Preliminary Round
Tuesday 4th September 2018 @ Seel Park, Mossley
Ossett United
(0) 1
Mossley won 4-2 on penalty kicks
(0) 1
Harrison (78)
Chippendale (53)
Mossleyweb Man of the Match: Jonny Diba Musangu

1. Jonny Diba Musangu
2. Ben Richardson
3. Dieter Downey
4. Elliot Harrison
5. Adam Jones
6. Declan Evans
7. Godwin Abadaki
8. Andy Keogh (c)
9. Max Leonard
10. Ben Halfacre
11. Mason Duffy
12. Matty Kay (for 4 - 120)
14. Izzy Miranda (unused)
15. Mike Fish (unused)
16. Danny McLaughlin (for 10 -73)
17. Adam Latham (for 11 -115)
18. Liam Ellis (for 7 - 25)

Red card : Jones (102)
Yellow card:
Leonard, Halfacre

Ossett United
1. Brett Souter
2. Joe Wilkinson
3. George Grayson
4. Alex McQuade (c)
5. Jamie Knowles
6. James Burke
7. Adam Priestley
8. Jason Yates
9. Tom Corner
10. Lebrun Mbeka
11. Josh Grant
12. Edward Church (unused)
14. Danny Youel (unused)
15. Aidan Chippendale (for 5 - 50)
16. Nicky Boshell (for 11 - 116)
Corey Gregory (for 7 - 84)
18. Ross Hardakre (for 3 - 76)
19. Leigh Overton (unused)

Yellow cards:Souter, Wilkinson,
Burke, Yates, Grant, Chippendale

Referee: Mr J-P Kenny


Ninety minutes just wasn't enough for Mossley, neither was a further thirty, so penalties decided the fate of Lilywhites FA Cup run and to quote The Four Season ‘Oh what a night’.

Mossley faced Ossett United in a replay at Seel Park and the Lilywhites made two changes from the team who played at Ingfield on the 25th August, Max Leonard and Ben Halfacre in for Liam Ellis and Mike Fish.

Superb blocks from Adam Jones and Ben Richardson stopped Ossett from capitalising in the opening minutes, moments after Max Leonard shot down the left flank to effortlessly set up Godwin Abadaki who just needed to tap it in but a miss timed shot saw it fall to Ossett keeper Brett Souter.

Harrison stood over the first of many free kicks for Mossley who found Halfacre who tipped it just over the bar.

One free kick after another saw plenty of chances for Abadaki and Leonard on goal but still no luck.

After multiple poor challenges by Ossett, a foul on Abadaki from James Burke saw him take a yellow card but just 3 minutes later another dangerous foul and this time Abadaki was stretchered off to be replaced by Liam Ellis.

The opening minutes of the second half kept swinging from one half to the other and it was Ossett’s Aidan Chippendale who capitalised for the visitors on 53 minutes to open the scoring firing a superb angled drive beyond the reach of Jonny Diba Musangu.

Mossley were keen to respond with them having the better chances, Halfacre gained another free kick as Ossett’s keeper was booked for a foul outside the box, plenty of scrambling around the box to find the equaliser but still no luck.

As the clock ticked down Ossett made another break but Diba Musangu confidently flew out of his goal to make another fine save, keeping the Lilywhites in the game.

Ben Halfacre had the ball in the net for Mossley only to be denied by a questionable off-side decision and Halfacre made way for Danny McLaughlin soon after.

Moments later Mossley moved down the pitch, the ball crossed in only to find the head of another Ossett player, it seemed it just wasn't going to happen.

With 12 minutes left on the clock Ben Richardson's deep cross from the right was headed clear but fell 20 yards from goal, up stepped 'player of the month' Elliot Harrison to strike hard and low to find the back of the net making it 1-1.

Two vital saves from Diba Musangu in the dying seconds sent the game into extra time.

As the final fifteen minutes before penalties loomed Mossley had another free kick, although this time it didn't end with a goal, a supposed foul in the Ossett penalty area on James Burke saw Adam Jones sent off with 12 minutes to go.

Down to 10 men Mossley made two changes as Mason Duffy and Elliot Harrison came off for Adam Latham and Matty Kay.

So it was to be penalty kicks to decide the winner. Max Leonard was the first to step up and confidently scored followed but Ossett’s Nicky Boshell stepped up for their 1st and scored.

Matty Kay was next and scored with Ossett keeper Souter stood transfixed but it was goalkeeper Diba Musangu who made the first real difference as he saved Aidan Chippendale’s shot making it 2-1.

Diba Musangu said after the game “I’m excited and I love facing penalties. I just want to get in the player’s head, psyche them out and make them go a certain way.”

Lilywhites Adam Latham and Ossetts Jason Yates both stepped up and scored their goals.

As captain Andy Keogh stepped up to take his penalty he knew he needed to score and hope that Ossett miss to go through, he cooly placed the ball in the back of the net and celebrated with the fans to make it 4-2.

Corey Gregory stepped up to try and claw back the score but his shot flew over the bar and jubilation rang around Seel Park as Mossley went through.

Joint manager Dave Wild said, “That’s one of those nights that defines a club like Mossley. The supporters helped us to win that game. The players and staff can’t thank them enough - the place was absolutely bouncing.”

Francesca Doran

Martyn Nolan's pics > >