UniBond League Division One

Tuesday 27th September 2005
@ Cantilever Park, Warrington

1. Lee Bracey (8)
2. Christian Cooke (8)
3. Steve Sheil (7)
4. Karl Vernon (8)
5. Danny Meadowcroft (c) (8)
6. Melford Knight (7)
7. Josh Howard (7)
8. Nicky Thompson (7)
9. Leon Mike (8)
10. Rhodri Giggs (8)
11. Adam Morning (7)
12. Phil Denney (6)
(for Mike 74 mins)
14. Joel Pilkington
(for Sheil 59)
15. Joe Shaw
(not used)

Rhodri Giggs (46)

Warrington Town
1. Lowe
2. Pitts
3. Fitzsimmons Y
4. Ellison
5. Randles
6. Reilly
7. Salt (c) Y
8. Latham
9. Featherstone
10. G.Mitchell
11. P.Mitchell Y
12. McNally
(for Featherstone)
14. Howard
(for G.Mitchell)
15. Sinker
(for Salt)

Randles (22)

Mossley were left to rue a string of missed chances at Warrington on Tuesday night and in the end were grateful to keeper Lee Bracey for making a couple of great saves late in the game to retain parity.

Leon Mike returned to the team to make his first appearance of the season due to the injury absence of Jordan Goodeve and Chris Downey. Leon quickly showed his skills in opening the home defence practically every time he got the ball.

Mossley dominated the first half but still found themselves a goal behind at the interval.
The Lilywhites had opened the home defence almost at will in the opening 45 minutes and Warrington keeper Ian Lowe was the ‘Yellows’ hero as he saved one on ones against Rhodri Giggs (twice), Leon Mike (twice) and Adam Morning as Mossley threatened to run riot.

It was completely against the run of play when Warrington scored out of the blue on 22 minutes. A free kick from deep on the left was spectacularly volleyed home on the turn by centre half Gary Randles.

The omens were not good for Mossley after chances went begging and it was looking like it might be ‘one of those nights’ until a minute after the break with Warrington claims for off-side waved away as Rhodri Giggs nipped through a gap up the middle, confidently rounded Lowe and fired home past the lone covering defender on the line.

Leon Mike burst through a few minutes later and looked a certain scorer but his shot skimmed past the outside of the post and that was more or less it for Mossley as an attacking force as the home side worked tremendously hard to force Mossley on the back foot and hit the bar twice through Featherstone and Mitchell.

As the game reached it’s closing stages Bracey made a quick double save to deny Mitchell and substitute Howard and then Warrington had a penalty appeal waved away as Karl Vernon tangled with a Warrington forward as the game entered it’s final moments.


Rhodri Giggs