Division One North
Saturday 26th September 2015 @ Ingfield, Ossett
Ossett Town
(1) 2
(2) 2
Armstrong (35), Curtis (51 pen)
Thomas (11), Dean (37)
Mossleyweb Man of the Match: Tom Dean

Ossett Town

1. Tom Morgan
2. Daz Lucas
3. Steven Jeff (c)
4. Nick Wood
5. Lee Connor
6. Dave Merris
7. Luke Gordon
8. Sam Akeroyd
9. Nathan Curtis
10. Chris Ovington
11. Ross Armstrong
12. Sanchez Payne (for Armstrong 64)
14. Ryan Mottley-Henry (for Ovington 84)
15. Reece Fernhill (not used)
16. Tom Smith (for Gordon 78)
17. Nathan Quinlan (not used)

Yellow cards:
Akeroyd, Morgan, Ovington

1. Liam Flynn
2. Caldon Henson
3. Lee Wilshaw
4. Michael Thomas
5. Tom Dean
6. Kyle McGonigle
7. Scott Kay
8. Andy Keogh (c)
9. Sam Robinson
10. Tom Pratt
11. Dave Short
12. Jack Bradley (not used)
14. Rory Breslin (for Thomas 46)
15. Luke Horrocks (not used)
16. Dougie Carroll (for Short 66)
17. Mike Fish (for Robinson 78)

Yellow cards:

Referee: Mr A. Hill



Mossley were left with a strong sense of frustration after being held to a 2-2 draw at Ossett Town on Saturday.

The Lilywhites, looking to turn around a peculiar losing streak were in dominant mood and the first half showing was reminiscent of some of the high energy performances of last season.

Mossley took control from the off, playing some great high tempo football, with the midfield trio of McGonigle, Kay and Keogh dominating proceedings.

Chances were created and the front three of Tom Pratt, Sam Robinson and Dave Short all came close to giving the Lilywhites the lead before Mossley deservedly edged in front on 11 minutes. Tom Pratt’s right wing corner was headed home through a crowd of players by centre back Michael Thomas.

More pressure and chances came and went but Mossley were hit with a sucker punch on 35 minutes.

A rare home raid saw Akeroyd’s shot blocked but the rebound fell kindly for Ross Armstrong who hit a sweet right foot volley from fully 30 yards that beat Liam Flynn at his left hand post.

Ossett weren’t level for long though, as just two minutes later Mossley won a throw in on the right and Caldon Henson’s launch was met by Tom Dean who looped a ten yard header beyond Ossett keeper Tom Morgan’s reach.

Mossley were forced into a half time change as Michael Thomas withdrew with a tight hamstring. Rory Breslin replaced him with Kyle McGonigle dropping into the back four.

Despite their dominance, going in at half time with a slender lead was soon regretted as Ossett drew level again just seven minutes after the restart.

Scott Kay was adjudged to have pushed an Ossett player in the box following a home set piece and Nathan Curtis crashed home from the spot.

The game then swung from end to end as Ossett sensed there might be a surprise win on the cards while Mossley strove manfully to create more openings.

Mossley won a penalty of their own on 70 minutes. Substitute Dougie Carroll was upended by Morgan as he attempted to round the Ossett keeper.

A red card for Morgan seemed the only possible decision but the referee awarded him only a yellow. Morgan then proceeded to tip Carroll’s spot kick onto the post and then Carroll and Keogh got in a tangle when trying to score the rebound and the chance was gone.

Ossett won a couple of late corners to no avail but it was Mossley who were left with more disappointment when Caldon Henson burst through to score in the last minute only to be denied by an off-side flag. Frustratingly, Henson was clearly well onside when the ball was played to him.


Mark Gledhill's photos

Michael Thomas heads the opening goal