Preliminary Round
Saturday 19th August 2017 @ Surrey Street, Glossop
Glossop North End
(0) 0
(1) 2
Harrison (31), Dean (63)
Mossleyweb Man of the Match: Keenan Quansah

Glossop North End

1. Paul Phillips
2. Matt Russell
3. Matty Ruseell
4. Jay Gorton (c)
5. Jason Hill
6. Courtney Meppen-Walter
7. Jude Oyibo
8. Lee Rick
9. Dale Johnson
10. Ben Deegan
11. Billy Hasler-Cregg
12. Chris Baguley (not used)

14. Mark Haslam (not used)
Connor Martin (for Hasler-Gregg 65 )
16. Liam Turner (for Rick 78)
17. Kane Hickman (not used)
18. Matt Williams (not used)
19. Steve Halford (for Meppen-Walter 89)
Red card: Phillips
Yellow cards:

Matt Russell, Matty Russell, Meppen-Walter,
Deegan, Martin

1. Oliver Martin
2. Caldon Henson
3. Sam Gibson
4. Mo Ali
5. Tom Dean (c)
6. Keenan Quansah
7. Elliot Harrison
8. Jamie McLellan
9. Liam Ellis
10. Jack Tuohy
11. Danny McLaughlin
12. Ismail Suleiman (for Henson 64)
14. Dan Johnson (for Gibson 79)
15. Mike Taylor (not used)
16. Sam Howell (not used)
17. Adam Latham (for McLaughlin 68)
18. Mason Duffy (not used)
19. Aaron Dwyer (not used)

Yellow cards:
Henson, Ali

Referee: Mr M. Tinsley


A goal in each half saw Mossley finally cruise through to the next round of the FA Cup with a convincing win at highly rated neighbours Glossop North End in Saturday's Preliminary Round tie at Surrey Street.

With the wind at their backs the Lilywhites were in control from the off winning a flurry of early corners, one of which saw Jack Tuohy's effort headed off the line.

Mossley controlled possession and were causing plenty of consternation in the Glossop defence with Tuohy, Liam Ellis and Danny McLaughlin a constant threat.

Almost half an hour had been played before Glossop fashioned a half chance but Dale Johnson fired wide when well placed.

The Lilywhites rarely loosened their grip on the tie after taking a deserved 31st minute lead. Mossley won yet another corner. Jack Tuohy's curled left wing place kick was met at the far post by Elliott Harrison to head home from a narrow angle.

Soon after Liam Ellis had the ball in the Glossop net but was flagged for a narrow off-side while the half ended with Jay Gorton heading wide for Glossop.

Playing into the wind after the break Mossley might have expected to be pegged back in similar fashion to Glossop in the first half but that didn't really materialize. Apart from the mazy runs of lively winger Jude Oyibo the home side offered little in the way of attacking flair.

Glossop thought they had equalised ten minutes into the half but scorer Ben Deegan was penalized for a foul on Mossley keeper Oliver Martin.

The game's main talking point came just after the hour mark. Danny McLaughlin forged past left back Matty Russell who upended him for a clear penalty. Skipper Tom Dean took responsibility. Glossop keeper and joint manager Paul Phillips dived to his left to save but Dean followed up to net the rebound.

As the Mossley players celebrated the goal angst ridden Phillips threw the ball at their heads and was promptly shown a red card for his foolishness leaving the Hillmen down to ten men and no keeper on the bench. Big striker Ben Deegan took over between the sticks.

There was little further action of note but Glossop did finally manage their first on target effort with around five minutes remaining when Courtney Mappen-Walter tried a wind assisted shot from half way that Oliver Martin gathered easily and the tie was won.


Match Photos > >