Division One North
Tuesday 26th September 2017 @ Infield, Ossett
Ossett Town

(0) 1

(0) 0
South (90 pen)
Mossleyweb Man of the Match: Oliver Martin

Ossett Town

1. Leigh Overton
2. Josh Snowden
3. Alex Low
4. Corey Gregory
5. Alex Peterson (c)
6. Isaac Assenso
7. Sam Wright
8. Steve Ridley
9. Danny South
10. Kai Hancock
11. Ashley Jackson

12. Matthew Templeton
14. Ryan Ferguson
15. Jordan Deacey (for Ridley 40)
16. Seon Ripley
17. Daniel Gibbons
Yellow cards: Ridley

1. Oliver Martin
2. James Oppong
3. Keenan Quansah
4. Mo Ali
5. Tom Dean
6. Cedric Krou
7. Elliot Harrison
8. Adam Latham
9. Liam Ellis
10. Jack Tuohy
11. Mason Duffy

12. Michael Taylor (for Duffy 59)
14. Sam Howell (not used)
15. Danny McLaughlin (for Latham 74)
16. Marko Basic (for Tuohy 67)
17. Ismael Suleiman (not used)

Yellow cards:
Harrison, Ellis, Taylor, Dean

Referee: Mr L. Freeman

On paper this was a mid table battle between two teams evenly matched and with similar records. In reality it was just that and most of the game was fought out in midfield between two combative sets of players.

The first half was devoid of any real chances and was a gruelling affair with neither side having the guile to unlock the others defence.

The only incident of note was the sending off of Manager Peter Band. A stray pass was making its way towards him in the dugout and he deflected it with his hand over the barrier. The referee came over and ordered Peter to follow it over the barrier in a massive overreaction to an incident that amounted to nothing.

The second half was much livelier but eventually the home side got on top and put increasing pressure on the Mossley goal. Oliver Martin made three excellent saves to keep the scores level. One was from a close range header and was the save of the season.

The Mossley defence marshalled by Dean were all having great games then suddenly as it appeared that Mossley were to get a point it was snatched away. Two minutes to go and a high stray foot in a crowded penalty area caught an Ossett forward in the chest. The ref had no hesitation and there was little protest. Even then keeper Martin nearly kept Danny South's ensuing penalty out moving the right way but being beaten by the pace on the ball.

It was too late for Mossley to get up a head of steam to come back. In the end the home side had edged it and their second half performance had probably deserved it. Still it seemed rough on a Mossley side that had battled for the whole game and yet trooped off with nothing.

Not a great game but it emphasized that there is little between the sides in this league in terms of ability and games are won and lost on the finest of margins.

Ray Moreland