UniBond League Division One

Friday 14th April 2006
@ Coronation Park, Eastwood

1. Lee Bracey (7)
2. Andy Thackeray (c) (8)
3. Nicky Thompson (8)
4. Paul Challinor (8)
5. Karl Vernon (8)
6. Joel Pilkington (7)
7. Joe Shaw (7)
8. Martin Allison (7)
9. Rhodri Giggs (7)
10. Chris Downey (7)
11. Adam Morning (7)
12. Melford Knight (7)
(for Giggs 79 mins)
14. Jordan Goodeve (7)
(for Morning 62 mins)
15. Anthony Bingham (7)
(for Pilkington 76 minutes)

Martin Allison (12 minutes)
Chris Downey (60 minutes)

Eastwood Town
1. Roberts
2. McNamara
3. Fitton
4. Cooper
5. McKenzie
6. Stevenson
7. Daniel
8. Mitchell
9. Knox
10. Kerley
11. Broach
12. Davies
(for Daniel)
14. Holtham
(not used)
15. Meikle
(for Fitton)

Peter Knox (7 minutes)
Adam Kerley (55 minutes)

Mossley had to dig deep to gain a well earned point at ‘play-off’ chasing Eastwood Town on Good Friday night.

It was a scintillating game that kept spectators on their toes throughout the 90 minutes.

Eastwood were very quickly out of the blocks and applied all the early pressure. Adam Kerley, who is attracting the interest of a number of ’League’ clubs hit a great 30 yard shot that Lee Bracey did well to tip over but Bracey was less fortunate just seven minutes in when Eastwood centre forward and captain Peter Knox received a pass from Kerley and unleashed a spectacular 25 volley that dipped over the Mossley keeper to give the Badgers an early lead.

That lead was cancelled out with Mossley’s first serious attack. Rhodri Giggs won a corner on the right and Adam Morning’s flag kick was powerfully headed home by Martin Allison for his first goal in a Mossley shirt.

The game ebbed and flowed with both sides unable to create clear openings as defences dominated. Joe Shaw going closest for Mossley with a fine drive that flew narrowly over.

The second half began like the first with Eastwood, now playing down their substantial slope, on top, and it was the impressive Adam Kerley who restored their lead on 55 minutes when he drove home from just inside the box following a neat five man move.

Again Mossley responded and five minutes later equalised a second time. Allison cleverly switched play from right to left, Morning rolled the ball into Chris Downey’s path and Mossley’s top scorer buried the ball in the bottom corner for his 21st goal of the season.

Mossley’s defence, with ‘retired’ Karl Vernon making a surprise return, did superbly well to hold out under some heavy pressure as Eastwood’s direct approach kept the back line busy, but all four, Andy Thackeray, Paul Challinor, Nicky Thompson and Vernon were outstanding.

At the other end Eastwood’s defence also coped well with Mossley’s threat even when Mossley forced a number of corners with the minutes ticking away.

Mossley made three substitutions in fairly quick succession which saw the long awaited return of Anthony Bingham from injury and his pace and desire on another day may have brought dividends.

The excellent Mossley support were noisy throughout and everyone was reasonably pleased with the result despite both Kendal and Woodley having won with 90th minute goals in the afternoon.


Andy Thackeray