Match Reports



A double strike inside three minutes by Andy Gayle was not enough to take something from a disappointing last game of the season. The goalless first half saw only a couple of chances for either side with Wosahlo and Gayle both being denied in one-on-ones by home keeper McVey while at the other end debutant keeper Wayne Backhouse made a couple of smart saves after surviving a shaky opening. The second half saw Mossley go close on a couple of occasions before Congleton took the lead in the 55th minute when Iain Dyson scored from close range. Mossley equalised in the 72nd minute when substitute Kenny Abbott crossed from the left and Andy Gayle headed home from five yards. Three minutes later Mossley were in front when Abbott's fellow substitutes Russell Headley and Darren wardle combined well on the right and the former pulled the ball back for Wosahlo who's shot struck Andy Gayle but the lively striker recovered and turned to score in a flash. At that stage Mossley looked a safe bet but were pulled back with ten minutes remaining when Dave Shaw glanced home a header from Jon-Paul Jones' left wing cross. Jones won the game for the home side with six minutes left on the clock with a fine solo goal.

Verdict: Ally Pickering has his work cut out in the summer building a team to challenge for honours next season because this team is a long way from the mark!

Team: Wayne Backhouse, Paul Mitten, Danny Griggs, John Foster, Paul Taylor, Tony Gaffey, Rowan Hines, Ricky Harris, Andy Gayle, Bradley Wosahlo, Damien Wilkinson. subs. Darren Wardle (for Hines), Russell Headley (for Mitten), Kenny Abbott (from Griggs).


Mossley were back to full strength for the visit of mid-table Fleetwood today but were held to a 1-1 draw in a game that livened up considerably after a dour first half. It was a forgettable first period with Fleetwood's Vickers having the best chance but he fired hopelessly wide when it looked easier to score. Mossley began the second half with more purpose and were unluicky when Ricky Harris headed against a post and only four minutes into the half Mossley forged ahead when Griggs crossed from the left and sponsor's Man of the Match John Foster stole in unmarked to loop a header past Fleetwood's stand-in keeper Steve Archbold. Archbold then made a fine save to deny Gayle before Fleetwood equalised in the 71st minute. Rob Hackney saved with his feet from Riches snap shot but the ball broke for Stuart Holloway who beat the unsighted Hackney at his near post from 15 yards to give the visitors a share of the spoils.

Verdict: More end of season stuff!

Team: Rob Hackney, John Foster, Mark Phillips, Mark Paver, Paul Taylor, Damien Wilkinson, Tony Gaffey, Ricky Harris, Andy Gayle, Darren Wardle, Danny Griggs. subs. Bradley Wosahlo (for Wardle), Rowan Hines (for Gaffey), Paul Mitten (not used).


A Mossley side with several key players missing failed to come away with any credit from a poor performance that saw the Lilywhites crash 3-1 at relegated Maine Road. With Ally Pickering making his first appearance as a player since being appointed manager last November the Lilywhites made a steady if unspectacular start. Tony Gaffey playing in an unfamiliar midfield road had an exeptional first half but clear chances were few as the bumpy pitch made controlled football difficult. Following a goalless first half that Mossley had dominated it looked likely that the Lilywhites would take control again in the second half but the opposite was the case. Losing first Griggs and then Harris through injury Mossley struggled on with physio Danny Mitten making a surprise appearance from the bench. Before this Maine Road had taken a 49th minute lead through Paul Monoghan and Mossley had equalised six minutes later when Darren Wardle turned to score from 10 yards after good work by Wosahlo. The home side edged in front in the 76th minute when Jock Russell was fouled in the box by Rob Hackney and the same player dusted himself off to send Hackney the wrong way with a well taken spot-kick. Mossley pressed on but there was little movement up front as Maine Road defended deep and the relegated club sealed a memorable victory two minutes from time when player-manager Chris Simms cheekily lobbed Hackney from 30 yards.

Verdict: Grim!

Team: Rob Hackney, Danny Griggs, Russell Headley, Ally Pickering, Paul Taylor, Mark Paver, Darren Wardle, Ricky Harris, Andy Gayle, Bradley Wosahlo, Tony Gaffey. subs. Kenny Abbott (for Griggs), Wayne Backhouse (not used), Danny Mitten (for Harris).


Mossley conspired to miss enough chances to win several games in going down 3-2 at home to Skelmersdale United despite coming back from two down. Despite being without the injured Phillips, Foster and Griggs, Mossley dominated the game throughout with Skem playing quickly but effectively on the break. It was the visitors who took the lead with their first attack in the 14th minute when Tony Coyne was alleged to have brought down Murphy and Graham Dodd netted from the spot. Five minutes later and in only their second attack Skem doubled the advantage. Tony Gaffey lost possession anmd Wright broke down the right and crossed for Dodd to score his second from close range. Mossley were constantly creating openings despite not playing well but Gayle, Wardle and Wosahlo appeared to have left their shooting boots at home as they contrived to miss numerous scoring opportunities. The Lilywhites were given a lifeline in the 78th minute when Gayle was upended on the edge of the box but the referee awarded a penalty and Darren Wardle dispatched it firmly in the bottom corner. Two minutes later Mossley had come back to level the scores. Gayle was fouled twenty five yards out and Russell Hedaley curled a superb free kick into the top corner to send the Mossley fans into raptures. Skem hero John Dodfd was then given his marchuing orders for abusing the ref, before the Lilywhites threw the game away with two minutes laft on the clock. Paul Taylor made an uncharacteristic error and Jason Rudd went through to delicately lob Rob Hackney and steal the points for the visitors.

Verdict: You just can't miss that many chances and hope to win!

Team: Rob Hackney, Russell Headley, Tony Gaffey, Mark Paver, Paul Taylor, Tony Coyne, Darren wardle, Ricky Harris, Andy Gayle, Bradley Wosahlo, Kenny Abbott. subs. Damien Wilkinson (not used), Rowan Hines (for Coyne), Ally Pickering (not used).

booked: Coyne, Wardle


Mossley failed to take their chances in today's NWCL fixture against mid-table Ramsbottom and had to settle for a point after Darren Wardle had netted from the spot for his first goal since returning from injury. Mossley had started well but it was the visitors who had the first shot when ex Lilywhite Chris Willcock's speculative shot sailed wide. Mossley were unlucky when Bradley Wosahlo fired against the bar in the 13th minute which was as close as either side got in a half broken up by a series of injuries that saw the physio's as the busiest people in the ground. The second half started well for Mossley as Darren Wardle used his power to get roundStephen Shiel but the visitors defender dragged him down and an undeniable penalty was awarded that Wardle comfortably stroked into the bottom corner. Wardle and Wosahlo were both denied by the oustanding Paul Horridge in the Ramsbottom goal before the visitors were fortunate recipients of a 57th minute own goal as York-Robinson's speculative effort spun off the foot of substitute Tony Coyne and looped around the stranded Rob Hackney to level the scores. Mossley's defence, led by Sponsor's Man of the Match Paul Taylor on his 200th appearance, then coped admirably with a spell of United pressure and Wosahlo had an excellent opportunity to win the game as he burst through on the left only to see Horridge smother his effort.

Verdict: Typical end of season fayre!

Team: Rob Hackney, John Foster, Danny Griggs, Mark Paver, Paul Taylor, Mark Phillips, Darren Wardle, Ricky Harris, Andy Gayle, Bradley Wosahlo, Damien Wilkinson. subs. Tony Coyne (for Griggs), Tony Gaffey (for Wardle), Russell Headley (for Foster).


After falling two goals behind in a one sided first half at promotion chasing Kidsgrove, Mossley staged a second half fightback that wan't quite enough at Hollinswood Road tonight. Playing up the slope in the first half and with Mark Murray making his first appearance of the season, Mossley had difficulty in coping with Kidsgrove's direct style but both Kidsgrove's half goals were rough justice on Mossley. Steve Walters gave the home side a 15th minute lead but this came after Darren Twigg and blatently fouled Mark Phillips in the build up. Kidsgrove's second on 35 minutes came when Wilson-Cunningham broke from a clearly off-side position to cross for Twigg to head home from close range. The second half was a different story with Bradley Wosahlo replacing Murray at the interval Mossley were able to force the issue and deservedly reduced the arrears in the 69th minute. andy Gayle raced down the left wing and crossed to the far post where Danny Griggs won a header against the odds and Bradley Wosahlo pounced to crash the ball home. Kidsgrove defended deeply and attempted to catch Mossley on the break but were strong enough at the back to repel Mossley's foraging and hang on for three vital points in their title chase.

Verdict: Second half recovery not enough!

Team: Rob Hackney, Mark Paver, Mark Murray, Tony Coyne, Paul Taylor, Mark Phillips, Danny Griggs, Ricky Harris, Andy Gayle, Damien Wilkinson, Russell Headley. subs. Tony Gaffey (for Taylor), Darren wardle (for Headley), Bradley Wosahlo (for Murray).

booked: Griggs, Paver


A first half double salvo from Andy Gayle set Mossley on their way to victory in a much better Mossley performance at Seel Park this afternoon. After surviving a scare when Gavin Salmon shot against the post Mossley crept in front on 15 minutes. Headley and Coyne worked a short corner on the right and the cross was flicked home by the head of Andy Gayle. The game was end to end at this stage and Flixton again hit the woodwork before equalising in the 37th minute when Hackney fumbled Salmon's strike from a free kick over the line. Not to be denied Mossley restored the advantage a minute later when Coyne's free kick from deep on the right was volleyed home at the far post by Gayle. Just before the break Mossley added a fortuitous third when an identical Coyne free kick was unluckily headed past his own keeper by former Mossley defender Steve Hibbert. With the wind at their backs in teh second half Flixton made much of the running and Hackney made a spectacular save to deny Otutu while at the other end GAyle was unlucky not to complete his hat-trick and Mark Phillips saw his goalbound header cleared off the line. Mossley made victory safe on 76 minutes when Gayle made a fine mazy run down the left before squaring for John Foster to slot home his first goal for Mossley. Flixton pulled a goal back 10 minutes from time through substitute Dave Esdaile but it profved a mere consolation and Mossley fully deserved the victory.

Verdict: Much improved performance!

