UniBond League Division One

Saturday 24th
September 2005
@ Seel Park, Mossley

1. Lee Bracey (6)
2. Christian Cooke (7)
3. Steve Sheil (7)
4. Karl Vernon (8)
5. Danny Meadowcroft (7)
6. Melford Knight (7)
7. Rhodri Giggs (6)
8. Nicky Thompson (6)
9. Jordan Goodeve (7)
10. Chris Downey (7)
11. Adam Morning (7)
12. Josh Howard (6)
(for Cooke 71 mins)
14. Phil Denney (6)
(for Goodeve 45)
15. Joel Pilkington (-)
(for Downey 81)

Fleetwood Town
1. Banks
2. Blinkhorn
3. Pryers
4. Moran
5. Robinson (c)
6. Pond
7. Reid
8. Booth
9. Stevens
10. Allen
11. Barnes
12. Hall
(for Barnes)
14. Beech
(for Stevens)
15. Hay
(not used)

Nathan Pond (55)

S.Pettman (Preston)

Mossley enjoyed their biggest home gate of the season so far with the visit of League leaders Fleetwood Town but it was the Fishermen who took the spoils with a narrow 1-0 win.

Mossley didn't perform to the high standards they have set in previous home games, this was certainly partially due to Fleetwood closing down space quickly and some particularly physical and late challenges that went largely unpunished by a very poor referee

Injuries to leading scorers Chris Downey and Jordan Goodeve certainly didn't aid Mossley's cause. Goodeve was clearly fouled with no reward and didn't return for the second half while Downey dislocated a shoulder amazingly twice in the game and was taken to hospital after the second incident ten minutes from time.

Fleetwood midfielder Nathan Pond was the main culprit and he quickly developed a tendancy towards leaving a foot in and twice raised his hands into the face of a Mossley player. He was finally yellow carded but he really should not have been still on the field by the time he scored the game's only goal 10 minutes after the interval.

Neither side were able to carve any clear openings throughout the game. The best chance of the first half falling to Melford Knight who flashed a header narrrowly over from Morning's cross.

Phil Denney replaced Goodeve at the break but he was unable to influence the game and the winning goal came indirectly from a defensive mix up at a Mossley corner. Morning's corner kick was easily cleared and with the Lilywhites inexplicably two on two from the breakaway both Cooke and Thompson went to the man with the ball allowing Richard Allen to break clear from half way. He was finally forced wide and the referee awarded a corner even though Allen appeared to drive the ball straight into the side netting as Cooke closed him down. When the corner kick came accross it was twice headed against the bar inside the six yard box before Nathan Pond forced the ball home from close range at the third attempt.

Mossley failed to look like retrieving the game as long ball after long ball was easily mopped up by the doiminant visitors defence. Mossley came closest when Downey smashed a great shot off the bar with 15 minutes remaining while Fleetwood were denied a certain penalty when Sheil brought down Reid but the visitors appeals were waved away.

in the first half


pics courtesy Gradwelski

Karl Vernon