Wednesday 26th November 2014 @ Seel Park, Mossley
(0) 2
6-5 pens
(1) 2
Robinson (56), Fish (80)
Payne (18, 67)
Pens: Carroll, Fish, Robinson, Keogh, Pratt, McGonigle
Pens: Harrop, Palmer, Schofield, Payne, Oates
Mossleyweb Man of the Match: John Bennett

1. Andy Farrimond
2. Ryan Barrow
3. John Bennett
4. Matty Cross
5. Josh Granite
6. Kyle McGonigle
7. Arron Hevingham
8. Lewis Nuttall
9. Sam Robinson
10. Andy Keogh (c)
11. Brian Matthews
12. Mike Fish (for Cross 58)
14. Dougie Carroll (for Nuttall 75)
15. Matty Purcell (not used)
16. Danny McDonnell (not used)
17. Tom Pratt (for Matthews 36)

Yellow cards:

1. Tom Read
2. Kyle Harrop
3. Andy Smart
4. Callum Jones
5. Cliff Moyo
6. Chris Palmer
7. Shelton Payne (c)
8. Rory Fallon
9. Mike Oates
10. Tom Schofield
11. Simon Hackney
12. Will Ahern (for Fallon 24)
14. Rees Walsh (for Jones 65)
15. Luke Heron (for Smart 64)
16. Jordan Harper (not used)
17. Rob Black (not used)

Yellow cards:

Referee: Mr J. Wilson


Mossley edged through to the semi finals of the Manchester FA Premier Cup with a penalty shoot out victory over Cup holders Trafford at Seel Park on Wednesday night.

The old ‘game of two halves’ cliché was highly relevant on this occasion as Trafford bossed the first half and Mossley the second, but a confident and effective performance by the Lilywhites six penalty takers proved decisive before Andy Farrimond saved Trafford’s sixth spot kick to send the home side through.

Trafford played some attractive football in the first half, dominating possession and taking a one goal lead into the break. Chances were at a premium but Shelton Payne missed two great chances to open the scoring for the visitors before he finally did so on 18 minutes when the lightning quick winger saw his powerful 20 yard shot beat Farrimond at his near post.

Mossley struggled to make an impact in the opening 45 minutes and were grateful to Farrimond for keeping them in the tie as he turned away Simon Hackney’s well struck free kick shortly before the break.

It was a much different story in the second half as Mossley upped their game to take control of proceedings and Premier Division side began to look vulnerable for the first time in the match.

The Lilywhites first real spell of pressure brought the equaliser on 56 minutes. John Bennett’s deep free kick from the left was met with an excellent 15 yard volley by Sam Robinson that gave Trafford keeper Tom Read no chance.

Mike Fish entered the fray replacing Matty Cross and two minutes later he squandered a great chance to give Mossley the lead when he fired wide after being put in the clear.

It was very much against the run of play when Trafford retook the lead in the 67th minute. Trafford were fortunate to be awarded a free kick for an accidental handball 20 yards from goal and Shelton Payne stepped up to curl home a great set shot that left Farrimond rooted before nestling in the bottom right hand corner of the net.

Not to be denied Mossley pressed forward with Fish, Tom Pratt, Andy Keogh and Mossley’s third substitute Dougie Carroll prominent as the Lilywhites went in search of an equaliser. That moment arrived with ten minutes left on the clock as Mike Fish powered home a diving header from an exquisite Sam Robinson left wing deep cross.

Bennett almost won it for Mossley in the dying minutes but his thunderbolt 25 yard free kick was brilliantly tipped over by Read to deny Mossley the victory their second half showing deserved.

And so to penalties. Carroll, Fish, Robinson, Keogh and Pratt were all successful with the first five spot kicks, as were Harrop, Palmer, Schofield, Payne and Oates for Trafford before the shoot out went to sudden death. Kyle McGonigle fired Mossley 6-5 ahead before Farrimond dived to his right to turn away Simon Hackney’s effort and send Mossley through to the semi finals.


Smiffy's pics

Andy Farrimond saves Simon Hackney's penalty to send Mossley though to the semis