Team: Rob Hackney, John Foster, Russell Haedley, Mark Paver, Paul Taylor, Mark Phillips, Tony Coyne, Ricky Harris, Andy Gayle, Bradley Wosahlo, Damien Wilkinson. subs. Mike Turner (not used), Tony Gaffey (for Wilkinson), Kenny Abbott (not used).

booked: Wilkinson


Fleetwood's style of football might not win them many admirers but if they come up against opposition that can't deal with it then it will win them a few games along the way. Mossley's best period was undoubtedly early on but there were few opportunities and they would have fallen behind earlier but for Hackney's point blank stop from Kevin Barnes. Barnes wasn't to be deied as after 25 minutes he latched onto his goalkeepers clearance and getting there first he turned and slotted it past the advancing Hackney. Ricky Harris headed Mossley's best chance just over from Headley's corner. Any attempts to get back into the game were shelved when Rob Hackney was controversially dismissed for a marginal hand-ball offense outside the area. Mark Phillips deputised in goal and made two good saves but Fleetwood finally doubled their lead when Fleetwood leading scorer John Riches volleyed home Parkinson's cross to end a less than memorable trip to the sea-side. Report courtesy of Graham Mather

Team: Rob Hackney, Tony Gaffey, Mark Phillips, Mark Paver, Paul Taylor, Tony Coyne, Paul Mitten, Ricky Harris, Andy Gayle, Mark Crossland, Russell Headley. subs. Damien Wilkinson (for Mitten), Darren Wardle (for Headley), Bradley Wosahlo (for Gayle).

booked: Paver sent off: Hackney


Second half substitute Ricky Harris was Mossley's last minute hero as he powered home a 90th minute header to give the Lilywhites victory over the stubornly defensive basement strugglers Great Harwood at Seel Park tonight. It had been a struggle throughout as Mossley struggled to assert themselves against very poor opposition. In fact neither side created a single chance of note throughout the entire first half. At half time Ricky Harris replaced the decidedly out of sorts Steve Burns and the Lilywhites finally began to exert some pressure but with 'Arrad' keeping eight men behind the ball they were increasingly difficult to break down. The first moment of note came when the classy Harris fired a fierce thirty yarder off the underside of the bar with fifteen minutes remaining. Bradley Wosahlo then headed just over and Mike Turner, who had also had a poor game, miss-timed a close range header while Danny Griggs made a couple of good openings but shot tamely. It looked like ending in a frustrating goalless draw when Harris rose highest to power home Turner's left wing cross in the 90th minute to give Mossley maximum points and break Great Harwood hearts.

Verdict: Awful game, relief provided with the goal!

Team: Rob Hackney, John Foster, Tony Gaffey, Mark Paver, Paul Taylor, Damien Wilkinson, Russell Headley, Steve Burns, Mike Turner, Bradley Wosahlo, Danny Griggs. subs. Mark Crossland (for Foster), Ricky Harris (for Burns), Tony Coyne (for Griggs).


Tony Coyne set up victory for Mossley today with a superb 25 yard strike from a free kick in what proved to be a workmanlike 2-0 win against an overly physical mid-table Warrington Town at Seel Park. It was generally a scrappy game but Mossley dominated throughout without creating too many clear openings. Andy Gayle was in fine form for Mossley and he had the ball in the net on 15 minutes when he crashed home John Foster's cross, but a marginal decision saw him ruled off-side. Mossley were not to be denied though and some swift inter-passing saw Gayle brought down five yards outside the box and Coyne fired Mossley ahead from the resultant free kick that flew like a bullet past a bemused Warrington keeper. Mossley doubled their lead two minutes before the break when Tony Gaffey crossed from the left and Andy Gayle flicked home a far post header. It was no more than Mossley deserved as they had completely bossed the first half. The second half saw Warrington in more determined mood and they attempted a fight back but with Sponsors Man of the Match Paul Taylor, Mark Paver and full backs John Foster and Tony Gaffey in outstanding form the Cheshire club were able to make little headway and when they finally troubled Rob Hackney with a free kick the Mossley keeper was equal to it making a spectacular save. Mossley were able to make few inroads in the second half as Warrington continually niggled at the Mossley forwards. Warrington's Paul Davies was lucky not to be red carded when he head-butted Bradley Wosahlo just after he had come on as a replacement for the impressive Gayle, but fortunately for him neither the referee or his assistants spotted the offence. Warrington were finally reduced to ten men though when Chris Locke was dismissed for a second bookable offence after he had fouled Danny Griggs.

Verdict: A workmanlike victory over moderate opposition!

Team: Rob Hackney, John Foster, Tony Gaffey, Mark Paver, Paul Taylor, Tony Coyne, Danny Griggs, Ricky Harris, Andy Gayle, Mark Crossland, Russell Headley. subs. Bradley Wosahlo (for Gayle), Steve Burns (for Coyne), Damien Wilkinson (not used).

booked: Foster, Crossland


Mossley came away from Valley Road with a point tonight after a battling display saw them recover from conceding a first minute goal and a two goal defecit to earn a draw against resurgent Flixton. Mossley could't have had a worse start as Flixton scored through a Troy Hayder volley with barely a minute on the clock. The yellow clad Lilywhites recovered quickly and applied plenty of pressure with Harris running midfield and Griggs and Headley causing problems on the flanks. When the equaliser came on 14 minutes it was thoroughly deserved. Andy Gayle, who looked sharp all night, turned his marker and unleashed an unstoppable left foot shot past Flixton's former Hyde keeper Kurt Edgington. Mossley dominated the half until they were hit by a shocking refereeing decision. Rob Hackney was penalised for picking the ball up after Paul Taylor had won a tackle against Nathan Comley-Exell and the referee inexplicably ruled it to be back pass and gave Flixton a free kick six yards out which the homsters centre half crashed home off the bar from close range. Worse was to follow, as despite totally controlling the game Mossley fell further behind two minutes before the break when Hayder found the net again in a rare Flixton foray. The Lilywhites reply was fortunately immediate as Edgington body checked Tony Coyne and was lucky to escape with only a yellow card from a very fussy official, but Coyne sent him the wrong way from the resultant penalty. Mossley came out all guns blazing in the second period and put a lot of pressure on the home defence before finally equalising in the 63rd minute when Ricky Harris superbly headed home John Foster's inch perfect cross from the right. Flixton were reduced to ten men when their number four was dismissed for a second bookable offence and though it was Mossley who continued to dominate, it was Flixton who had the best chance when Comley-Exell fired wide when he ought to have scored and despite several scrambles in the Flixton box the home side hung on for a share of the spoils in their amazing quest to avoid the drop.

Verdict: A breath of fresh air after Saturday's horror show!

Team: Rob Hackney, John Foster, Tony Gaffey, Mark Paver, Paul taylor, Tony Coyne, Danny Griggs, Ricky Harris, Andy Gayle, Mark Crossland, Russell Headley. subs. Bradley Wosahlo (for Griggs), Steve Burns (not used), Mike Turner (not used).

booked: Coyne, Foster, Crossland


Atherton LR completed an unlikely double over Mossley at Crilly Park today as Mossley gave an inept display in attack and a naive defensive showing to gift a poor home side an easy victory. It was Mossley's heaviest League defeat of the season and the first time they have conceded three goals in a League fixture. Just how it happened is still a mystery as the Lilywhites looked comfortably in control playing up the slope for the first 38 minutes and then conceeded two soft goals in the space of a horrific three minutes. The stocky Paul Dean struck first shooting through a ruck of players after the Mossley defence had failed to clear a corner. It was a shock goal and that ought to have galvanized Mossley. Unfortunately just two minutes later Rob Hackney made a hash of an easy catch and Steve Crowther pounced from close range. A further blow came a minute later when Damien Wilkinson hobbled off with a knee injury and he was replaced by debutant Mark Crossland. The second half, with the advantage of the notorious Crilly Park slope, ought to have seen Mossley pull themselves back into the game, however when Paul Taylor made a hash of a clearing header and Mark Paver hesitated as the ball bounced past Hackney, former Mossley winger Mark Jones pounced to head home from close range to wrap up the points for the struggling homesters who had failed to score in their previous four outings. Mossley completely dominated the remainder of the game but the damage had been done and a tendancy to try to walk the ball into the net on a horrendous playing surface inevitably cost Mossley dearly.

Verdict: Just one of those days, hopefully!

Team: Rob Hackney, John Foster, Paul Mitten, Mark Paver, Paul Taylor, Mark Phillips, Steve Burns, Ricky Harris, Mike Turner, Bradley Wosahlo, DAmien Wilkinson. subs. Andy gayle (for Turner), Mark Crossland (for Wilkinson), Danny Griggs (for Mitten).

booked: Burns, Paver


Mossley coasted to a reasonably comfortable victory to complete the double over neighbours Glossop on an awful surface at Surrey Street last night. Glossop opened the brighter and put all the early pressure on the Mossley defence but were unable to create any real openings and Mossley took the lead with what was effectively their first attack on 14 minutes. Steve Burns released Andy Gayle down the left and his powerful cross was turned in by Mike Turner. The game finally settled into a physical midfield battle but Mossley had the definate edge and it was no real surprise when they doubled the lead with a superb goal in the 29th minute. Paul Taylor uncharacteristically went on a mazy run inmto the Glossop half, he then layed the ball to his left for Burns who returned a perfect cross to the edge of the area for Taylor to meet with a firm 20 yard header that gave the keeper no chance. Mossley almost shot themselves in the foot just before the break when they failed to defend a deep free kick from the right and Nick Wild headed Glossop back into the game. The second half was very scrappy with Glossop desperately seeking an equaliser and it nearly came when Prest broke clear but Hackney blocked his effort. Ally Pickering introduced Bradley Wosahlo and he duly obliged with a late double strike to seal the points. Tony Coyne's 75th minute corner saw Mark Phillips flick on a header and Wosahlo was there at the far post to head home from close range to effectively seal victory. Wosahlo added an excellent second two minutes from time when he raced onto Ricky Harris' through ball to confidently stroke home. Glossop had a last minute chance to score a consolation but veteran striker Mark Carter cleared the cross-bar with a poorly struck penalty kick after Taylor had been penalised for a foul.

Verdict: Difficult conditions but comfortably dealt with!

Team: Rob Hackney, Paul Mitten, John Foster, Damien Wilkinson, Paul Taylor, Mark Phillips, Steve Burns, Ricky Harris, Mike Turner, Andy Gayle, Tony Coyne.subs. Bradley Wosahlo (for Gayle), Russell Headley (for Burns), Kenny Abbott (not used).

booked: Foster


Mossley were held to a draw in the local 'derby' at Lambeth Grove this afternoon in an end to end encounter that saw Mossley unlucky not to win but also fortunate not to lose. Mossley had the better of the opening exchanges with Wosahlo, Harris and Griggs looking dangerous for the visitors and came closest to scoring when Paul taylor's header was cleared off the line. Woodley took a surprise lead on 26 minutes when Mike Norton flicked a close range header past Rob Hackney following a corner. Mossley's reply was almost immediateas a spell of pressurev ended when Griggs crossed from the right and Wosahlo touched the ball on for Ricky Harris to gleefully score his first Mossley goal from close range. After the break the main talking points involved the officials as first Mossley were denied a penalty when Wosahlo broke clear only to be bodychecked 'Schumaker' style by home keeper Morris but the referee waved play on when a penalty and red card seemed more likely. An assistant referee received teh wrath of the Mossley fans with two appalling off-side decisions against Wosahlo and Harris respectively. While Wosahlo fired inches wide with a terrific drive and Harris and Waosahlo combined superby only for a defender to block the latter's goal-bound effort with an arm. At the other end the main threat came from the pace of Norton but it was Woodley substitute Gavin Salmon who will most want to forget this game as he fired wide of an open goal after Hackney had mis-kicked a clearance five minutes from time.

