Division One North
Saturday 28th February 2015 @ Cantilever Park, Warrington
Warrington Town
(0) 0
(0) 1
Ahmadi (85)
Mossleyweb Man of the Match: John Bennett

Warrington Town

1. Karl Wills
2. Lewis Field
3. Tom Hardwick
4. David Mannix (c)
5. James McCarten
6. Craig Robinson
7. Ged Kinsella
8. Nathan Burke
9. Ben Wharton
10. Steven Tames
11. Scott Metcalfe
12. Louis Corrigan (not used)
13. Liam Turner (not used)
14. Chris Gahgan (not used)
15. Robbie Booth (for Tames 83)
16. Phil Bannister (not used)

Yellow cards:
Metcalfe (2), Mannix, Wharton
Red card:

1. Liam Flynn
2. Caldon Henson
3. John Bennett
4. Tom Dean
5. Josh Granite
6. Kyle McGonigle
7. Mike Fish
8. Ryan Barrow
9. Andy Keogh (c)
10. Tom Pratt
11. Rio Ahmadi
12. Danny McDonnell (not used)
13. Andy Farrimond (not used)
14. Daniel Mukuna (not used)
15. Sam Robinson (for Fish 33)
16. Charlie Anderson (not used)

Yellow cards:

Referee: Mr J. Madine


Mossley’s unbeaten run was stretched to an impressive eleven games with this well deserved and hard earned 1-0 victory at an in form Warrington Town on Saturday.

In a dour first half, broken constantly by fouls and breaks in play thanks in the main to some rather eccentric refereeing by Mr Madine, there were few chances for either side.

There were early yellow cards for Mossley’s John Bennett and Warrington’s Scott Metcalfe as the pair clashed in midfield.

Mossley lost Mike Fish with a thigh injury on 33 minutes with Sam Robinson a straight replacement.

The Lilywhites were in very determined mood though and looked the likeliest scorers. Tom Pratt glanced a header wide narrowly and Caldon Henson brought a diving save out of Wills in the best of the first half action. At the other end Warrington failed to trouble Liam Flynn’s goal with their closest effort coming from a Metcalfe header that flew wide.

The game opened up in the second half and it was Mossley who were looking the more creative of the two sides.

Sam Robinson was leading the home defence a merry dance and he brought a fine save from Wills. At the other end Warrington’s best chance of the game saw Liam Flynn tip Wharton’s header onto the bar for a fine point blank save.

Robinson brought another good save from Wills and Rio Ahmadi volleyed the rebound over the bar when he ought to have hit the target and Wills was again in action as he dived to save Kyle McGonigle’s free kick before the ball was scrambled away to safety.

A foul on John Bennett by Metcalfe brought the Warrington winger a second yellow card and the home side were reduced to ten men.

Warrington manager Shaun Reid reacted angrily to the dismissal and he was sent off from the dug out only to be joined by his assistant a few minutes later after the pair had harangued the match officials throughout the game.

Tom Pratt fired a powerful shot across goal from a tight angle that almost crept in at the far post.

Mossley scored the decisive goal five minutes from time when McGonigle slipped in a great pass for Rio Ahmadi who rifled into the roof of the net from six yards and Mossley were able to run out the remaining minutes without any threat from the home side, who had by that time lost any sense of composure, to deservedly take maximum points and leave Warrington with a mountain to climb in the play off race whilst moving the Lilywhites within two points of the magical 5th place.