Division One North
Monday 9th April 2018 @ Dual Seal Stadium, Brighouse
Brighouse Town
(0) 1
(0) 0
Hurtley (82)
Mossleyweb Man of the Match: Logan Jeffs

Brighouse Town
1. Chandler Hallwood
2. Adam Field (c)
3. Callum Hall
4. Alfred Hammond
5. James Hurtley
6. Oran Thompson
7. Oliver Crowley
8. Thomas Haigh
9. Aaron Martin
10. Gabriel Johnson
11. Isaac Marriott
12. Mohammed Ibrahim (for Martin 75)
14. Daniel Naidole (not used)
15. Adam Jones (for Hammond 76)
16. Lewis Riley (for Thompson 46)
17. Connor Griffin (not used)
Red card:
Yellow card:
Haigh, Riley

1. Oliver Martin
2. Logan Jeffs
3. Dieter Downey
4. Keenan Quansah
5. Tom Dean (c)
6. Declan Evans
7. Adam Latham
8. Andy Keogh
9. Liam Ellis
10. Mason Duffy
11. Mike Fish
12. Elliot Harrison (not used)
14. Tyrell Palmer (for Latham 59)
15. James Blair (for Downey 86)
16. Danny McLaughlin (for Ellis 65)
17. Jack Tuohy (not used)
Yellow card: -

Referee: Mr J. Bickerdike


Mossley were victims of their own making at a rain soaked Brighouse Town on Monday night as the Lilywhites slipped to a 1-0 defeat despite creating a host of chances.

That they didn’t bring home the spoils was down to some fine goalkeeping by home number one Chandler Hallwood, a tendency to make poor attacking decisions, particularly in the second half, and a tragic error by recalled Mossley keeper Oliver Martin eight minutes from time.

The Mossley team showed two other changes from Saturday’s selection. Liam Ellis and Adam Latham were recalled to the starting eleven with Tyrell Palmer and the injured Jack Tuohy dropping to the bench.

Brighouse opened the game in lively fashion but found a solid Mossley defensive shield impenetrable.

As the game settled into a high tempo rhythm, Mossley began to get on top. Mason Duffy tested Hallwood with a 20 yard screamer that the home keeper did well to parry away.

Duffy and Latham were causing the home defence plenty of problems and when a through ball saw Latham race clear he was upended from behind by Callum Hall inches outside the box. Hall was shown an immediate red card but Mossley failed to capitalise as Mike Fish’s free kick flew over the bar.

Mossley attempted to make their numerical advantage count and Duffy and Dieter Downey were again denied by fine Hallwood saves as Mossley ended the half in total dominance.
Having played some great flowing football in the opening half, Mossley then played the second period as if in a race against time to score a goal but it was that same hurried approach that proved their undoing as attacks constantly broke down in the final third.

Latham picked up a knock and was replaced by Palmer with Duffy switching wings and soon after Danny McLaughlin replaced Liam Ellis.

The best chance of the half came with ten minutes left on the clock as McLaughlin’s powerful close range drive was somehow brilliantly saved by Hallwood.

Two minutes later came the shock winner. A rare Brighouse raid won a corner. Marriott’s in-swinging flag kick looked an easy catch for the previously under-employed Martin, but instead, a poor punch went straight to the feet of centre back James Hurtley who volleyed the ball into the net from ten yards.

Mossley failed to trouble the home goal again as Brighouse used every trick in the book to run the clock down on what was a disappointing first defeat for the new Mossley management team.