Verdict: Unlucky, only one point and lucky to get it!

Team: Rob Hackney, Tony Gaffey, Damien Wilkinson, John Foster, Paul Taylor, Mark Phillips, Steve Burns, Tony Coyne, Ricky Harris, Bradley Wosahlo, Danny Griggs. subs. Russell Headley (Griggs), Andy Gayle (for Burns), Paul Miiten (for Gaffey).

booked: Taylor, Burns


Mossley lost out on the chance to reach this year's Manchester Premier Cup Final due to a poor second half peformance. Mossley had opened shakily but once they settled down looked the more threatening side despite the absense of the injured Ricky Harris, flu victim Bradley Wosahlo and the unavailable Mark Paver and John Foster. Mossley had Danny Griggs making his debut and he was impressive throughout while Salford had the excellent Mattie Hughes back in the side and he twice clipped the bar for the visitors in the opening half. Andy Gayle had the ball in the net for Mossley but was penalised for a highly dubious off-side, while Griggs hit two excellent strikes that almost opened the scoring and the Lilywhites just about deserved their 35th minute lead. Gayle placed a delicate through ball for Mike Turner who confidently lobbed Melville to put Mossleyu ahead. Unfortunately Mossley opened the second half as shakily as they had the first and Salford were allowed to attack at will as the Mossley midfield struggled against an increasing wind. Salford's equaliser owed much to the wind as Francis Vaughan's 59th minute cross from the right floated into the top corner of the net and Mossley had a severe attack of the jitters with the normally highly competent Paul Taylor and Mark Phillips all at sea as Salford edged in front just three minutes later thanks to a Rhodri Giggs strike. Substitute Russell Headley had Mossley's best two chances thereafter but he failed to really test Melville as Mossley struggled to break down a solid Salford defence who held on reasonably comfortably to earn a place in the final against Ashton United.

Verdict: Very, very disappointing, but at least the floodlights worked!

Team: Rob Hackney, Tony Gaffey, Mark Phillips, Steve Burns, Paul Taylor, Damien Wilkinson, Paul Mitten, Tony Coyne, Mike Turner, Andy Gayle, Danny Griggs. subs. Russell Headley (for Turner), Darren Wardle (for Burns), Kenny Abbott (for Mitten), Ally Pickering.

booked: Gaffey, Burns, Mitten


Mossley were made to work all the way to clinch victory over neighbours Glossop in today's 'derby' game at a muddy Seel Park. Mossley made the best of starts with a fortuitous opening goal in only the 6th minute. Glossop keeper Andrew Nicholson made a complete hash of a goal-kick and sliced the ball to Mike Turner who had the simplest jobs of rolling the ball into an empty net. At this stage a possible rout looked on the cards as Turner volleyed over from a good position and Coyne was denied by Nicholson. However the Lilywhites were stunned on 16 minutes when they failed to clear Glossop's first real attack and Steve Burns somehow sliced the ball into his own net. Mossley continued to press in the energy sapping mud but it was difficult to play controlled football. The breakthrough finally came two minutes before the break as John Foster crossed from deep on the right and Bradley Wosahlo netted his 23rd goal of the season with a far post header. Glossop's one and only meaningful attack of the second period brought a second equaliser as a cross from the right was only partially cleared and Renshaw was able to cross again for left back Danny Wild to head home at the far post. Mossley attacked continuously for the whole of the remainder of the game, but with Glossop defending in numbers and the pitch cutting up badly it became increasingly difficult to break the visitors down. The deserved winning goal finally arrived in the 74th minute. Glossop were caught off-side just inside Mossley's half, Sponsors Man of the Match Paul Taylor launched a free kick forward, Mike Turner flicked on a header and Steve Burns stole in a slot the ball past a stranded Nicholson. Mossley continued to attack and had several half chances to increase the lead but in the end everyone was happy to gain the three points and climb to 5th position, Mossley's highest since the arrival of Ally Pickering.

Verdict: Hard going, but well earned win in on a very sticky wicket!

Team: Rob Hackney, John Foster, Russell Headley, Mark Paver, Paul Taylor, Mark Philips, Steve Burns, Tony Coyne, Mike Turner, Bradley Wosahlo, Damien Wilkinson. subs. Paul Mitten (for Headley), Andy Gayle (for Wosahlo), Darren Wardle (for Turner).

booked: Phillips

MOSSLEY 1 SALFORD CITY 0 abandoned 79 minutes

Mossley's Manchester Premier Cup Semi Final against Salford City was in doubt right up to kick off following some terrible weather, but having got the game on Mossley were leading 1-0 with just 11 minutes remaining when two floodlight pylons lost power and referee Mark Astley took the players off. Three more unsuccessful attempts to restart the lights failed and the game was finally abandoned at just after 10 p.m.
Earlier Mossley had enjoyed the early presssure and had the ball in the Salford net on 15 minutes but Wosahlo's strike was disallowed for a push by Phillips. However, two minutes later Tony Coyne floated a free kick from deep on the right, Andy Gayle struck a post and Bradley Wosahlo followed up to score from close range. Mossley held the edge throughout the first half but were unfortunate to lose the influential Ricky Harris at half time with a groin strain. After the break Salford applied plenty of pressure but created few openings, the most notable of those saw Rob Hackney make a superb save from Rhodri Giggs' header. Mossley introduced Darren Wardle for his first appearance of the season but five minutes later it was frustratingly all over!
The game will now be replayed at Seel Park next Tuesday (5th March - 7.45 p.m.) causing the postponement of the Congleton away game.

Verdict: Oh No!

Team: Rob Hackney, Tony Gaffey, Russell Headley, Damien Wilkinson, Paul Taylor, Mark Phillips, Steve Burns, Ricky Harris, Andy Gayle, Bradley Wosahlo, Tony Coyne. Subs. PPaul Mitten, Mike Turner, Darren Wardle (for Gayle), Kenny Abbott (for Harris), Danny Griggs.

booked: Wilkinson


Substitute striker Mike Turner was the hero of the day as Mossley deservedly took maximum points against a defense minded Newcastle Town at Seel Park this afternoon. It was his header 6 minutes from time that finally sealed victory in what was a surprisingly one-sided encounter. The fact that Mossley could only muster a solitary goal was totally down to one man - Newcastle keeper Simon Pay who had an outstanding game for the visitors who had everything bar the proverbial kitchen sink thrown at them. Mossley were dominant throughout with the centre midfield line up of Ricky Harris, Tony Coyne and sponsors Man of the Match Steve Burns constantly probing, Andy Gayle and Bradley Wosahlo causing havoc for the over-worked Newcastle defence and Paul Taylor, Mark Phillips and debutant John Foster as solid as a rock at the back. Tony Gaffey and Kenny Abbott also worked the flanks well as Mossley restricted Newcastle to hopeful long balls and NWCL laeding scorer Andy Bott was nowhere to be seen. Pay earned his pay, so to speak, with a string of super saves to deny the electric Andy Gayle on more than one occasion, while his acrobatics also kept Harris, Wosahlo and Phillips at bay. It looked like the winner wasn't going to happen until Gayle won an 84th minute corner on the right. Steve Burns took it and substitute Mike Turner powered home a ten yard header that finally gave Pay no chance. Newcastle had little to offer in response during the closing minutes as the excellent defence allowed Rob Hackney to keep one of the easiest clean sheets he will ever earn.

Verdict: Excellent, more of the same please!

Team: Rob Hackney, Tony Gaffey, Kenny Abbott, John Foster, Paul Taylor, Mark Phillips, Steve Burns, Ricky Harris, Andy Gayle, Bradley Wosahlo, Tony Coyne. subs. Paul Mitten (not used), Mike Turner (for Wosahlo), Russell Headley (for Abbott).


Mossley bounced back to winning ways at a bumpy Cantilever Park this evening thanks to two well taken first half goals. The condition of the playing surface made constructive football difficult but it was Mossley who settled first after a tentative opening period. The opening goal came after 25 minutes. Mossley had won a succession of corners and were camped in the Warrington half when Bradley Wosahlo wriggled free of his marker on the right, his cross was only cleared as far as Damien Wilkinson who was lurking on the edge of the box and he volleyed home in fine style. Mossley were well on top and Ricky Harris was unlucky when his header came back off the bar and Andy Gayle's effort was well saved by McCormack. Mossley doubled their advantage on 38 minutes. Tony Coyne's right wing corner found Harris who's effort was blocked only for the ball to break to skipper Paul Taylor who rifled home through a forest of players from 20 yards. The second half looked set to follow the same pattern with Mossley forcing the pace. McCormack made a superb save to deny the impressive Ricky Harris and Mark Phillips volleyed narrowly wide. A great six man move the length of the field was ruined when Gayle lost his footing as he was lining up to shoot and that was just about Mossley's last chance as Warrtington finally got their act together. The home side reduced the arrears on 71 minutes when Mike Heverin rose to head home a free kick from deep on the left and Mossley, from coasting at 2-0, were suddenly up against it at 2-1. Tony Coyne came to Mossley's rescue when he blocked another Heverin effort on the line but fortunately that was the best Warrington could muster and the points were won.

Verdict: Good points but Mossley almost paid the price for complacency!

Team: Rob Hackney, Tony Coyne, Kenny Abbott, Tony Gaffey, Paul Taylor, Mark Phillips, Steve Burns, Ricky Harris, Andy Gayle, Bradley Wosahlo, Damien Wilkinson. subs. Paul Mitten (for Wilkinson), Russell Headley (for Gayle), Mike Turner (for Wosahlo).

booked: Wilkinson, Hackney


Mossley were robbed of a point at a windswept Moor Lane by a terrible decision made by an assistant referee who ruled that Paul Taylor's 85th minute foul on Rhodri Giggs, although obviously outside the area, was seen as a penalty and Karl Marginson scored from the spot to give the spoils undeservedly to Salford. Mossley had first benefit of the strong wind but it took some time for either team to settle as ball control was difficult in the blustery wind. When things finally did settle it was Mossley who looked the likeliest. Andy Gayle saw his header saved by Melville before a superb seven man move eneded with Bradley Wosahlo's effort frfom the tightest of angles being turned for a corner. Mossley took a deserved lead in the 31st minute. Debutant Ricky Harris played a superb deftly placed through ball for Andy Gayle who gleefully lobbed the ball over a stranded Melville. Salford's only threat of the half came from crosses and hopeful long range efforts. The second half saw Salford with wind advantage but they were struggling to piece their game together and despite dominating possession they threatened rarely until the 75th minute when a smart move ended with Tony Cullen placing a well hit shot into the corner of the net for the equaliser. At this point a draw looked a fair result but the match officials had other ideas. culminating in the linesman's costly error just five minutes from time.

