UniBond League Division One

Monday 24th April 2006
@ Seel Park, Mossley

1. Lee Bracey (6)
2. Andy Thackeray (c) (6)
3. Nicky Thompson (7)
4. Paul Challinor (7)
5. Karl Vernon (6)
6. Joel Pilkington (8)
7. Joe Shaw (8) Y
8. Melford Knight (6)
9. Jordan Goodeve (7)
10. Paul Garvey (7)
11. Adam Morning (6)
12. Chris Downey (5)
(for Goodeve 68 mins)
14. Martin Allison (6)
(for Thackeray 35 mins)
15. Anthony Bingham
(not used)

Joe Shaw (21 mins)
Paul Garvey (35 mins)

Shepshed Dynamo
1. Quailey
2. O'Brien
3. Peel
4. T.Lambert
5. Savage
6. Gamble Y
7. Guiney
8. J.Lambert
9. Bourne
10. Thomas
11. Howell
12. Wilson
(for Thomas)
14. Adelukan
(for Wilson)
15. Bishop
(not used)

Daryll Thomas (27 mins)
Andy Bourne (68 mins)
Paul Gamble (78 mins pen)

Mossley snatched defeat from the jaws of glory in their final home game of the season against mid-table Shepshed Dynamo at Seel Park on Monday.

A sizable crowd turned up to hopefully see the win that would have given Mossley the title and the championship trophy on the night but after a fantastic first half performance the Lilywhites allowed the visitors back in the game and paid the ultimate price albeit due to a highly dubious penalty.

Mossley opened at high tempo and Shepshed simply couldn't get the ball off them as the Lilywhites poured forward in numbers with some scintillating football. Jordan Goodeve had the best early chance but his fine dipping drive came back off the bar. Adam Morning brought a good save out of Quailey and Joe Shaw and Paul Garvey were generally causing havoc for the visitors defence.

The inevitable opening goal came in the 21st minute as Joe Shaw scored with a superb acrobatic volley from fully 25 yards out that saw Quailey grasping at air.

Four minutes later and the lead was doubled. Joel Pilkington somehow forced the ball through to Paul Garvey who raced clear to slot the ball into the corner as Quailey advanced to his feet.

With their very first shot of the game on 27 minutes Shepshed halved the deficit as Darryl Thomas found space between Vernon and Challinor and squeezed the ball past the previously under-employed Lee Bracey.

Mossley lost skipper Andy Thackeray shortly after with an injury and the reshuffle saw Pilkington switch to right back and Martin Allison join the fray in midfield.

Goodeve then hit the post with another great shot as Mossley attempted to reopen the two goal cushion and despite several close calls Shepshed somehow survived without further damage to the break.

What happened in the second half beggered belief. Mossley's fluency disappeared completely as they resorted to a long ball game that Shepshed eagerly soaked up and the visitors for the first time in the game began to seriously threaten.

The inevitable happened in the 68th minute when a neat crossfield move ended with Andy Bourne heading the equaliser as the Mossley defence failed to react.

Joe Shaw almost regained the lead for Mossley as Quailey turned his effort round the post and Garvey shot wide when well placed but it was the visitors who were in the ascendancy and several crosses caused consternation in the Mossley defence before disaster struck in the 78th minute. Howell's cross from the left struck the hapless Joel Pilkington on the arm, definitely ball to hand, and the referee awarded a highly dubious penalty that Paul Gamble blasted into the top corner to give Shepshed the lead.

Mossley couldn't find any fluency at all as Shepshed easily picked off the Lilywhites ever more frustrated attempts to get the ball to the strikers and left the Mossley crowd in silence and disbelief at the final whistle as Shepshed players and their small but enthusiastic travelling support celebrated a 'party pooping' victory.



Joe Shaw