Division One North
Thursday 1st January 2015 @ Seel Park, Mossley
(0) 3
(1) 2
McGonigle (57), Robinson (69. 80)
Ormerod (41, 52)
Mossleyweb Man of the Match: Sam Robinson

1. Andrew Farrimond
2. Caldon Henson
3. John Bennett
4. Arron Hevingham
5. Tom Dean
6. Kyle McGonigle
7. Andy Keogh (c)
8. Matty Purcell
9. Brian Matthews
10. Sam Robinson
11. Tom Pratt
12. Dougie Carroll (for Purcell 64)
14. Matty Cross (for Robinson 84)
15. Danny McDonnell (not used)
16. Ryan Barrow (for Dean 46)
17. Eder Ruiz (not used)

Yellow cards:

1. Marcus Burgess
2. John Ross
3. Alex Grice
4. Ashley Young
5. Sam Holt
6. Nathan Gibson
7. Paul Walsh
8. Mark Sharples
9. Ben Allen
10. Brett Ormerod
11. Martin Parkes (c)
12. Tom Anderton (for Walsh 64)
14. Robbie Bromley (not used)
15. Scott Byrom (not used)
16. Bobby Langford (for Holt 84)
17. Sean David (not used)

Yellow cards:
Holt, Parkes

Referee: Mr T. Parsons


In terrible New Year’s Day weather conditions Mossley clawed their way back from a two goal deficit to beat struggling Padiham 3-2 at an extremely wet and windy Seel Park.

Mossley might have taken the lead within the first couple of minutes. Sam Robinson latched on to a through ball only to be brought down by ex Mossley trialist Sam Holt as he bore down on goal. Holt being fortunate not to receive a red card for the offence.

Despite playing into the teeth of a gale Mossley had decent control of the game and Padiham were thankful to keeper Marcus Burgess who made a fantastic save to deny Robinson’s volley.

At the other end the visitors first chance saw Ben Allen’s low ball across the box narrowly missed by former Blackpool star Brett Ormerod.

It was the Allen, Ormerod combination that finally gave the visitors a shock lead three minutes before the break. Allen capitalising on a defensive error to set up Ormerod for a simple tap in.

With the wind now at their backs Mossley were expected to lay siege to the Padiham goal after the break but instead it was Padiham who caught Mossley cold. Ormerod fired over an open goal inside three minutes of the restart and a couple of minutes later made amends by clipping the ball over the advancing Farrimond despite appearing to be in an off-side position.

Mossley were now forced into an early response. Kyle McGonigle hammered a 40 yard free kick that Burgess did well to save and two minutes later McGonigle went one better when he rifled home from ‘just’ 30 yards out to halve the arrears.

The Lilywhites pressed forward almost relentlessly from that point and equalised on 69 minutes when John Bennett’s slick through ball saw Robinson quickly latch on to fire home from ten yards.

After Burgess had made another couple of good saves to keep the Lilywhites out Padiham mounted a by now rare attack and when Allen went theatrically tumbling in the box the referee awarded Padiham a ‘soft’ penalty. Andy Farrimond was then the hero as he dived to his right to fall on Ormerod’s poorly struck spot kick.

It was a crucial miss and one which was to turn the game in Mossley’s favour.
In the 80th minute Brian Matthews broke down the left wing and crossed for Robinson to score with a fine header from eight yards to complete the turnaround.

Bottom of the table Padiham looked demoralised after this and Mossley comfortably kept possession before the Lilywhites were awarded a penalty of their own with five minutes remaining as substitute Dougie Carroll was brought down.

Carroll struck the resulting spot kick to the Burgess’s right but the visitors man of the match got it right and parried the ball to safety. It was hit man Carroll’s first ever spot kick miss.

Mossley comfortably played out the closing stages to collect the points to keep pace with the play off chasers.


Smiffy's pics