Verdict: Mossley deserved at least a point but the officials decided otherwise!

Team: Rob Hackney, Tony Gaffey, Mark Phillips, Mark Paver, Paul Taylor, Damien Wilkinson, Tony Coyne, Ricky Harris, Andy Gayle, Bradley Wosahlo, Paul Mitten. subs. Steve Burns (for Coyne), Mike Turner (for Gayle), Russell Headley (for Gaffey).


Woodley came to Seel Park hopeful of pinching at least a point and took all three after scoring a 69th minute winner with their first on target effort of the game...and that was an over-hit cross. Earlier Mossley had almost totally dominated play but were constantly thwarted by some excellent defending and goalkeeping, along with some poor finishing from a decidedly off key forward line. Ally Pickering was forced to reshuffle midfield with Tony Coyne and Pedro Brennan injured and with the forwards and midfield unable to make many inroads into a packed Woodley defence chances in the first half were at a premium. The closest Mossley came was on the half hour when a frantic scramble in the box saw Andy Gayle twice have efforts blocked on the line. The second half saw Mossley in complete command and the first goal looked inevitable as the pressure built with a succession of corners but Steve Morris in the Woodley goal coped superbly with everything Mossley could throw at him. The sucker punch came totally against the run of play. Woodley were awarded a free kick some thirty yards out on the right wing. Richard Ferguson's cross was over-hit and managed to elude everyone and finish in the back of the Mossley net. It was a stunning blow after such a one-sided half. Mossley attempted to recover with the arrival of subs Mike Turner and Danny Chadderton and were denied an equaliser when Morris colided with a post in trying punch clear from Turner's head but the referee blew for a foul as Chadderton half volleyed home from 20 yards. As the game became increasingly stretched Mossley threw caution to the wind by playing with six up front and Woodley might have sneaked a second when Kneen broke clear but he shot wide when well placed, while Mossley's hopeful punts into a crowded visitors box caused little consternation for the well drilled Woodley defence.

Verdict: Pressure not enough without goals!

Team: Rob Hackney, Colin Heywood, Paul Mitten, Tony Gaffey, Paul Taylor, Mark Phillips, Steve Burns, Damien Wilkinson, Andy Gayle, Bradley Wosahlo, Russell Headley. subs. Danny Chadderton (for Headley), Mike Turner (for Mitten) Ian Hutchinson (for Burns).

booked: Burns


Mossley romped to victory over Atherton Collieries at Seel Park this afternoon with an emphatic five goal haul. It proved to be a comfortable afternoon for the rampant Lilywhites as Atherton offerered little resistance, a surprise following their midweek win at Newcastle. Colls came to frustrate and kept eight men behind the ball throughout the opening period allowing Mossley lot's of possession but few openings. However, all that changed in the 24th minute. Sponsors 'man of the match' Andy Gayle sped down the right wing and whipped in a super cross Bradley Wosahlo won the headed challenge on the edge of the box and Damien Wilkinson picked his spot from eight yards. Atherton had little answer to Mossley's movement and the inevitable second goal came on 38 minutes. Russell Headley typically twisted and turned his marker before crossing for Andy Gayle to back head over a stranded keeper. Two minutes later and it was three as Steve Burns clever through ball released Wosahlo who comfortably rounded the keeper before slotting home. Mossley had to wait until the 70th minute to net the fourth goal, A corner from the right wasn't cleared and Gayle rifled his second through a ruck of players from an awkward angle. A minute later a poor clearance from the otherwise impeccable Rob Hackney gave Ian Gibson the opportunity to net a consolation for the shell-shocked visitors though it was an excellent chip! Substitute Mike Turner added the fifth in the 76th minute when he headed home after Colin Heywood and Gayle had linked well on the left. Turner ought to have doubled his tally moments later but he blasted wide when it looked easier to score from Heywood's cross.

Verdict: Good display as winning run continues!

Team: Rob Hackney, Tony Gaffey, Mark Phillips, Mark Paver, Paul Taylor, Damien Wilkinson, Steve Burns, Tony Coyne, Andy Gayle, Bradley Wosahlo, Russell Headley. subs. Mike Turner (for Wosahlo), Colin Heywood (for Wilkinson), Pedro Brennan (for Burns).

booked: Coyne, Burns


Mossley, with several enforced changes, forged through to the semi finals of the Manchester Premier Cup with a gritty performance at Seel Park tonight. Without several regular players for various reasons Ally Pickering gave full debuts to three of his recent signings - Colin Heywood, Tony Coyne and Damien Wilkinson, and all three came through with flying colours as Mossley gave their all in an epic cup tie. Mossley began slowly as Curzon made all the early running and the visitors took a deserved lead in the 11th minute when Matthewsstole in unmarked to score from close range. The Lilywhites were under the cosh but equalised with a breakaway goal in the 21st minute. Russell Headley, who was outstanding all evening made a break from half-way and fed Bradley Wosahlo who's slightly mis-hit shot still found the net off a post. Mossley bouyed by the equaliser began to dominate and the game changed radically on 32 minutes. Wosahlo's goal-bound effort was handled on the line by Dave Birch and although the rebound was netted the referee had already blown and awarded Mossley a penalty. Birch was red-carded and Steve Burns rattled home the spot kick to give Mossley the lead. An injury to the referee saw the senior assistant take over in the middle for the second half with supporter Geoff Dean (a class 1 ref) take over on the line. Mossley were rewarded with a high quality goal just two minutes into the sercond half A neat one-two saw Colin Heywood scorch a spectacular 30 yard left footer into the top corner. Seven minutes later Mossley added a fourth when Heywood broke down the middle and fed Russell Headley who made no mistake from 10 yards. Curzon reduced the arrears through a looping Anthony Callaghan header on 67 minutes and four minutes from time substityute Ian Cocks closed the gap further when he netted from 10 yards causing Mossley a worrying last few minutes but the defence held firm to gain a deserved passage to the semis.

Verdict: Cracking cup tie, deserved victory!

Team: Rob Hackney, Bradley Clegg, Paul Mitten, Steve Burns, Paul Taylor, Gary Thomas, Colin Heywood, Tony Coyne, Russell Headley, Bradley Wosahlo, Damien Wilkinson. subs: Mike Turner (for Clegg), Pedro Brennan (for Mitten), Tony Gaffey (for Thomas), Danny Mitten, Ally Pickering.

booked: Heywood


Mossley came back from a two goal defecit to record a last minute 3-2 victory against title chasing Skelmersdale United at a windswept White Moss Park this afternoon. Playing into the strong wind and in their first game for a month - Mossley struggled throughout the first half to clear their lines and had Rob Hackney to thank on more than one occasion with some sound goalkeeping to keep the under pressure Lilywhites in the game. It was no real surprise though when Skem took a 16th minute lead. A loose pass accross the back four fell for right winger Phil Cooney who picked his spot with a powerful drive from 20 yards. Mossley's best chances of a poor first half fell for Bradley Wosahlo who was first denied by keeper Holcroft and then fired wide when well placed. The second half saw Mossley with the wind at their backs begin to exert a little pressure for the first time and Steve Burns hit the bar with a superb quick free kick. However, it was Skem who doubled their advantage in the 60th minute when indecision between skipper Paul Taylor and Hackney saw Stuart Rudd able to walk the ball into the net. Mossley finally got a foothold in the game with fourteen minutes remaining. Burns' free kick from the left after Headley had been fouled saw the slightest of touches off substitute Andy Gayle's head wrong foot the keeper to half the arrears. Finally finding some belief Mossley piled forward in search of an equaliser and that duly arrived with just two minutes remaining. Sub Paul Mitten curled a shot against the bar after good work by Gary Thomas and Wosahlo was on hand to net his 20th goal of the season from the rebound. Mossley might have scored an immediate winner but Holcroft made a great double save to deny Gayle, but the Mossley striker had the last laugh as a great through ball from impressive debutant Mark Phillips put Gayle in the clear and he calmly slotted the ball past the advancing keeper as Mossley's large travelling support erupted into joyous cheers. Skem, shattered and disheartened had only time to kick off before the final whistle.

Verdict: Great character, great comeback!

Team: Rob Hackney, Tony Gaffey, Danny Chadderton, Mark Paver, Paul Taylor, Mark Phillips, Steve Burns, Pedro Brennan, Mike Turner, Bradley Wosahlo, Gary Thomas. subs. Andy Gayle (for Brennan), Russell Headley (for Chadderton), Paul Mitten (for Turner).


Mossley had to defend for long spells in the second half to hang on to what had earlier looked like a comfortable victory against much improved Nantwich Town at Seel Park this afternoon. The Lilywhites had a dream start taking the lead in their first attack when Tony Gaffey's deep cross from the right was slammed home by Bradley Wosahlo. Ten minutes later the Lilywhites were two up as Paul Taylor crossed from the right and Mike Turner's shot was blocked by Heeps Wosahlo hit the bar with the rebound and Turner reacted first as the ball came out again to score from close range. The best goal of the game came after half an hour when Russell Headley's right wing corner was superbly hit home on the half volley by Bradley Wosahlo. Mossley looked like scoring with every attack at this point but it was the visitors who pulled a goal back just before the break when the elusive Danny Griggs was left in acres of room to score from Dawson's pass. The second half was a very different story as Nantwich reduced the arrears further just five minutes after the restart when Griggs scored his and his team's second. Mossley were now forced onto the back-foot as Nantwich with new belief and spured on by player-manager Nigel Gleghorn went in search of an equaliser. Nantwich rose above their League position with a scintillating performance, creating several openings and shooting on sight as Mossley failed to get out of the blocks after being on cruise control. Gleghorn hit the post with a rasping 25 yarder and Rob Hackney gave another man of the match display with several excellent saves and despite coming under a barrage of pressure Mossley held on to gain the three points.

Verdict: A game of two halves!

