Tuesday 8th October 2019 @ Seel Park, Mossley
Abbey Hey
(1) 1
Mossley won 4-2 on penalty kicks
(1) 1
Halfacre (21)
Hincks (11)
pens: Morgan, Lenighan, Richardson, Gee
pens: Nield, Egan
Mossleyweb Man of the Match: Andy Keogh

1. Theo Roberts
2. Ben Richardson
3. Steve Mason
4. Simon Lenighan
5. Andy Keogh (c)
6. Declan Evans
7. Jes Uchegbulam
8. Paul Marshall
9. Ryan Brooke
10. Ben Halfacre
11. Eliot Goldthorp
12. Chiekh Thiam (unused)
14. Dieter Downey (unused)
15. Adam Morgan (for 10 - 75)
16. Gary Gee (for 8 - 41)
17. Nicky Platt (for 11 - 90)
Yellow card:

Abbey Hey
1. Ross Heywood
2. Joseph Nield
3. Dylan Norris
4. Leighton Egan
5. Edon Pruti
6. Joshua Dickin
7. Jake Dunford
8. Luke Hincks (c)
9. Dillon Hickman
10. Aaron Fleming
11. Darryl Grant
12. Faustin Makela (for 7 - 86)
14. Elliot Fenton (for 9 - 86)
15. Oliver Holt (unused)
16. Dane Smith (for 1 - 64)
17. Christopher Woods (unused)
Yellow cards: none

Referee: Mr B. Lamb


Mossley finally came through this very tricky 'banana skin' Manchester FA Premier Cup tie thanks to a 4-2 penalty shoot out success over a hard working and determined Abbey Hey side following a 1-1 draw at Seel Park on Tuesday night.

Following the collapse at Marine in the previous outing the Mossley line up showed changes. Chester loanee Keeper Theo Robert came in for his debut while Bradford City loanee Eliot Goldthorp was given his first start. Jes Uchegbulam, Steve Mason and Paul Marshall were all recalled to the starting line up.

Mossley started on the front foot and won a couple of early corners but were rocked on eleven minutes when Abbey took the lead with their first attack of the night. Leighton Egan’s floated free kick wasn’t dealt with properly and Abbey skipper Luke Hincks was on hand to turn the ball home to give the visitors a shock lead.

A Mossley spell of pressure followed as the Lilywhites tried to redress the balance with Goldthorp and Uchegbulam prominent on the flanks. It was Uchegbulam’s run and cross on the right that set up Ben Halfacre to slot home the equaliser from close range on 21 minutes.

Mossley were hampered as half time approached when Paul Marshall went down with no-one around him and the unfortunate Lilywhites midfielder was stretchered off with a serious looking knee injury. Gary Gee was his replacement.

The second half was largely a non event. Abbey Hey looked the more dangerous as
Mossley failed to create anything of note in the second half and were forced to do plenty of defending as the tireless Abbey midfield pushed their team forward but Mossley defended resolutely and the game went to penalties.

Andy Keogh was first up for Mossley but his effort was saved by sub keeper Dane Smith. Dylan Norris then struck the post with Abbey’s first spot kick.

Adam Morgan’s cheeky lob put Mossley ahead before Theo Roberts responded with a great save to deny Edon Pruti.

Simon Lenighan’s slotted home his spot kick to make it 2-0. Joseph Nield made it 2-1, Ben Richardson made it 3-1 and Leighton Egan responded 3-2 before Gary Gee scored the decisive penalty to end the shoot out at 4-2 in the Lilywhites favour. Mossley will now travel to Droylsden in the next round on 12th November.


Martyn Nolan pics > >