Saturday 19th October 2019 @ Vesty Road, Bootle
City of Liverpool
(0) 1
(0) 0
Denson (51)
Mossleyweb Man of the Match: Declan Evans

Theo Roberts
2. Ben Richardson
3. Dieter Downey
4. Kieran Nolan
5. Steve Mason
6. Declan Evans
7. Jes Uchegbulam
8. Andy Keogh (c)
9. Ryan Brooke
10. Gary Gee
11. Eliot Goldthorp
12. Godwin Abadaki (unused)
13. Josh ollerenshaw (unused)
14. Nicky Platt (for 8 - 85)
15. Ben Halfacre (for 10 - 70)
16. Astley Mulholland (unused)
Yellow cards: none

City of Liverpool
1. James Aspinall
2. Luke Denson
3. Paul Williams
4. Kevin McEllin
5. Anthony Brown
6. Ian Kearney
7. Jason Jeffries
8. Gerard Kinsella
9. Elliott Nevitt
10. Jack Hazlehurst
11. Jamie McDonald
12. Liam Dawson (for 8 - 89)
14. Francis Foy (for 6 - 19)
15. Karl Clair (for 3 - 32)
16. Bobby McDonnell (unused)
17. Alex Murphy (unused)
Yellow cards: Nevitt, Hazlehurst

Referee: Mr L. Griffiths


Mossley missed a number of great chances as they somehow went down to a 1-0 hardly deserved single goal defeat against City of Liverpool at Bootle on Saturday.

Mossley were without the suspended Si Lenighan but Andy keogh returned to the starting line up after completing his one game ban in the only change from the side that won at Cleethorpes last week.

It proved to be a hugely frustrating day for the Lilywhites with chances galore going begging, a perfectly good goal disallowed and the winning goal controversially awarded.

Mossley had the first opportunity but Eliot Goldthorp's free kick was acrobatically cleared and a high tempo opening saw Theo Roberts called into action early on as a 'sweeper keeper' as he twice raced off his line to head clear outside the box.

Ryan Brooke had Mossley first sighter of goal but his effort was blocked. Mossley had the best chance so far though soon after but centre back Steve Mason's header flew wide with the goal gaping. Bizarrely, soon after Mason had another fantastic opportunity with a set piece header but again the ball flew wide of the right hand post.

Jes Uchegbulam was causing the home defence plenty of problems and his superb mazy run set up Andy keogh but his goal bound effort was blocked.

Just before the break a cleverly worked short corner saw Richardson and Brooke combine with the ball ending up in the City of Liverpool net. However, despite their being both keeper and defender on the goal line the linesman's flag was raised and the goal chalked off.

Mossley opened the second half brightly and Uchegbulam was unlucky to see his clever shot hit the bar with the keeper well beaten but it was the home side who took the lead in the 50th minute when keeper Theo Roberts was clearly impeded by an off-side looking forward as a long ball forward by Luke Denson somehow found the Mossley net. The goal awarded despite Mossley protests.

Home keeper Aspinall made a great save to keep out Goldthorp's free kick as Mossley pressed again. Uchegbulam shot narrowly wide and substitute Ben Halfacre appeared to be fouled in the box as he shaped to shoot but nothing given.

The unfortunate Mason missed two more gilt edged chances when he twice fired over the bar from great positions following Ben Richardson long throws.

Goldthorp, Richardson and Halfacre were all denied in the closing stages as Mossley threw the proverbial kitchen sink but the ball wouldn't find the net for what would have been a deserved equaliser and City of Liverpool clung on to take the points.