Division One West
Saturday 2nd March 2019 @ Seel Park, Mossley
Prescot Cables
(0) 2
(0) 1
Jones (62), Fitzgerald (90+2)
Hamilton (71)
Mossleyweb Man of the Match: Adam Jones
1. Josh Ollerenshaw
2. Steve Mason
2. Dieter Downey
4. Gary Gee
5. Adam Jones
6. Declan Evans
7. Max Leonard
8. Andy Keogh (c)
9. Mike Fish
10. Ben Halfacre
11. Godwin Abadaki
12. Logan Jeffs (unused)
14. Kyle McGonigle (unused)
15. Raul Correia (for 9 - 75)
16. Kieran Nolan (for 3 - 60)
17. Dylan Fitzgerald (for 10 - 81)
Yellow cards: none
Prescot Cables
1. Ollie Taylor
2. Valter Fernandes
3. James Edgar
4. James McCulloch (c)
5. Louis Coyne
6. Baba Conteh
7. Jordan Southworth
8. Reece Fishwick
9. Josh Klein-Davies
10. Jordan Wynne
11. Lloyd Dean
12. James Cooper (unused)
14. Josef Faux (for 7 -65)
15. Luke Griffiths (for 8 -65)
16. Matthew Hamilton (for 9 -70)
17. Reece McNally (unused)

Yellow card: Coyne
Referee: Mr J. Hall

17 years old Mossley AFC Academy student Dylan Fitzgerald became a Lilywhites hero on Saturday when his late cameo debut appearance from the bench turned to ecstasy two minutes into stoppage time as he netted the winning goal against fellow promotion chasers Prescot Cables.

The Lilywhites starting line up showed two changes from the Runcorn draw with Gary Gee replacing Kieran Nolan in midfield and Steve Mason coming in for the suspended Ben Richardson.

Visitors Prescot started the brighter and Josh Ollerenshaw had to be alert to turn away Reece Fishwick’s powerful header as early as the second minute.

The game quickly became compressed in midfield as both sides defended with a high line resulting in plenty of off-side decisions.

Mossley’s first real chance came just after the half hour as Ben Halfacre volleyed narrowly wide from a good position and Mike Fish was also off target moments later.

Best opportunity of the first half saw Adam Jones goal-bound header cleared off the line as the half finished goalless.

Prescot had the first chance of the second period when Jordan Southworth saw his effort hit the post and Klein-Davies’ effort from the rebound was blocked close to the Mossley line.

Halfacre and Jones both had headed chances from Mossley set pieces but Cables keeper Ollie Taylor was alert to the danger.

Mossley took the lead on 62 minutes. Gary Gee’s left wing corner was headed against the near post by Halfacre and Adam Jones was in the right place to volley home the rebound from eight yards.

However, nine minutes later Cables were level. Lloyd Dean saw his shot blocked by Ollerenshaw but the rebound fell kindly to substitute Matthew Hamilton, who had been on the pitch for no more than a minute, to net the rebound from close range.

Mossley responded by replacing Fish with Raul Correia and a few minutes later teenager Fitzgerald replaced Halfacre.

The duo gave a new dimension to Mossley’s attacks. The pair linked up well and Fitzgerald was hauled back by McCulloch’s shirt tug in his first action.

With the game entering it’s final minute Gee’s cross found Fitzgerald and his volley was superbly saved by Taylor and that looked it be it for the afternoon.

However, with second left on the clock, Max Leonard whipped in a superb cross from the right and there at the far post to meet it was that boy Dylan Fitzgerald who’s downward volleyed effort bounced beyond Taylor’s despairing dive to send players and fans alike into delirious celebration and a vital Mossley victory was confirmed by the final whistle a couple of minutes later.


Martyn Nolan's pics > >