UniBond League Division One

Saturday 8th April 2006
@ The Dovecote, Shepshed

1. Lee Bracey
2. Andy Thackeray (c)
3. Joel Pilkigton
4. Paul Challinor
5. Nicky Thompson
6. Melford Knight
7. Joe Shaw
8. Martin Allison
9. Rhodri Giggs
10. Chris Downey
11. Paul Garvey
12. Jordan Goodeve
(for Knight)
14. Arron Kirk
(not used)

15. Anthony Bingham
(not used)

Rhodri Giggs (58 minutes)

Shepshed Dynamo
1. Baldwin
2. Guiney
3. Peel
4. O'Brien
5. T.Lambert
6. Gamble
7. Wilson
8. J.Lambert
9. Bourne
10. Thomas
11. Howell
12. Savage
(for Wilson)
14. Timms
(not used)
15. Adelukan
(not used)

Thomas (41 minutes)
Wilson (78 minutes)

There is no logic in the displays of Shepshed this season. I am certain the majority of Dynamo supporters turned up at the Dovecote on Saturday more with a sense of trepidation than hope. After all when you have gone seven league matches without a win the last team you would want to entertain is Mossley the Unibond Division One runaway leaders.

Back in October Shepshed went to Mossley for a FA Trophy tie and conceded two late goals to lose 3-2 – an undeserved defeat. Last Saturday the Dynamo turned the form book upside down and deservedly won 2-1.

In the first half both sets of players found it difficult to control the ball on a hard pitch in the strong swirling wind. Both teams won several corners but shots on target were in short supply.
Mossley’s Rhodri Giggs put a cross just over the bar. A Stuart Wilson corner was slammed against the keeper by Duncan O’Brien and a Paul Gamble header into the net was ruled out for a push on the keeper.

It came therefore as a bit of a surprise when Shepshed took the lead in the 41st minute. Jordan Lambert won the ball just inside the Mossley half and from 40 yards unleashed a powerful shot on target for the centre of the goal. But as the ball went through the crowded back line Darryl Thomas managed to get a touch and deflect it into the corner of the net leaving Mossley keeper Lee Bracey totally bemused.

Three minutes into the second half the referee suspended play for 12 minutes when a fierce storm hit the ground. On the resumption the players had to deal with a very wet pitch which made just standing up an achievement.

On 60 minute Mossley equalized when following a Shepshed attack in which Bracey did well to save from Thomas. Bracey sent a long ball upfield to Rhodri Giggs who lobbed Simon Baldwin.

Shepshed hit back hard. Wilson had a strong shot pushed round the post and Andy Bourne twice had good shots saved. Shepshed were now dominating play but Mossley looked dangerous on the break. A fact emphasized when Giggs caused a scare by again breaking through the Shepshed defence. This time however he lost control of the ball at the vital moment.

The Dynamo though were not to be denied and on 78 minutes regained the lead. Jordan Lambert found Wilson who from 25 yards sent a screamer into the corner of the net.

report courtesy of Shepshed BWA