UniBond League Division One

Saturday 3rd
December 2005
@ Seel Park, Mossley

1. Lee Bracey (6)
2. Christian Cooke (8)
3. Andy Thackeray (7)
4. Paul Challinor (7)
5. Danny Meadowcroft (7)
6. Melford Knight (9)
7. Anthony Bingham (8)
8. Joel Pilkington (8)
9. Jordan Goodeve (7)
10. Chris Downey (8)
11. Adam Morning (7)
12. Rhodri Giggs (7)
(for Morning 62 mins)
14. Joe Shaw (7)
(for Bingham 71 mins)
15. Nicky Thompson (7)
(for Pilkington 80 mins)

Melford Knight (24)
Chris Downey (32)
Anthony Bingham (68)

Gresley Rovers
1. Saxby
2. Davies
3. White
4. Millns
5. Simpson (c)
6. Slater
7. Barrett
8. Lyons
9. Holmes
10. O'Connor
11. Gray
12. Edwards
(for Simpson)
14. Tate
(for Lyons)
15. Williams
(for Gray)

Carl Slater (73)

If Mossley’s recent 4-1 FA Trophy victory at Gresley flattered the Lilywhites a little, this result flattered Gresley as rampant Mossley tore the visitors defence to shreds but had to settle4 for a 3-1 win when it could so easily have been at least double that.

Gresley opened the game looking to avenge that Trophy defeat and looked dangerous early on with top scorer Aaron O’Connor along with a series of set pieces being the main threats.

However, once Mossley got a grip of the game they never let go. Anthony Bingham and Adam Morning were threatening to show prowess on the wings. Bingham, making his first full appearance looked full of running and tigerish covering. Melford Knight and Joel Pilkington were dominating midfield and Jordan Goodeve and Chris Downey are always a threat to any defence.

Mossley deservedly took the lead on 24 minutes. Downey won a corner on the left, Morning crossed and Melford Knight stole in unmarked at the near post to plant a fine header past Saxby.

Once in the lead Mossley never looked like relinquishing it and it was doubled on 32 minutes. Anthony Bingham won the ball in his own half, shook off an attempted shirt pull, skipped at pace past two tackles and placed a slide-rule pass into the path of Chris Downey who calmly slotted the ball in the far corner.

Mossley were now on the rampage. Joel Pilkington, having his best game in a Mossley shirt, was fouled 25 yards out and Goodeve curled a superb free kick that hit the inside of the post but somehow stayed out of the net.

The second half opened with Gresley desperately trying to stage a comeback. O’Connor was doing too much on his own and strike partner Holmes was totally ineffective against the solid Danny Meadowcroft and Paul Challinor as Mossley became a threat playing on the break while Gresley pushed forward in search of anything they could forage.

Mossley scored a top class third goal in the 68th minute. Christian Cooke, who had an excellent game, broke down another Gresley raid and knocked a long aerial pass up to Anthony Bingham who controlled the ball on his chest turned and scored in the far corner all in one movement with the greatest of aplomb for a real ’goal of the season’ contender.

Gresley finally pulled a goal back five minutes later when midfielder Carl Slater spotted Lee Bracey on the wrong side of his goal and accurately hit the space that Bracey couldn’t reach from some 30 yards out.

Mossley continued to play on the break as Gresley pushed forward and a scintillating five man move ended with Downey firing narrowly wide and Goodeve and substitute Joe Shaw missed good chances to give the score a fairer reflection of Mossley’s overall control of the match.

If there were any lingering doubts about Mossley’s promotion credentials they were firmly dismissed by this impressive performance that had the home fans purring. Gresley meanwhile, have some work to do to get back in the promotion hunt, not least to sort out a nervous looking defence.


Melford Knight