Division One North
Saturday 15th November 2014 @ Seel Park, Mossley
Brighouse Town
(0) 2
(2) 3
Matthews (47), Carroll (88 pen)
Boafo (27, 76), Hall (35)
Mossleyweb Man of the Match: Dean Warburton

1. Andrew Farrimond
2. Andy Brown
3. Danny McDonnell
4. Tom Dean
5. Josh Granite
6. Kyle McGonigle
7. Dean Warburton
8. Tom Pratt
9. Dominic Marie
10. Andy Keogh (c)
11. Brian Matthews
12. Lewis Nuttall (for Pratt 12)
14. Matty Cross (not used)
15. Charlie Anderson (not used)
16. Sam Robinson (for Marie 80)
17. Dougie Carroll (for McDonnell 78)

Yellow cards:
Nuttall, McDonnell, McGonigle

Brighouse Town
1. Jacob Giles
2. Ben Thornton
3. Leon Henry (c)
4. Tyrone Gay
5. Sam Hewitt
6. Adam Wilson
7. Martin Allison
8. Ryan Hall
9. Ernest Boafo
10. Tom Matthews
11. James Hurtley
12. Danny Hull (for Allison 74)
14. James Burke (not used)
15. Chris Fisher (for Gay 54)
16. Billy Law (for Boafo 80)
17. Daniel Naidole (not used)

Yellow cards:
Hurtley, Boafo, Henry

Referee: Mr B. Speedie


Another slipshod first half showing saw Mossley again two goals down at the interval and despite rallying well after the break and halving the arrears, a dreadful defensive mix up led to visitors Brighouse Town scoring an insurmountable third goal.

Mossley almost scored within thirty seconds after kick off when Halifax loanee Dominic Marie broke clear but his effort was easily saved by visitors keeper Jacob Giles.

Mossley lost Tom Pratt to injury after only 12 minutes when he was the subject of a terrible tackle by James Hurtley who was fortunate to receive only a yellow card. Latest signing Lewis Nuttall was a straight replacement for Pratt and the former Burnley and Wrexham youngster was soon showing his pace and skill.

The game was littered with some tasty tackles leading to a total of six yellow cards, three for each side including debutant Nuttall for a foul on ex Mossley star Leon Henry which led directly to the visitors opening the scoring on 27 minutes.

Another Mossley old boy, Martin Allison, took the free kick which was headed clear but the ball landed at the feet of Ernest Boafo who slammed home from ten yards.

Boafo and attacking partner Ryan Hall were causing Mossley plenty of problems withy their pace and movement and it was Hall who scored the visitors second goal on 35 minutes when he jinked in from the left and placed an angled shot that gave Farrimond no chance.
Mossley tried hard to get on the scoresheet but with Brighouse happy to soak up pressure and play on the break it was never going to be easy.

Mossley made a great start to the second half when Marie broke on the left wing and his cross was headed home from close range by Brian Matthews.

Mossley proceeded to dominate the game and the visitors defence was put under plenty of pressure. Warburton, Keogh, Marie and Nuttall all having efforts blocked by some desperate defending.

However, just when it seemed a Mossley equaliser was inevitable, a terrible defensive calamity helped to extend Brighouse’s lead. There seemed little danger as Tom Dean looked to pass the ball back to the advancing Farrimond but Boafo was lurking at Dean’s shoulder and when Farrimond attempted to boot clear the ball cannoned off the Brighouse striker and ricocheted agonizingly into the Mossley net on 76 minutes.

Mossley pushed forward again but looked a forlorn hope until the 88th minute when Andy Keogh was wrestled to the floor and the referee awarded the penalty. Substitute Dougie Carroll slotted home from the spot but time was running out.

Mossley piled men forward as the game entered six minutes of added time and the Lilywhites were denied an absolutely nailed on penalty when a Brighouse defender clearly slapped a Mossley cross away with his hand. Somehow, the referee and his assistant were just about the only people in the ground not to see the incident and no award was given.

It was all too little too late for Mossley who need to end this mini slump quickly if they are to mount a serious top five challenge in the new year.


Smiffy's pics

Brian Matthews heads Mossley opening goal