FA Challenge Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round

Saturday 26th November 2005
@ Rivacre Park, Ellesmere Port

1. Sam McEwen (7)
2. Andy Thackeray (6)
3. Steve Sheil (6)
4. Paul Challinor (7)
5. Danny Meadowcroft (7) Y
6. Melford Knight (6)
7. Jordan Goodeve (8)
8. Joel Pilington (5)
9. Leon Mike (4)
10. Chris Downey (7)
11. Adam Morning (6)
12. Joe Shaw (7)
(for Pilkington 75 mins)
14. Christian Cooke
(not used)
15. Nicky Thompson
(not used)
16. Anthony Bingham (8)
(for Mike 26 mins)

Jordan Goodeve (54)

Vauxhall Motors
1. Dittmer Y
2. Spellman
3. Duffy
4. Mooran
5. McNulty (c)
6. Brazier
7. McGivern
8. Lawton
9. Rooney
10. Olsen
11. Cumiskey

12. Willis
(for Cumiskey)
14. O'Donnell
(not used)
15. McNutt
(not used)
16. Garrity
(not used)
17. Glendenning
(for Spellman)

Vauxhall Motors
Rooney (16)
McGivern (44)

Referee: K.J.Mattocks

Mossley had only themselves to blame for a slipshod first half for their FA Trophy exit at Conference North strugglers Vauxhall Motors.

The Lilywhites never got out of the blocks in a largely one sided first half that saw Mossley give the home side far too much respect and concede two soft goals against a big physically strong Vauxhall side.

The second half was a much different affair that saw Mossley finally take the game to Vauxhall and after reducing the arrears pushed on desperately and vainly in search of an equaliser that didn’t arrive.

It was no surprise when Vauxhall opened the scoring in the 16th minute when Thomas Rooney was allowed too much room and was able to give rookie debutant goalkeeper Sam McEwen no chance from ten yards.

Leon Mike went over on an ankle and hobbled off for good five minutes later to be replaced by Anthony Bingham who had an excellent game.

Mossley finally started to show in attack and Jordan Goodeve fired narrowly over and the Lilywhites won a couple of corners without reward.

Vauxhall doubled their lead just a minute before the break through Leighton McGivern who was again allowed too much room to pick his spot from eight yards.

McGivern rightfully should not have been on the pitch by this stage having blatantly elbowed Andy Thackeray in the face which was missed by what proved to be very poor match officials.

Right from the start of the second period it was obvious that Mossley had upped their tempo and started to close down space where previously they had allowed it. Bingham was causing havoc on the right and some forceful and penetrative runs by Jordan Goodeve were finally rewarded in the 54th minute when the Mossley striker scored from a rebound after Bingham’s effort had been initially blocked by a defender.

Vauxhall then survived a frantic goalmouth scramble that saw Paul Challinor’s effort cleared off the line and Downey’s shot blocked by the keeper as the ball pinged around the goalmouth.
Twice Vauxhall were awarded goal-kicks when the correct decision would have been corners and to rub salt in Mossley’s wounds Chris Downey was denied a certain penalty when brought down by Duffy as he looked a certain scorer.

At the other end Vauxhall were shooting from anywhere and a series of long range efforts cleared the perimeter wall although McEwen dived to make a fingertip save from Rooney.

Despite Bingham’s probing runs and Goodeve and Downey’s valiant efforts Mossley were unable to force the equaliser that their second half performance merited and Vauxhall, two divisions higher than Mossley, were relieved and delighted to hang on to a slender win and a place in the next round.


Jordan Goodeve