly deserved had gone.


Steve Sheil