Team: Rob Hackney, Tony Gaffey, Steve Burns, Mark Paver, Paul Taylor, Gary Thomas, Paul Mitten, Pedro Brennan, Mike Turner, Bradley Wosahlo, Russell Headley. Subs. Padi Wilson (for Turner), Tony Coyne (for Mitten), Andy Gayle (for Wosahlo).

booked: Thomas, Wilson


Mossley kept their discipline as Abbey Hey completely lost theirs with an overphysical first half performance which saw two home players dismissed. The game started well for Abbey as they took a surprise 2nd minute lead when Singleton's cross was lost in the sun by Rob Hackney and the unfortunate Mossley keeper could only palm the ball into his own net. The main turning point came five minutes later when Abbey's Sean Pickering lashed a foot at Paul Taylor and was promptly sent off. Mossley began to take control and the inevitable equaliser came on 15 minutes when Gary Thomas made space on the left and his cross was headed home at the far post by Padi Wilson. It was all Mossley now and Mossley took the lead in the 23rd minute as Andy Gayle wriggled around two defenders and although Williams asved his shot Bradley Wosahlo was on hand to tap home the rebound. Worse was to follow for Abbey as Harris was sent off for a second crude challenge on Russell Headley. Mossley extended the lead four minutes after the break when Tony Gaffey fed Wosahlo who turned to shoot home from ten yards. The expected avalanche failed to happen though as Mossley squandered several chances and even missed a penalty when Wosahlo, seeking his second hat-trick of the campaign placed his spot kick wide of the left hand post.

Verdict: Great discipline, well earned points!

Team: Rob Hackney, Tony Gaffey, Bradley Clegg, Mark Paver, Paul Taylor, Gary Thomas, Andy Gayle, Pedro Brennan, Padi Wilson, Bradley Wosahlo, Russell Headley. subs. Mike Turner (for Gayle), Paul Mitten (for Headley), Steve Burns (for Paver).


Ally Pickering's first game in charge saw Mossley held by promotion chasing Prescot Cables at Seel Park this afternoon in a pulsating game that saw a host of chances for both sides and some excellent goalkeeping.
With several enforced changes due to players departing it was always going to take Mossley a while to settle and Prescot surged forward creating several chances in the early stages. Rob Hackney was again in superb form however and he made a string of fine saves to keep the visitors at bay. As Mossley edged into the game it became apparent that they too could create openings and Mike Turner was twice denied by impressive Prescot keeper Paul Dahl and Bradley Wosahlo's effort was hooked off the line. Dahl was again forced into a fine save as Abndy Gayle broke clear down the left and he saved acrobatically to deny Russell Headley.
After the break it was more of the same with chances at both ends but it was Mossley who made the breakthrough on 64 minutes. Substitute Padi Wilson had already been denied by Dahl twice before his neat approach play set up Wosahlo who's shot was blocked only for Andy Gayle to follow up and score from close range. Prescot worked hard to get back in the game but Mossley's defence was playing well and kept them at bay until six minutes from time. Mark Paver was harshly adjudged to have fouled Jensen on the edge of the box and the defensive wall easily blocked Andy Hayes free kick only for a second foul to be awarded as the ball broke clear. This time Hayes curled a great strike in off the post and Prescot salvaged a point.

Verdict: Battling performance just when it was needed!

Team: Rob Hackney, Tony Gaffey, Bradley Clegg, Mark Paver, Paul Taylor, Gary Thomas, Andy Gayle, Pedro Brennan, Mike Turner, Bradley Wosahlo, Russell Headley. subs. Padi Wilson (for Turner), Paul Mitten (for Gayle), Damien Wilkinson (for Brennan).


Mossley lost narrowly to League leaders St. Helens Town at Knowsley Road this afternoon as substitutes again robbed Mossley of vital points. It was all going to plan in a even first half that saw few chances for either side with defences looking comfortable. After the break Mossley started to spread the play and took the lead with a superb goal on 49 minutes. Tony Gaffey fed Russell Headley on the right and the young winger threaded an inch perfect pass for Bradley Wosahlo to coolly round keeper Wood to score. Mossley pressed on looking for a second goal but it was the introduction of St. Helens substitute Lee Cooper that turned the game around. He received his first pass on the left wing, cut inside and sped past the covering defenders before slotting home past Rob Hackney. Mossley might have regained the lead shortly after when Wosahlo was again put clear but after surviving a shirtt tug he pulled his shot narrowly wide. St. Helens upped the tempo and started to create chances but Hackney was again in fine form. The home side's winner came eight minutes from time when they awarded a free kick on the edge of the area after Paul Taylor had fouled Cooper and another substitute - Lee Dunn curled a great shot into the top corner. Mossley were denied again late on when sub Padi Wilson's pace created a chance that was denied by a foul that referee and former Mossley goalkeeper Andy Newell didn't spot and the home side held on to take the points.

Verdict: Mossley ran out of steam again!

Team: Rob Hackney, Tony Gaffey, Paul Barrow, Steve Burns, Paul Taylor, Pedro Brennan, Russell Headley, Gary Thomas, Ian Barker, Bradley Wosahlo, Stevev Mallinson. subs. Paul Mitten (for Headley), Padi Wilson (for Barker), Andy Gayle (for Wosahlo).


Mossley somehow managed to clinch defeat from the jaws of victory in this afternoon's FA Vase tie at New Ferens Park. Mossley, with the legendary Bob Murphy in charge for the day, gave a superb first half display but paid the absolute price by not finishing off opposition that they had totally out-played for the first 75 minutes.
Mossley made a great start when Steve Mallinson worked space for himself on the edge of the area and placed a great shot in the bottom corner in only the 2nd minute. The experienced home side were visibly rocked as Mossley played some exquisite pass and move football with Gary Thomas completely dominating midfield. It was Thomas who deservedly grabbed Mossley's second in the 22nd minute when he headed home from Steve Burns left wing cross. It was all too easy for Mossley on a big flat pitch they looked a great side and were making the highly rated Durham team look like second raters. Unfortunately, chances started to go begging. Ian Barker headed against the post Wosahlo and Headley both fired narrowly over and home keeper Riches was lucky to palm away crosses under pressure on a couple of occasions. The second half saw Mossley still on top with Durham creating very lttle. All that changed though with Durham's 70th minute introduction of veteran striker Micky Taylor. Taylor pulled a goal back on 75 minutes and after a Mossley attack broke down a minute later Durham were level as Taylor was allowed an acre of space to find the net. Unbelievable! From total command to instant pressure in the space of a minute. Still Mossley had the best chance to clinch victory in the 90 minutes when Ian Barker raced clear in the dying seconds only for Riches to somehow touch the ball for a corner and the game went to extra time. Four minutes into the extra period Durham went ahead and it was that man Taylor again, completing his hat-trick after Mossley had failed to clear a goal-mouth scramble. Thereafter it was an uphill struggle for Mossley, lacking fit substitutes and with Thomas and Brennan waning in midfield, Durham were able to hold on for what had seemed a highly improbable victory.

Verdict: From the sublime to the ridiculous! Unbelievable!

Team: Rob Hackney, Tony Gaffey, Paul Barrow, Steve Burns, Paul Taylor, Pedro Brennan, Russell Headley, Gary Thomas, Ian Barker, Bradley Wosahlo, Steve Mallinson. subs. Paul Mitten (for Thomas), Bradley Clegg (for Burns), Danny Mitten, Ross Clegg, Mike Turner.

booked: Wosahlo, Barker


Mossley gave a superb performance to silence the critics this afternoon with a five goal salvo against a powerful Kidsgrove Athletic side, to sail through to the third round of the Worthington Trophy. Mossley gave notice of their intentions early on as the pace of new striker Padi Wilson twice tore holes in the visitors rearguard but on both occasions Kidsgrove somehow survived. However, Mossley only had to wait til the 7th minute to open the scoring as Paul Taylor headed home from Steve Burns' left wing free kick. Kidsgrove came into the game at last and Rob Hackney had to be alert to save from Tobin and Wilson-Cunningham before Mossley deservedly doubled their lead on 32 minutes. Gary Thomas fed Padi Wilson who turned his marker before rifling a super shot into the bottom corner. Kidsgrove reduced the arrears six minutes before the break when Dean Wilson-Cunningham's shot took a wicked deflection past Hackney. Mossley were not to be denied though! 11 minutes into the second half Steve Mallinson switched play from left to right and Russell Headley's fine cross was headed home by Wilson for his second goal of the afternoon. Wilson turned provider for Mossley's fourth 10 minutes from time as he teed up Ian Barker who thundered a terrific drive into the roof of the net. Kidsgrove reduced the arrears two minutes later with a great shot from full back Bradley Sandeman but it was surely Mossley's day as Ian Barker rounded off a fine move down the right involving Headley and debutant substitute Paul Mitten four minutes from time.

Verdict: Much, much, much better!

Team: Rob Hackney, Russell Headley, Paul Barrow, Gary Thomas, Paul Taylor, Pedro Brennan, Tony Gaffey, Steve Burns, Ian Barker, Padi Wilson, Steve Mallinson. subs. Paul Mitten (for Mallinson), Bradley Wosahlo (for Wilson), Andy Gayle (for Barker).

booked: Hackney


Mossley were beaten by extreme weather conditions as much as by their opponents as they went down 2-0 at Winsford United's Barton Stadium tonight. Mosley had opened brightly playing into the teeth of a strong wind but as all too often lately the final ball into the area was lacking and when chances were created the buck was too often passed on. Winsford took the lead with an incredible piece of wind assisted luck on 25 minutes. Winsford keeper Matthew Conkie's long clearance caught in the wind bounced awkwardly over Rob Hackney and left the Mossley keeper as the most embarrassed man in mid-Cheshire. It was rough justice on Mossley who had played well against the wind and had looked the most likely to score. Ironically, just after the half time break the heavens opened and the wind changed direction leaving Mossley to play against the wind again. However just before that Mossley were twice denied by the acrobatics of Conkie as he saved well from Wosahlo and Barker. Mossley introduced the enigmatic Padi Wilson but to no avail and Winsford secured the points in heavy rain on 75 minutes when Ian Dyson rounded off Winsford's best move of a terrible night.

Verdict: When the gods are against you as well....!!!

Team: Rob Hackney, Russell Headley, Paul Barrow, Steve Hibbert, Paul Taylor, Pedro Brennan, Paul Robertson, Steve Burns, Ian Barker, Bradley Wosahlo, Steve Mallinson. subs. Tony Gaffey, Padi Wilson (for Headley), Gary Thomas.

booked: Mallinson, Burns


Mossley lost serious headway in the title race with another below par performance as they were held to a 2-2 draw by neighbours Curzon Ashton at Seel Park this afternoon. It was a poor first half performance that saw the Lilywhites fall behind in the 10th minute when Steve Mallinson uluckily turned Dean's low cross into his own goal. Mossley were finding it difficult to find any rhythm as Curzon constantly broke play up with any number of fouls being awarded for Mossley. Moslsey also lost Paul Barrow and the decidedly off-colour Mike Turner during the half while Rob Hackney was by far the busier keeper as Curzon shot on sight. However, Mossley still forced an equaliser on the stroke of half time. Steve Burns' free kick was floated toweards the box, Steve Hibbert rose highest to flick on and Bradley Wosahlo completely mis-kicked in fronty of goal only to see his awful shot confuse the keeper as it looped over his head and into the net. After the break Mossley began to finally get a grip of the game and just about deserved the lead when it came on 73 minutes. Burns' corner from the left was fumbled by keeper Berry and Ian Barker was on hand to score from close range. Mossley had a great chance to seal the points when Wosahlo went clear but although his shot beat the advancing keeper it aws cleared off the line against the post and away. Hackney then kept Mossley in front with a couple of smart saves before Curzon forged an equaliser through Matty Wearden four minutes from time.

