UniBond League Division One

Tuesday 11th
October 2005
@ Seel Park, Mossley

1. Lee Bracey (8)
2. Andy Thackeray (8)
3. Steve Sheil (8)
4. Paul Challinor (8)
5. Danny Meadowcroft (8)
6. Melford Knight (7)
7. Josh Howard (6)
8. Joel Pilkington (6) Y
9. Jordan Goodeve (7)
10. Rhodri Giggs (7) Y
11. Adam Morning (7)
12. Nicky Thompson
(not used)
14. Nehru McKenzie
(for Pilkington 77)
15. Joe Shaw
(not used)

Steve Sheil (82 mins)

Fleetwood Town
1. Banks
2. Nay
3. Pryers
4. Moran Y
5. Robinson (c)
6. Pond
7. S.Beech
8. C.Beech
9. Stevens
10. Bird Y
11. Barnes
12. Booth
(not used)
14. Taberner
(not used)
15. Blinkhorn
(not used)

Chris Beech (90p)

Mossley looked to have done enough to secure all three points in last night’s top of the table clash at a rain lashed Highbury, despite being under the cosh for much of the second half, but finally were forced to settle for a share of the spoils as Fleetwood bagged a last minute equaliser from the penalty spot.

Mossley edged the first half as Fleetwood gave away a string of free kicks that kept the pressure on the home back line but chances were at a premium as both defences looked secure.

Melford Knight came closest to giving the Lilywhites the lead when his effort was well saved by Banks from Josh Howard’s cross.

At the other end Bracey made a smart save to deny Barnes.
The second half saw Fleetwood press forward with much more determination and Mossley’s defence came under a lot of pressure but excellent performances by the back four of Thackeray, Meadowcroft, Challinor and Sheil ensured that Fleetwood chances were kept to a minimum and on the odd occasion when they did break through Lee Bracey was alert to danger and made a couple of vital saves.

Mossley replaced the visibly tiring Joel Pilkington with Nehru McKenzie on 77 minutes and the on loan Altrincham midfielder made an instant impression as he fired narrowly wide with his first involvement and then won Mossley a corner after a mazy run from the left.

The corner came in courtesy of Josh Howard and Rhodri Giggs’ front post flick on found Steve Sheil unmarked and he powered home a header from six yards to send the soaked multitude of Lilywhites fans behind the Hatfield Avenue end into ecstasy.

There were only eight minutes remaining for Mossley to hold out and they did that superbly until the game went into stoppage time. A misplaced pass by Giggs on half way was intercepted by Pryers and his through ball found Bird who was challenged from a difficult angle by the otherwise impressive Melford Knight and the referee pointed to the spot.

Chris Beech kept his nerve to fire the late equaliser that was probably no less than the home side deserved for the second half efforts.

Despite the draw results elsewhere again went
Mossley’s way and the Lilywhites again find themselves on top of the League as they take a break from League action with Shepshed next up in the FA Trophy.



Paul Challinor