UniBond League Division One

Monday 24th April 2006
@ The Moat Ground, Swadlincote

1. Lee Bracey (6)
2. Jordan Goodeve (6)
3. Joel Pilkington (7)
4. Paul Challinor (c) (8)
5. Nicky Thompson (7)
6. Melford Knight (6) Y
7. Joe Shaw (7)
8. Martin Allison (7)
9. Rhodri Giggs (8)
10. Chris Downey (7)
11. Adam Morning (6)
12. Paul Garvey (6)
(for Shaw 85 mins)
14. Anthony Bingham (6) Y
(for Morning 70 mins)
15. Christian Cooke
(not used)

Rhodri Giggs (54 mins)

Gresley Rovers
1. Whittle
2. Davies
3. Carter
4. Millns
5. Wardle
6. Barrett
7. Hemmings
8. Slater
9. Gomm
10. O'Connor
11. Betteridge Y
12. Lyons
(for Hemmings)
14. Edwards
(for O'Connor)
15. Brindley
(for Betteridge)

Gresley Rovers
Carl Slater (9 mins)
Paul Edwards (74 mins)
Paul Edwards (80 mins)

Gresley Rovers almost proved to be party poopers as they beat their visitors Mossley, who where hoping to be crowned champions, comfortably but the Lillywhites where soon celebrating as news of Kendal's defeat circulated amongst their supporters.

The home side got off to a fine start and could have taken the lead after just a few seconds when Carl Slater cracked in a shot that Mossley keeper Lee Bracey did well to tip on to the bar.

However, Gresley didn't have long to wait for a goal. On 9 minutes Slater silenced the visiting supporters when he smashed a shot past Bracey and into the far corner of the net from a superb pass from Tony Hemmings.

Gresley could have doubled their advantage just three minutes later but unfortunately Paul Wardle put his header at the far post just past the post.

Mossley looked very nervous and the Moatmen were clearly having the better of the play. On 26 minutes Hemmings tried a long-range shot that just cleared the bar and at the other end Tommy Whittle was called into a rare bout of action pushing Rhodri Giggs' low free kick away for a corner.

On 32 minutes a Hemmings free kick from the right was met by Wardle who headed over.

Mossley's best chance of the half came on 38 minutes when Joe Shaw got around the back of the Gresley defence before pulling the ball back for Chris Downey who's disappointing shot went straight to Whittle.

Just before halftime the Mossley defence was all at sea when Hemmings' corner was header towards the target by Steve Gomm the ball was somehow blocked and Jamie Barrett tried a cheeky back heel that went wide.

In time added on Aaron O'Connor almost headed home a Gomm cross but the ball was a fraction too high for the striker to get full contact and it went wide.

The Mossley supporters were soon celebrating as Giggs drew their side level on 54 minutes. A Shaw corner from the left was met by Giggs running across goal who glanced a delightful header past Whittle and into the net.

Gresley hit back and Tom Betteridge was unlucky on 56 minutes to see his well hit shot go the wrong side of the post.

Mossley then went close on 60 minutes but Martin Allison's header from Jordan Goodeve's free kick cleared the bar.

On 74 minutes Mossley were again put on edge when Gresley again took the lead. Allan Davies' cross from the right was not cleared and the ball fell to Paul Edwards who fired in a shot that took a deflection wrong footing Bracey and into the net.

It didn't seem to upset the travelling supporter as news filtered through that Kendal had gone a further goal behind. Edwards added to his tally five minutes later when he headed Mickey Lyons' free kick home to notch up his 19th goal of the season.

Mossley had been comprehensively beaten but nothing was going to stop their celebrations as it was confirmed that Kendal had been beaten and the Lillywhites were champions.

report courtesy



Paul Challinor