Verdict: Oh, no, another draw!!!

Team: Rob Hackney, Russell Headley, Paul Barrow, Steve Hibbert, Paul Taylor, Ross Clegg, Paul Robertson, Steve Burns, Mike Turner, Bradley Wosahlo, Steve Mallinson. subs. Tony Gaffey (for Barrow), Ian Barker (for Turner), Pedro Brennan.


Mossley eventually coasted into the second round of the FA Carlsberg Vase this afternoon but it took extra time to seal victory against a stubborn Flixton side at Seel Park this afternoon. Mossley ahd struggled to dominate in an even first half that saw the visitors create the better chances but Wade missed a sitter and Rob Hackney made a fine save from Robinson. Flixton had been hit by a triple first half injury blow that had seen them use all three substitutes before the interval. After the break Mossley dominated completely but former Mossley keeper Richard Bibby was in top form and he made several vital saves forcing the game into extra time. What Mossley had failed to do in 90 minutes they took only one minute to achieve in extra time. Great work by the outstanding Steve Mallinson down the right resulted in Ross Clegg scoring in the bottom corner with a 20 yard left foot drive. Mossley continued their complete domination of tiring opponents and added a deserved second goal four minutes into the second period. Paul Robertson crossed from the left and Steve Mallinson controlled well before turning to score from eighteen yards. Mossley made absolutely certain five minutes from time when substitute Tony Gaffey crossed from the right and Pedro Brennan rose to head home and seal Mossley's place in the second round.

Verdict: Hard going but deservedly comfortable in the end!

Team: Rob Hackney, Russell Headley, Paul Barrow, Pedro Brennan, Paul Taylor, Ross Clegg, Paul Robertson, Steve Burns, Mike Turner, Bradley Wosahlo, Steve Mallinson. subs. Tony Gaffey (for Turner), Mark Paver, Dave Wynn, Andy Gayle.

booked: Taylor, Barrow


A forgotten hero of Seel Park came out of the shadows to play a starring role in tonight's 1-1 draw against a very useful St. Helens Town side at Seel Park. The veteran 38 year old giant centre half gave a 'man of the match' display as Mossley struggled for much of the game against their fellow promotion candidates. St. Helens caused Mossley a lot of problems with their hustling direct approach but man mountain Hibbert, skipper Paul Taylor and keeper Rob Hackney were outstanding as the Mossley defence got it's sternest test of the season. With the midfield not fubctioning as a unit Mossley had few outlets in a game that was dominated by the visitors. However, after Hackney had twice denied Cooper and Barker had hobbled off injured it was Mossley who took the lead on 36 minutes. Paul Robertson's corner from the right was powerfully and superbly headed home by Steve Hibbert. The second half saw Mossley on the back foot as St. Helens pressed hard for an equaliser and that finally came in the 64th minute. Mallinson lost possession in midfield and Ashton was able to cross for Paul Heavey to score from close range. Mossley finally woke up as an attacking force and Mike Turner had an excellent chance to put Mossley in front but his close range effort missed the post and both sides battled doggedly for a point.

Verdict: Hard earned point for below par Mossley!

Team: Rob Hackney, Ally Pickering, Paul Barrow, Steve Hibbert, Paul Taylor, Ross Clegg, Paul Robertson, Steve Burns, Ian Barker, Bradley Wosahlo, Steve Mallinson. subs. Mike Turner (for Barker), Russell Headley, Pedro Brennan.

booked: Burns, Pickering


The Lilywhites had gotten off to a flying start and dominated the game from the start taking a deserved 10th minute lead when Bradley Wosahlo set up Ian Barker to score from 10 yards. Mossley then went into cruise control and instead of killing the game off they were guilty of over-playing and were stunned just before the interval when LR fashioned an equaliser. Paver conceded a foul just outside the area and while Rob Hackney was still lining up his wall Luke Hardman caught the Mossley defence off guard and scored with a quickly taken free kick. After the break Mossley never got into gear and with LR starting to find some self belief Hackney became the busier goalkeeper and had to be at his best to prevent the powerful Barry Massey from scoring on two occasions. The inevitable sucker punch came on 78 minutes. Former Mossley winger Mark Jones crossed from the left and Steve Strange headed home unchallenged. Mossley might have salvaged a last minute reprieve but substitute Pedro Brennan's effort was cleared off the line.

Verdict: Awful second half performance cost dearly!

Team: Rob Hackney, Ally Pickering, Paul Barrow, Mark Paver, Paul Taylor, Ross Clegg, Paul Robertson, Steve Burns, Ian Barker, Bradley Wosahlo, Steve Mallinson. subs. Mike Turner (for Wosahlo), Pedro Brennan (for Barrow), Russell Headley (for Mallinson).

booked: Paver, Taylor


Mossley salvaged a point from the jaws of defeat against a useful Prescot Cables side at Valerie Park tonight. Mossley opened brightly and forced the home side onto the back foot for the first twenty minutes without causing too many problems for a solid home defence martialled by man mountain Lee Riley leaving Wosahlo and Barker a starved of chances. The home side edged into the game and broke the deadlock on 25 minutes. The impressive Benson crossed frrom the left and Damien O'Donnell stooped to head home. Mossley continued to push forward but were still behind at the break. If Mossley had the lions share of play in the first half roles were reversed after the break as Prescot started to play further up the pitch in search of the killer goal. However, they counted without the excellent form of Mossley keeper Rob Hackney who made a couple of superb saves. The game hinged on the 70th minute arrival of Mossley substitute Mike Turner who took the game by the scruff of the neck and Mossley started to threaten at last. The big forward was finally rewarded five minutes from time when the previously impeccable Riley inexplicably headed the ball to Turner when facing his own goal and Turner turned on a sixpence to rifle home the equaliser to earn Mossley an excellent point.

Verdict: Very tough game - great point!

Team: Rob Hackney, Ally Pickering, Paul Barrow, Mark Paver, Paul taylor, Ross Clegg, Paul Robertson, Steve Burns, Ian Barker, Bradley Wosahlo, Pedro Brennan. subs. Steve Mallinson (for Burns), Mike Wolstenholme, Mike Turner (for Brennan).

booked: Burns


Mossley took maximum points in this six goal thriller at the Riverside Ground tonight in an incident packed game. Mossley got off to a flying start taking a fifth minute lead when Paul Robertson's free kick deep on the left was fumbled over the line by former Mossley keeper Martin Campbell. The first half was littered by stopages with an overly fussy referee not allowing the game to flow. Mossley had chances to extend their lead before the Ramsbottom were awarded a penalty when Drew Cain tangled with Russell Brierley but the Rammy striker saw his spot kick well saved by Rob Hackney. Ramsbottom were awarded a second penalty five minutes after the break for another foul by Cain but this time Brierley made no mistake to level the scores. Ramsbottom then enjoyed a spell of pressure but the Mossley defence held firm and then edged in front with a route one goal. Steve Burns through ball was flicked on by the head of Wosahlo and Ian Barker went through to lob home over the stranded Campbell. Yorke-Robinson then hit the bar for the home side before Mossley increased their lead. Barker broke down the right and his cross was turned home by Steve Mallinson. With two minutes remaining Rammy pulled a goal back albeit controversially. A goalmouth scramble saw the assistant referee award a goal when no-one else thought the ball had crossed the line and the situation turned nasty when Brierley lunged at keeper Hackney and several players got involved resulting in Brierley and Mossley's Paul Barrow being red-carded. Rammy scented they might be able to salvage a point but were thwarted when substitute Mike Wolstenholme's shot was headed off the line only to ricochet back into the net off Bradley Wosahlo's knee to round off the scoring.

Verdict: Hard work but vital points!

Team: Rob Hackney, Tony Gaffey, Paul Barrow, Mark Paver, Drew Cain, Ross Clegg, Paul Robertson, Steve Burns, Ian Barker, Bradley Wosahlo, Steve Mallinson. subs. Mike Garside (for Mallinson), Mike Wolstenholme (for Robertson), Pedro Brennan (for Barker).

booked: Paver, Clegg, Hackney. sent off: Barrow


Arrad, like Mossley have lost only one League game this season and it showed, they looked a useful outfit and caused an understrength Mossley side numerous problems. Mossley had Rob Hackney to thank early on with two excellent saves while at the other end Barker headed over and Wosahlo was thwarted by home keeper Sloane. Mossley took the lead on 22 minutes. Barrow fed Barker down the right and his early cross was knocked home from close range by Bradley Wosahlo for his 12th goal of the season. The game was fast and furious with both sides trying to play football on a damp tricky pitch and with wind and slope advantage Mossley undoubtedly deserved their half time lead. After the interval the home side pressed forward and Mossley's defence began to look uncomfortable but it was still a shock when Great Harwood equalised on 52 minutes. Coonan's deep cross from the left was uncharacteristically mishandled by Hackney and Lee Slater was on hand to score from close range as the ball fell at his feet. Hackney recovered his composure well as the home side had a lengthy spell of possession but it was Mossley who mighht have taken maximum points with two chances in the final minute of the game. First Wosahlo was unlucky when his header hit the post and was hooked to safety and then Mike Garside fired wide when very well placed as the League leaders had to settle for a point against a side that will worry a few other teams this season!

Verdict: Understrength side gain hard earned point!

Team: Rob Hackney, Ally Pickering, Paul Barrow, Mark Paver, Drew Cain, Ross Clegg, Mike Garside, Steve Burns, Ian Barker, Bradley Wosahlo, Steve Mallinson. subs not used: Russell Headley, Tony Gaffey, Pedro Brennan.


