Division One North
Saturday 14th April 2018 @ Volair Park, Prescot
Prescot Cables
(0) 2
(2) 2
Cain (88), Almond (90)
Duffy (13), Fish (24)
Mossleyweb Man of the Match: Keenan Quansah

Prescot Cables
1. Ben Barnes
2. Joe Herbert
3. James Edgar
4. James McCulloch (c)
5. Louis Coyne
6. Reece Fishwick
7. Jordan Southworth
8. Jordan Wynne
9. Chris Almond
10. Lloyd Dean
11. Harry Cain
12. Baba Conte ()
14. Junior Dos Santos ()
15. Valter Fernandes ()
16. Morgan Homson-Smith ()
17. Josh Klein-Davis ()
Yellow card:

1. Liam Flynn
2. James Blair
3. Dieter Downey
4. Keenan Quansah
5. Tom Dean (c)
6. Declan Evans
7. Liam Ellis
8. Elliot Harrison
9. Mike Fish
10. Danny McLaughlin
11. Mason Duffy
12. Jack Tuohy (not used)
14. Andy Keogh (for McLaughlin 60)
15. Tyrell Palmer (for Fish 69)
16. Adam Latham (not used)
Yellow cards: Blair, Quansah

Referee: Mr I. Walsh



The rare sight of blue sky and warm sunshine greeted the players at Hope Street as Mossley took on Prescot Cables.

The game began in ominous fashion as the home side's first attack within the first minute resulted in a ball whipped in from the right wing and just eluding the on rushing forward.

After that the flow of the game changed as Mossley settled down, got possession and kept possession in neat triangles and began to totally dominate the game.

On 13 minutes Mossley did what they have failed to do so many times this season and scored when they were on top.Fish skilfully controlled before passing to Ellis who was revelling in a deeper role and he curved a delicious ball round the back of the home defence for the ever willing Duffy to run on to and expertly finish.

Mossley were now in charge of the game and totally dominant. Things got even better on 25 minutes when great work from McLaughlin on the right wing resulted in a great cross that Fish tapped in at the far post.

The home side were in disarray and Mossley went off at half-time having played the best half of football seen from a Mossley team for an awfully long time.

Prescot had to get better and the second half began with them setting siege to the Mossley goal. Time and again they were thwarted by a resolute Mossley defence and when they did get sight of goal found Liam Flynn in fine form.

Four hard games in eight days were beginning to take their toll. Keogh replaced McLaughlin and Palmer came on for Fish as Mossley tried to stem the tide.

Just when we thought enough had been done to secure the points everything changed. On 87 minutes a ball down the Mossley left should have been put in the stand and wasn't. The cross came in and Harry Cain (No,not that one) was first to the ball to deprive Flynn of his clean sheet.

The home side roared on by their raucous fans were revived but even then on 89 minutes Mossley could have clinched it. Keogh broke through from halfway and went one on one with the advancing home keeper. Keogh chose to lob him and the chip cleared the keeper but agonisingly also the crossbar.

In added time came the sucker punch. A free kick on the edge of the Mossley box was given for an inocuos coming together of players. The kick resulted in a scramble in the area and experienced home striker Chris Almond buried the equaliser.

Victory had been snatched from Mossley s grasp and the disappointed players wearily tripped off. However, this performance must properly be set in context. Prescot Cables will finish in a play off place in the league, yet for 85 minutes Mossley outplayed and outfought them. Man for man Mossley were superior in every department. The new management team and the players must take great encouragement from this performance coming as it did at the end of a hard week.

The hardest job for the writer was to choose the man of the match as there were at least half a dozen outstanding candidates. It had to be Keenan Quansah for yet another imperious performance in midfield.

Ray Moreland