Preliminary Round
Saturday 30th August 2014 @ Victoria Park, Burscough
(1) 1
(0) 1
Caddick (39)
Bryant (62)
Mossleyweb Man of the Match: Charlie Anderson

1. Tim Horn
2. Liam Duff
3. Phil Quirk
4. Ryan Schofield
5. Nick Ryan
6. Eddie Toner (c)
7. Danny Dunleavy
8. Eddie Pegler
9. Danny Smith
10. John Connolly
11. Liam Caddick
12. Mark Beesley (not used)
14. Alex McPolin (for Connolly 85)
15. Chris Dykes (for Dunleavy 69)
16. Ian Turner (not used)
Yellow cards:

1. Ashley Frith
2. Ryan Barrow
3. Andy Brown
4. Kevin McGrath
5. Josh Granite
6. Charlie Anderson
7. Dean Warburton
8. Arron Hevingham
9. Andy Keogh (c)
10. Tom Pratt
11. Mitchell Bryant
12. Brian Matthews (for Hevingham 46)
14. Danny McDonnell (for Brown 82)
15. Tom Dean (not used)
16. Daryl Weston (for Bryant 86)
17. Christian Travaglini (not used)
18. Oliver Devenney (not used)
19. Kyle McGonigle (not used)

Yellow cards:
Anderson, Weston

Referee: Mr A. Bennett


A much improved second half performance saw Mossley earn a replay from Saturday’s tricky FA Cup tie at Evo-stik League rivals Burscough.

Mossley joint bosses Peter Band and Lloyd Morrison were able to name an unchanged starting line up for the first time this season, but, a lacklustre first half performance saw the Lilywhites trailing at the break to what was in honesty the softest of goals.

There was little to inspire for either side in a scrappy opening period that saw very few chances. Mossley failed to take advantage of the stiff breeze and instead allowed Burscough skipper and midfield general Eddie Toner to dictate the pace of the game.

The opening goal came on 39 minutes when Mossley failed to clear their lines following a brief spell of Burscough pressure and Liam Caddick’s weak mis-hit shot from ten yards somehow found it’s way past Mossley keeper Ash Frith and into the Mossley net.

Mossley finally and suddenly awoke to their task and were desperately unlucky not to equalise on the stroke of half time but home keeper Tim Horn made a stunning save to deny Tom Pratt’s goal-bound header.

The air was no doubt blue in the Mossley dressing room at the break and the Lilywhites came out for the second half with far more purpose and went on to dominate the remainder of the game.

A slight change in formation and a half time substitution seemed to do the trick for Mossley. The influential Toner and the lively Caddick. who had been a menace in the first half, became peripheral figures as the game progressed and it was Mossley who created all the chances.

Horn was kept on his toes throughout the half as Mossley attacked in waves. Charlie Anderson, Dean Warburton and Andy Keogh got a grip of midfield that they didn’t relinquish and this allowed the pacy Mossley forwards to create chances. Horn saved brilliantly to deny Keogh, while the lively Mitchell Bryant and Tom Pratt were both unlucky not to find a leveller well before the equaliser finally arrived on 62 minutes. Matthews’ deep cross from the right was headed back across goal by Pratt for Bryant to score from close range for his second goal in successive Mossley appearances.

Caddick was lucky not to see red after a horrible off the ball kick at Andy Brown that left the Mossley wing back writhing in agony but there looked to be only one winner thereafter.

Horn’s goal lived a charmed life but chances came and went and the home side hung on for a replay. For their part Mossley will be happy to have forced the tie back to Seel Park after such a poor first half performance.

Curzon Ashton still await the winners of the tie.