Ross Clegg was villain and hero as Mossley consolidated their position as League leaders with a solid performance to beat second placed Salford City at Seel Park this afternoon. Mossley's teenage midfield dynamo missed a 70th minute penalty and then wrapped up the game in the final minute with a fantastic solo goal. Mossley had gotten off to a cracking start when Mallinson's low cross was flicked on by Wosahlo for big Mike Turner to score his first goal of the season in the 8th minute. Salford pressed forward but the only real threat came from set pieces as Mossley defended solidly. The home side extended their lead on 24 minutes when Turner's flick set up Bradley Wosahlo who 'turned on a sixpence' to score off the underside of the bar. Mossley looked home and dry but were rocked on 35 minutes when Karl Marginson was allowed too much room and he drilled his shot into the bottom corner to reduce the arrears. After the break Salford tried to force the pace and dominated possession but tended to rely on high hopeful balls into the box but Rob Hackney handled well everything the 'Ammies' could throw at him. Mossley had the opportunity to clinch victory in the 70th minute when Wosahlo was fouled clumsily by ex Mossley player Dave Brown but Melville saved Ross Clegg's penalty kick. From then on Salford pressed hard but were unable to create any clear chances and the biggest cheer of an entertaining afternoon came in the very last minute when Ross Clegg carried the ball fully 70 yards down the right and cut inside to score an amazing solo goal.

Verdict: Good game - great win!

Team: Rob Hackney, Ally Pickering, Paul Barrow, Mark Paver, Paul Taylor, Ross Clegg, Paul Robertson, Steve Burns, Mike Turner, Bradley Wosahlo, Steve Mallinson. subs: Russell Headley (for Mallinson), Ian Barker (for Turner), Mike Garside (for Burns).

booked: Clegg, Taylor


Mossley climbed to poll position in the NWCL thanks to this 2-1 win at Atherton Collieries sloping and bumpy Alder Street ground tonight. The visitors had first use of the slope but the terrible state of the pitch made passing football all but impossible. Chances were few but Mike Turner might have done better when he skimmed a header from Paul Barrow's fine cross. The turning point came in the 35th minute when Colls defender Lee Potter retaliated on Ross Clegg and was instantly red carded. Mossley took a deserved lead seven minutes later when Wosahlo was upended in the box and Ross Clegg stepped up to rap home the resultant penalty. A minute before the break Mossley doubled their lead with a high quality goal. Barrow fed Bradley Wosahlo who side stepped around two defenders before burrying a great shot in the botom cortner from the edge of the box for his tenth goal of the campaign. After the break it needed all Mossley's dogged resolve to earn maximum points as Atherton threw the proverbial kitchen sink and when Nicky Fisher reduced the arrears on 70 minutes a shock home comeback looked a possibility. However it was Mossley who had the best chance when Darrell Dicken's looping header brought the best out of home keeper Shorrocks. For all Atherton's huff and puff they never created another chance and Mossley came way with maximum points and top place in the League.

Verdict: Difficult conditions - good points!

Team: Rob Hackney, Ally Pickering, Paul Barrow, Mark Paver, Paul Taylor, Ross Clegg, Paul Robertson, Steve Burns, Mike Turner, Bradley Wosahlo, Darrell Dicken. subs: Steve Mallinson(for Robertson), Ian Barker (for Turner), Mike Garside (for Burns).

booked: Burns, Barker, Garside


Two goals in each half were enough to see off the challenge of a youthful Nantwich Town at a bumpy Jackson Avenue this afternoon. Mossley were always comfortable against lowly opposition although after Wosahlo had headed over and Taylor fired wide they had a fortunate escape when Robertson's error allowed Danny Griggs a good chance but Hackney saved well. Thereafter it was all Mossley and the lead when it came in the 35th minute was fully deserved. Robertson's corner from the right was met with a bullet header from Steve Mallinson. Just before the break Mossley increased their lead with a quality goal. Burns' through ball down the right was centred by Mallinson and Bradley Wosahlo headed powerfully home. After the break the game degenerated somewhat as Mossley took their foot off the gas but Nantwich were unable to break down a strong Mossley defence. The third goal came with fifteen minutes remaining. Substitute Andy Gayle broke clear and was brought down in the box. Ross Clegg's penalty kick was well saved by Heeps but Gayle followed up to score at the second attempt. With five minutes to go the scoring was completed when Gayle's mazy run saw his shot come back off the post and Bradley Wosahlo was on hand to tap home.

Verdict: Easy win without reaching top gear!

Team: Rob Hackney, Ally Pickering, Paul Barrow, Mark Paver, Paul Taylor, Ross Clegg, Paul Robertson, Steve Burns, Mike Turner, Bradley Wosahlo, Steve Mallinson. subs: Darrell Dicken (for Mallinson), Andy Gayle (for Turner), Mike Garside (for Burns).

booked: Robertson, Barrow


As goalless draws go this was a cracker - the visitors dominating the first half while Mossley came back strongly in the second and were in the end unlucky not to take maximum points. Kidsgrove started the game full of invention and ideas and carved numerous openings with Rob Hackney starring for the Lilywhites with some superb saves to keep the impressive visitors at bay. Mossley for their part were unable to make many inroads against a big strong defence and a giant goalkeeper. Hackney was showing 'man of the match' form and on the one occasion he was beaten Paul Barrow appeared from nowhere to clear off the line. For all Kidsgrove's first half supremecy it was like watching a different game after the break as roles were almost completely reversed. Now it was Mossley's turn to turn the screw as the Lilywhites got their pass and move game going brilliantly. Wosahlo went close with a header, Burns was narrowly off target as was Garside, while Dicken and Robertson were probing and toying with the Kidsgrove defence. Mossley's best chances came though following the appearance of Mike Turner who started to cause havoc in the air. In a rare Kidsgrove foray Hackney was again called on to save well from a free kick. A great move involving Dicken and Robertson saw Turner fire a fierce volley inches wide and Kidsgrove keeper Statham was fortunate to hold onto a bullet header from the same player. Mention should also be made of referee Mr Matadar who had a fine game, always in control, always up with play and no bookings.

Verdict: No goals but great entertainment!

Team: Rob Hackney, Ally Pickering, Paul Barrow, Mark Paver, Paul Taylor, Mike Garside, Paul Robertson, Steve Burns, Darrell Dicken, Bradley Wosahlo, Steve Mallinson. Subs: Mike Turner (for Mallinson), Andy Gayle, Tony Gaffey.


This game ended in absolute mayhem when it was discovered that referee Mr P.Broadhurst of the Wirral was responsible for an absolutely howling error when he booked Clitheroe's Neil Spencer for the second time in the game just before he was substituted. This meant that Clitheroe should have played the last ten minutes of a knife-edge game with only ten men. Mossley are to appeal to the League against this and the possibility of a replay is real! The referee had put himself in the spotlight on several occasions prior to this with some unfathomable decisions. Firstly he awarded Clitheroe a 19th minute penalty without so much as a claim from the visitors as Paul Taylor headed away under challenge from Spencer and Neil Reynolds scored from the spot. Clitheroe were then awarded a series of free kicks that saw Mossley unable to get a foot-hold in the game as every tackle was penalised. Despite this Mossley tried to claw their way back and two great efforts from Steve Mallinson saw the Lilywhites unlucky not to equalise before Clitheroe doubled their advantage on 36 minutes. Cryer appeared to foul Paul Barrow as he headed into the path of Neil Spencer who hit an unstoppable half-volloy past Rob Hackney. After the break Mossley played with more purpose and deservedly reduced the arrears when Darrell Dicken's cross from deep on the right was headed home by Bradley Wosahlo. Mossley pressed forward constantly from then on but Clitheroe's time wasting tactics were slowing the game almost to a standstill culminating in the Spencer incident. The Clitheroe number 10 had earlier been booked for kicking the ball away and when he was set to be replaced he made an absolute meal of his fifty yard walk off the pitch even stopping to adjust a bootlace. The referee ran accross the field behind him and brandished Spencer's second yellow card but failed to produce red and Clitheroe made what was in effect an illegal substitution which led to a post match inquery. Apparently, the referee then made derisory comments to the Clitheroe officials whilst refusing to discuss the matter with Mossley secretary Dave Buckley. The game itself had ended in further controversy as Mossley had two strong penalty appeals waved away, one for hand ball and another for a blatent shirt pull on Wosahlo. Whatever the eventual outcome Mr Broadhurst I am sure has not heard the last of the matter.

Verdict: I've never seen anything like it!

Team: Rob Hackney, Tony Gaffey, Paul Barrow, Mark Paver, Paul Taylor, Steve Burns, Paul Robertson, Pedro Brennan, Darrell Dicken, Bradley Wosahlo, Steve Mallinson. subs. Mike Wolstenholme (for Gaffey), Andy Gayle, Russell Headley (for Dicken).

booked: Gaffey, Brennan, Taylor


Mossley showed their best form of the season so far in demolishing Curzon Ashton at National Park on Tuesday evening. It was a fine all round performance by Benny's boys with Darrell Dicken returning from suspension with a superb all action display that tore the home side to shreds. Mossley created all the best openings of an evenly contested first half with Pedro Brennan twice heading wide from good positions before a fine opening goal came in the 27th minute. Paul Barrow's inch perfect through ball saw Paul Robertson out-pace his marker on the left before firing into the corner of the net. Six minutes later Robertson doubled his and Mossley's tally when his floated free kick from the right eluded everybody and dropped in at the far post. Five minutes after the break Curzon had a chance to claw a way back into the game when Ross Clegg was penalised in the box but Jason Dormer's spot kick hit the bar. Mossley then went further in front as Bradley Wosahlo broke down the right and his precision pass was hammered home from ten yards by Ross Clegg. Curzon reduced the arrears when Craig Fluery finished off a neat move after Mossley had lost possession in their own half. The home side, spurred on by the goal, then began to exert some pressure but it was Mossley who were to strike again as Paul Robertson's through ball saw Darrell Dicken weave past his marker to score a super goal. The scoring was completed five minutes from time when Dicken again teased his marker before providing a low cross for Bradley Wosahlo to net from close range.

Verdict: Much, much better, and loadsa goals too!!

Team: Rob Hackney, Tony Gaffey, Paul Barrow, Mark Paver, Paul Taylor, Ross Clegg, Paul Robertson, Pedro Brennan, Darrell Dicken, Bradley Wosahlo, Steve Mallinson. Subs. Mike Wolstenholme, Andy Gayle, Steve Burns (for Mallinson).

booked: Mallinson, R.Clegg


Mossley were held to their fourth draw in six games in a poor match against Winsford United at Seel Park this afternoon. A drab first half in windy conditions saw few chances although Mike Wolstenholme should have done better when straight through but his attempted chip was easily saved. Paul Robertson and Bradley Wosahlo both had half chances while Winsford failed to threaten at all. After the break Mossley began to take cahrge and forced the pace of the game but the final ball into the box was often lacking as the game became stilted in midfield. Mossley finally broke the deadlock in the 74th minute when Robertson's cross from the left was met by a looping header from Steve Mallinson for his first goal of the campaign. The lead, although just about deserved, was very short lived as a minute later Winsford's first and only on target shot of the game saw David Mayes score from 15 yards after Mossley had failed to clear. Thereafter it was all Mossley but few chances were created and the game ended in stalemate.

Verdict: Instantly forgettable occasion!

