Tuesday 7th November 2017 @ Seel Park, Mossley
(0) 1
Droylsden won 5-3 on penalty kicks
(1) 1
McLaughlin (88)
Hall (15)
Mossleyweb Man of the Match: Keenan Quansah

1. Oliver Martin
2. Caldon Henson
3. Dieter Downey
4. Mo Ali
5. Tom Dean (c)
6. Cedric Krou
7. Keenan Quansah
8. Mike Fish
9. Mason Duffy
10. Jack Tuohy
11. Rio Ahmadi
12. James-McLean Oppong (not used)
14. Danny McLaughlin (for Ahmadi 67)
15. Marko Basic (for Henson 77)
16. Sam Howell (not used)
17. Adam Latham (for Duffy 77)
Yellow card:-

1. James Coates (c)
2. Shaun Holden
3. Ben Barber
4. Dylan Smith
5. John Shaw
6. Danny Ventre
7. Callum Bagshaw
8. Gerard Kinsella
9. Ruben Jerome
10. Dominic Smith
11. Steve Hall
12. Joe Nield (for Bagshaw 85)
14. Ciaran Kilheeney (not used)
15. Luke Daly (for Kinsella 67)
16. Jamie Frost (for Smith 77)
17. Liam Caddick (not used)
Yellow card: Frost

Referee: Mr M. Reeves


Mossley were very unlucky to go out of the Manchester Premier Cup at Seel Park on Tuesday as they finally succumbed to Droylsden in a penalty shoot out following a 1-1 draw.

Droylsden enjoyed the majority of possession in the first half playing some high quality pass and move football, but the Lilywhites stuck to their task, working hard, chasing and closing down the opposition at every opportunity.

When in possession it was Mossley who created the better openings. Mason Duffy brought a good save out of Droylsden keeper James Coates with the Lilywhites first effort.

Rio Ahmadi hit a shot across the face of Coates’ goal but his effort went narrowly past the far post in the 13th minute but two minutes later the visitors went in front. Steve Hall heading home from close range from Ben Barber’s cross.

Droylsden were enjoying plenty of ball but threatened Mossley’s goal only occasionally, their best chance to double the lead saw Dominic Smith race clear but he ballooned his shot over the bar.

As the half drew to a close Caldon Henson saw his effort cleared off the line by Kinsella to keep Droylsden ahead at the break.

Mossley came more into the game in the second half forcing Droylsden ever deeper into their own territory but Droylsden had a chance when Hall’s miss-hit effort came back off the foot of a post and was cleared to safety.

It was all Mossley by now though. Ahmadi was denied by a good save by Coates and Keenan Quansah was denied by a list ditch block.

As the game entered it’s final quarter substitute Danny McLaughlin couldn’t quite get a clean header on Dieter Downey’s cross, Marko Basic and Jack Tuohy were also denied as the Droylsden goal led a charmed life.

The fully deserved equaliser finally arrived two minutes from time. Substitute Adam Latham burst into the box, Jack Tuohy’s effort was blocked and Danny McLaughlin blasted the rebound into the bottom corner to ecstatic scenes in the Park End stand.

Mossley actually came close to a late winner as Dean and McLaughlin were both denied by last ditch challenges with Droylsden clinging on desperately, and so to penalties.

Droylsden’s Danny Ventre was first up to score, Tom Dean levelled, Ben Barber put Droylsden 2-1 up but the fateful penalty was next as Coates saved Mo Ali’s spot kick with a trailing leg. Joe Nield made it 3-1, Adam Latham 3-2, Steve Hall 4-2, Danny McLaughlin 4-3 before Luke Daly just about fired home the decisive kick to break Mossley hearts and send Droylsden into the semi finals by 5-3 on penalties.


Smiffy's pics > >