Tuesday 3rd October 2017 @ Seel Park, Mossley
Ashton United
(0) 1
Mossley won 3-2 on penalty kicks
(1) 1
Ahmadi (67)
Roberts (18)
Mossleyweb Man of the Match: Mo Ali

1. Oliver Martin
2. Caldon Henson
3. Keenan Quansah
4. Mo Ali
5. Tom Dean (c)
6. Cedric Krou
7. Sam Howell
8. Adam Latham
9. Danny McLaughlin
10. Marko Basic
11. Rio Ahmadi
12. James-McLean Oppong (for Krou 27)
14. Elliot Harrison (not used)
15. Jack Tuohy (not used)
16. Liam Ellis (for McLaughlin 70)
17. Mason Duffy (for Basic 70)
Yellow card: Latham
Red card: Henson

Ashton United
1. Josh Ollerenshaw
2. Jack Slinn
3. Dominic Smalley
4. Josh Granite
5. Simon Woodford
6. Nicky Platt
7. Mark Lees (c)
8. Liam Tomsett
9. John Roberts
10. Oscar Durnin
11. Matthew Chadwick
12. Lanre Olapade (not used)
14. Alex Johnson (for Smalley 35)
15. Jody Banim (for Granite 77)
16. Max Povey (for Ollerenshaw 62)

Yellow card: Slinn

Referee: Mr A. Gray


Mossley made dramatic progress in the Manchester Premier Cup at Seel Park on Tuesday as beat Ashton United 3-2 on penalties following a 1-1 draw. This despite the Lilywhites playing for 85 minutes with ten men following Caldon Henson’s early red card.

Despite their numerical disadvantage the Lilywhites put in a great shift and at no point were the ten men overawed by their higher division opponents.

The unfortunate Henson received his marching orders just five minutes in when he brought down Liam Tomsett just outside the box as he bore down goal.

It was Mossley who looked the more threatening as Rio Ahmadi fired just wide and home debutant Cedric Krou fired over the bar when Ashton keeper Josh Ollerenshaw flapped at a cross.

However it was the visitors who took the lead on 18 minutes when John Roberts finished off a left wing move slotting home from 15 yards.

Mossley then lost Cedric Krou with an injury and he was replaced by another home debutant James-McLean Oppong who was soon in action as his mazy run and 25 yard pile-driver was tipped to safety by Ollerenshaw.

Just before the break Ashton almost snatched a second goal as Martin saved Tomsett’s shot and Alex Johnson hammered the rebound over the bar.

Mossley upped the pressure in the second half and chances came for Adam Latham and Marko Basic, the latter seeing his 25 yard curler skim past the post.

The deserved equaliser finally arrived on 67 minutes. Sam Howell’s deep free kick from the left was headed home from eight yards by Rio Ahmadi.

More Mossley pressure followed but a winning goal wouldn’t come and Ashton almost snatched it at the death when player-manager Jody Banim’s chipped effort just cleared the Mossley bar.

And so to penalties. The new penalty system emplyed and Ashton scored the first kick through Matt Chadwick. Tom Dean scored for Mossley but Mason Duffy saw his penalty saved. Oscar Durnin then netted for Ashton before Mark Lees fired his spot kick wide. Adam Latham and Liam Ellis were then on target for Mossley before Oliver Martin became the hero as he saved from Johnson and Banim to see Mossley through to the next round.