Team: Rob Hackney, Tony Gaffey, Paul Barrow, Mark Paver, Paul Taylor, Ross Clegg, Paul Robertson, Steve Burns, Mike Wolstenholme, Bradley Wosahlo, Steve Mallinson. subs: Andy Gayle (for Wosahlo), Pedro Brennan (for Burns), Russell Headley.

booked: Robertson


Mossley threw away the chance of taking all three points against lowly Abbey Hey on Tuesday evening after missing a string of chances in a one sided first half. Mossley had taken a deserved seventh minute lead when debutant Paul Robertson’s cross from the left was met by a looping header from Pedro Brennan that gave Abbey keeper Andrew Cooper no chance. It seemed like the floodgates would open as Mossley moved the ball about well and Robertson hit a stinging 25 yarder off the bar on twenty minutes. However, the Lilywhites eventually relaxed their grip and as the second half progressed Abbey sensed their might be something in it for them. The equaliser duly came in the 70th minute. Former Mossley midfielder Dave Moss hit a speculative long range effort that bounced awkwardly in front of Rob Hackney forcing him to spill the ball and Abbey substitute Steve Moore was on hand to tap home. Mossley finally re-awoke and pressed hard against a packed defence throughout the closing stages. Sub Andy Gayle had a legitimate penalty appeal waved away by a referee who had been inconsistent throughout and the same player was foiled again when Abbey somehow cleared after a frantic goal-mouth scramble.

Verdict: Too many missed chances, again!

Team: Rob Hackney, Tony Gaffey, Paul Barrow, Mark Paver, Paul Taylor, Ross Clegg, Paul Robertson, Pedro Brennan, Mike Wolstenholme, Bradley Wosahlo, Steve Mallinson. Subs: Andy Gayle (for Wosahlo), Steve Burns (for Brennan), Drew Cain (for Taylor).


Injury and suspension hit Mossley were very unlucky to go out of the FA Cup to UniBond side Spennymoor United this afternoon. After a scrappy foul strewn opening Mossley finally settled and were denied a legitimate penalty when Mallinson's cross was blatently handled. However, it was the home side who were awarded a penalty when an inocuous challenge by Ross Clegg was penalised and Simon Kasonali squeezed the spot kick in the bottom corner. Mossley deservedly equalised a minute after the break. Mallinson's superb mazy run set up Bradley Wosahlo for his fourth goal in two games. Spennymoor restored their lead in the 57th minute when Keiron McGinley headed home at the second attempt following a corner. However, Mossley pulled level again six minutes later when Wolstenholme was pushed and Ross Clegg confidently rapped home the resultant penalty. Spennymoor were then reduced to ten men as Lee Adamson was dismissed for a second bookable offence after a cynical foul on Paul Barrow, who, was undeservedly booed every time he touched the ball thereafter. Mossley pushed forward but with only one recognised central defender and Steve Burns suffering from a knock Mossley were struggling a little at the back and were hit when caught in possession inside the Mossley half and a far post cross was headed home by Jarrod Suddick. The outstanding Steve Mallinson then went close on three occasions. His first effort hit the bar, then a long range drive flew narrowly wide and he then had another effort cleared off the line. It was while Mossley were pressing for a third equaliser that they were caught again on the break and Jamie Ellington broke on the left to score from the tightest of angles. Mossley were still creating chances though and Pedro Brennan ought to have scored with a mis-placed header.

Verdict: Unlucky! But it's the League that matters!

Team: Rob Hackney, Tony Gaffey, Paul Barrow, Mark Paver, Steve Burns, Ross Clegg, Russell Headley, Pedro Brennan, Mike Wolstenholme, Bradley Wosahlo, Steve Mallinson. Subs: Andy Gayle (for Burns), Bradley Clegg, Darren Ferns, Martin Campbell.

booked: R.Clegg


For some reason, Mossley always appear to lift their game when facing the Blues and Bradley Wosahlo got the Lilywhites got off to the perfect start with only four minutes gone when he lobbed the ball over Kris Richins in the Clitheroe goal. The match was hard fought by both sides and although the home side dominated most of the play they couldn't find a way past the solid defensive match-up of Drew Cain and Mark Paver. Mossley doubled their lead in the 25th minute when Bradley Wosahlo chased through onto Pedro Brennan's pass and scored his second of the match. Clitheroe pushed forward in the second half and began to cause Mossley real problems as they drove the visitors deeper and deeper into their own half. The Blues pressure was rewarded in the 55th minute when the highly impressive Richard Fogarty drove the ball past the unsighted Rob Hackney to make it 2-1. With the home side now back in the contest, Mossley were forced further onto the back foot and only some superb last ditch tackling would deny the Blues an equaliser. With some players beginning to tire, Benny brought on Steve Burns and Ian Barker and the Lilywhites regained some control in midfield but were dealt a severe blow when Barker was forced to limp off with what appeared to be a serious hamstring injury. Barker's replacement would be Congleton villain, Andy Gayle, but he turned provider with only a few minutes remaining for Bradley Wosahlo to complete his hat-trick and secure all three points for the boys in yellow. Although not at their best, Mossley can take heart from the fact that Clitheroe are clearly a classy team and few other sides will take all three points from Shawbridge this season. Report Courtesy of the Alternative Mossley Website

Verdict: Tricky game, three good points!

Team: Rob Hackney, Ally Pickering, Paul Barrow, Mark Paver, Drew Cain, Ross Clegg, Steve Mallinson, Pedro Brennan, Mike Wolstenholme, Bradley Wosahlo, Russell Headley. Subs: Steve Burns, Ian Barker, Andy Gayle.


Mossley were denied a fifth minute lead in this League encounter when Pedro Brennan's header was disallowed for a push. Darrell Dicken and Steve Mallinson fashioned the chance with some excellent approach work and the referee's decision seemed harsh. Dicken and Ross Clegg both went close as Mossley continued to force the issue but the game changed when the visitors tookn a 32nd minute. Jimmy Byrne rifled a free kick into the roof of the net from 18 yards. Congleton then doubled their lead seven minutes later when DArren Wasshington seized upon a poor clearance and despatched a fierce shot into the top corner. Towards the end of the half both Gayle and Mallinson missed reasonable chances. The second half began with both Dicken and Gayle putting headers wide of target. Mossley reduced the arrears in the 55th minute. The Congleton keeper handled outside the area and Darrell Dicken fired the resultant free kick into the top right hand corner and the Lilywhites were back in the game. The second half wasa frustrating time for Mike Wolstenholme as he was prevented from scoring in turn, by the crossbar, post and goalkeeper. Bradley Wasahlo was introduced as a 62nd minute substitution for Gayle. Russell Headley and Paul Barrow combined well down the left and fed Wosahlo in the box. The close attentions of his marker were spotted by the referee who duly awarded a 77th minute penalty. Ally Pickering smashed the ball home to restore parity. The game ended when Dicken shot wide when through on goal. Report courtesy of Stuart Davies

Verdict: Missed chances again cost victory!

Team: Rob Hackney, Ally Pickering, Paul Barrow, Mark Paver, Paul Taylor, Ross Clegg, Steve Mallinson, Pedro Brennan, Mike Wolstenholme, Andy Gayle, Darrell Dicken. subs: Steve Burns, Bradley Wosahlo (for Gayle), Russell Headley (for Mallinson).


Mossley made hard work of beating Maine Road at Seel Park tonight despite again once more completely dominating the game. The Lilywhites began the game at little more than a canter whilst Road hung back dogedly so as not to concede the early goal, but they could only hold out so long! Mossley took a deserved 22nd minute lead when a move involving Pickering, Gayle and Brennan ended with Mike Wolstenholme heading his second goal in two games from just outside the six yard box. The home side looked comfortable but were pegged back just before the interval when they lost possession on the left and 'Road player manager Chris Simms was able to curl a spectacular equaliser totally against the run of play. Upon resumption Mossley pushed forward again but the final ball was too often lacking and Wolstenholme and Gayle were mostly starved of opportunities. It had been a reasonably tame game up to the 69th minute when the assistant referee made a blatent blunder in awarding Mossley a goal kick despite a corner being obvious to all. Insensed at the injustice 'Road's Ian Walker's protestations led to red and the visistors were unluckily reduced to ten men. Mossley had little chance to capitalise before an ungly incident involving Maine Road's Glen Porter, obviously still angry over the Walker incident, and Mossley scorer Wolstenholme, saw both dismissed! There had hardly been a foul up to that point! Thereon Mossley had the upper hand with substitute Darrell Dicken making an impressive appearance. It seemed only a matter of time before Mossley would take the lead, but it was to be from an unlikely source. Dicken's 80th minute near post corner from the left was flicked home off the head of central defender Mark Paver. It was all Mossley now and the inevitable third goal came two minutes from time when good work by Dicken and Brennan set up substitute Bradley Wosahlo who superbly picked his spot from eighteen yards.

Verdict: Made hard work of it but deserved the points!

Team: Rob Hackney, Ally Pickering, Paul Barrow, Mark Paver, Paul Taylor, Ross Clegg, Russell Headley, Pedro Brennan, Mike Wolstenholme, Andy Gayle, Steve Mallinson. Subs: Steve Burns (not used), Bradley Wosahlo (for Gayle), Darrell Dicken (for Pickering).

sent off: Wolstenholme


Newcastle Town, amongst the favourites again this season, were made to look very ordinary by a motivated Mossley side this afternoon, with the yellow clad visitors very unlucky not to come away with maximum points. The game opened with a flurry and Mossley ought to have taken a third minute lead when Andy Gayle broke clear of a static back four only to be denied by the feet of keeper Simon Pay, who had an outstanding game. It was totally against the run of play when Newcastle forced a 13th minute lead. Pestridge's far post cross was headed home by Dean Gillick. Mossley pressed with Headley and Mallinson causing problems on the flanks. Clegg hit a rasper that Pay did well to hold before Mossley scoerd a deserved 31st minute equaliser. Steve Mallinson chased a lost cause down the right and crossed for Mike Wolstenholme to slot home from 10 yards. After the break it was almost totally one way traffic with the home side restricted to the occasional long range pot-shot. Wolstenholme headed wide when it loked easier to score, Mallinson and Gayle also went close and Pay made a fantastic save to deny Pedro Brennan's point blank effort. The last thirty minutes had seen Newcastle rarely step out of defence as they appeared to be totally happy to gain a point.

Verdict: Good start, need to convert chances!

Team: Rob Hackney, Ally Pickering, Paul Barrow, Mark Paver, Paul Taylor, Ross Clegg, Russell Headley, Pedro Brennan, Mike Wolstenholme, Andy Gayle, Steve Mallinson. subs: Steve Burns (for Brennan), Bradley Wosahlo (for Gayle), Darrell Dicken (for Mallinson).

booked: Clegg, Pickering