Saturday 28th July 2018 @ Seel Park, Mossley
Stalybridge Celtic
(1) 1
(3) 3
Richardson (39)
Bakkor (28 pen), Wilkinson (40), Wolfenden (45)
Mossleyweb Man of the Match

1. Tony Aghayere
2. Logan Jeffs
3. Dieter Downey
4. Ben Richardson
5. Adam Jones
6. Declan Evans
7. Danny McLaughlin
8. Elliot Harrison
9. Mike Fish
10. Andy Keogh (c)
11. Mason Duffy
12. Danny Byrnes (for 3 - 65)
13. Marcus Burgess (for 1 - 46)
14. Izzy Miranda (for 7 - 56)
15. Ben Halfacre (for 10 - 60)
16. Godwin Abadaki (for 5 - 43)
17. Liam Ellis (for 9 - 65)

Stalybridge Celtic
1. Jake Turner
2. Callum Spooner
3. Stephen Rigby
4. Jack Taylor
5. Liam Tongue
6. Billy Akrigg
7. Luke Wall
8. Ross Dent
9. Scott Bakkor
10. Greg Wilkinson
11. Matt Wolfenden
12. Lee Knight
13. Aiden Wolfenden
14. Niall Flint
15. John Marsden
16. Elliot Cooke
17. Scott Harries
18. James Power



A mixture of defensive errors and strange refereeing decisions proved the difference in Saturday's local Seel Park 'derby' against Stalybridge Celtic.

Mossley, playing into a strong wind in the first half were pegged back for lengthy spells, as Stalybridge, intent on a high press, made the early running.

When Mossley did break forward, play was often interrupted by fouls in midfield with Elliot Harrison a regular victim of shirt pulling as tried to burst forward.

The opening goal came on 28 minutes as Logan Jeffs went shoulder to shoulder with Scott Bakkor and when the Celtic player fell easily to the floor the referee pointed to the spot and the visitors striker picked himself up to score from the penalty spot.

Mossley were briefly level, when in the 39th minute Mike Fish was upended by keeper Jake Turner. The big Celtic keeper thought he had redeemed himself by saving Fish's spot kick but Ben Richardson reacted quickest to hammer home the rebound.

Within a minute Celtic had regained the lead. Declan Evans was clearly fouled from behind by Bakkor as he brought the ball out of defence but the referee allowed play to continue and Greg Wilkinson took advantage to restore the visitors lead.

A minute before the break and Stalybridge went 3-1 ahead. Mossley carelessly lost possession in midfield and a quick fire move saw Matt Wolfenden net from close range.

The second half saw Mossley on top but keeper Turner became the star of the show as he made vital saves to deny Fish and substitute Ben Halfacre and the score-line remained unchanged to the finish.


Martyn Nolan's pics > >