Pre Season Friendly

Monday 1st August 2005
@ Seel Park, Mossley

1. Daz Hobson
2. Nicky Thompson
3. Andy Thackeray
4. Jordan Goodeve
5. Paul Challinor
6. Steve Sheil
7. Josh Howard
8. Paul Murphy
9. Steve Owens
10. Chris Downey
11. Adam Morning
12. Melford Knight
14. Rhodri Giggs
15. Christian Cooke
16. Wes Wilkinson

Chris Downey (43)
Adam Morning (75)

Macclesfield Town
Whyte (26)
White (36)
McDonald (49)

A youthful Macclesfield Town side gave Mossley another useful work out tonight. Mossley were without Phil Denney and Danny Meadowcroft, both receiving knocks on Saturday, and forced to field an untried goalkeeper following the sudden departure of Ian Willcock. Into the squad came former Macclesfield wing back Christian Cooke and former Nantwich Town striker Wes Wilkinson latterly with Oldham Athletic, both players appearing as second half substitutes.
Mossley began the game in confident mood and took control from the off, threatening the visitors defence on a number of occasions without finding a clear shot on goal.
Macclesfield weathered the early storm and then scored with their first chance of the game in the 26th minute. Rob Whyte touching home Izak Reid's cross.
It was somewhat against the run of play as was the second when it came ten minutes later when Rob Whyte finished off Marvin McDonald's cross.
Mossley finally got the goal their general play deserved two minutes before the break when Chris Downey pounced to score from ten yards after having his initial effort blocked.
Wes Wilkinson's trickery and inventiveness threatened to open the Macclesfield defence repeatedly through the second half and the Lilywhites went close on several occasions before Marvin McDonald created a chance out of nothing at the other end and drove a fine shot into the top corner from 18 yards.
Mossley pulled a goal back in the 75th minute when Wilkinson and Downey combined to set Adam Morning racing through to finish with aplomb in the bottom corner.
Mossley dominated the remainder of the game without finding the final breakthrough and Macc held on to a narrow win.