Division One North
Tuesday 20th March 2018 @ Seel Park, Mossley
Scarborough Athletic
(0) 1
(2) 3
Dean (89 pen)
Valentine (15), Walshaw (38, 63)
Mossleyweb Man of the Match: Andy Keogh

1. Max Povey
2. Declan Evans
3. Dieter Downey
4. Keenan Quansah
5. Tom Dean (c)
6. Danny Hall
7. Mason Duffy
8. Andy Keogh
9. Tom Fisher
10. Jack Tuohy
11. Mike Fish
12. Logan Jeffs (not used)
14. Elliot Harrison (for Downey 73)
15. Adam Latham (for Fisher 73)
16. Liam Ellis (for Fish 46)
Yellow cards:
Povey, Downey, Duffy, Tuohy

Scarborough Athletic
1. Tom Taylor
2. Josh Snowden
3. Dave Merris
4. Nathan Valentine
5. Sam Hewitt
6. Bailey Gooda
7. James Cadman
8. Luke Dean
9. James Walshaw
10. Michael Coulson
11. Max Wright
14. Jamie Price (for Cadman 73)
15. Lewis Sugden (for Dean 89)
16. James Beadle (not used)
17. Sam Muggleton (not used)
Yellow cards: Walshaw

Referee: Mr M. Ashworth


Mossley were hoping to bounce back after last weeks defeat to promotion contenders Clitheroe as they welcomed Scarborough Athletic to Seel Park.

Mossley saw 4 changes, new boy Max Povey taking his place in the squad after Jony Diba-Musangu injured his ankle in the last game.

Tom Dean, returning from suspension took the captaincy plus Mason Duffy made it back into the first eleven while Tom Fisher was given a first start after several appearances off the bench.

The first half was mainly dominated by Scarborough attacks, high and quick balls over the midfield to their wingers, it paid off for them as Nathan Valentine received the ball for a simple tap in past Povey but Mossley’s fight didn’t end there.

Twenty minutes in and Tom Fisher took the ball towards the Park End but sent it wide for Mossley’s first attempt of the game.

At the other end Povey received a yellow card for tossing the ball away from the Scarborough forward as they won a throw in.

Mason Duffy’s throw in found Jack Tuohy in the 6 yard box and on the turn he struck with power but fell to the hands of Scarborough’s Tom Taylor.

As we got closer to half time Scarborough won a corner in-front of the School End, once again a high and powerful ball fell to James Walshaw who headed it in from 8 yards out to send the visitors in a flattering 2-0 up at the break.

Mossley fought hard in the first half so much so that Mike Fish had to be substituted at half time due to a heavy tackle that left him slightly concussed.

With the second half underway, Mossley came out with every intention of getting a goal back, with throw ins and corners plentiful, taking every opportunity they could.

Fifty five minutes saw James Cadman with a low shot on goal but safely fell to Povey’s hands.

A few minutes later with plenty of Scarborough bodies in the Mossley 18 yard box, its safely cleared but only to Walshaw who struck the ball and saw the Seasiders 3-0 up.

After a few minutes of the ball being played back and forth, the Lily Whites made their attack and as Andy Keogh was brought down the referee pointed to the penalty spot.

Tom Dean stepped up in the 88th minutes to help the team retain some pride and confidently did as he struck the ball straight into the back of the net, 3-1 to the visitors.

One half of managerial duo Peter Band post match said “I think we can take many positives out of it, kept going to the last minute, got a goal back could have got another”

He continued “We go again with Ossett on Saturday who have been picking up recently then on to Colne, just need to dust ourselves down and if we put effort in like we did tonight we can give anyone a game”

Francesca Doran