Saturday 11th January 2020 @ Seel Park
(0) 2
(1) 1
Lees (70), Uchegbulam (82)
Stanley (45)
Mossleyweb Man of the Match: Mark Lees

1. Theo Roberts
2. Steve Mason
3. Dieter Downey
4. Mark Lees
5. Keil O'Brien
6. Declan Evans
7. Ryan Brooke
8. Kieran Nolan
9. Dylan Fitzgerald
10. Andy Keogh (c)
11. Kayde Coppin
12. Gary Gee (for 10 - 79)
14. Ben Richardson (unused)
15. Ben Halfacre (for 9 - 68)
16. Jes Uchegbulam (for 8 - 52)
17. Jack Grundy (unused)
Yellow cards: Brooke, Lees, Mason

1. Chris Thompson
2. Daniel Gray
3.Jacob Gregory
4. Craig Stanley
5. Markell Foulds
6. Charlie Russell
7. Mitchell George
8. Terry Cummings
9. Oliver Wood
10. Owen Watkinson
11. Connor Gaul
12. Jake Connelly (for 9 - 75)
14. Oliver Muir ((for 3 - 84)
15. Oscar O'Neil (for 7 - 62)
Yellow cards: none

Referee: Mr A. Bennett


Mossley recovered from conceding on the stroke of half time to beat old rivals Clitheroe with two superb goals on what was a wet and windy Saturday afternoon at Seel Park.

The Lilywhites line up showed a couple of changes from the Runcorn game with loan signing Keil O’Brien replacing fellow loanee Jack Grundy in central defence, Steve Mason replacing Ben Richardson at right back and Kieran Nolan selected in midfield. Dylan Fitzgerald led the line as Jamie Rainford missed out through injury.

Mossley had first advantage of the strong wind but neither side were able to create many chances as defences were generally dominant. Fitzgerald came closest to breaking the deadlock for the Lilywhites but he had an effort blocked after great work by Andy Keogh and later saw his dipping 20 yard shot skim the top of the bar.

Clitheroe had caused very little trouble apart from a decent wasted chance in the opening minutes, but the visitors took the lead on the stroke of half time when Craig Stanley powered home a header from Connor Gaul’s pinpoint corner kick.

Mossley returned for the second half with a steely determination, despite now playing into the teeth of an increasingly strong wind and driving rain, began to dominate.

Jes Uchegbulam replaced Nolan early in the half which gave the Clitheroe defence a new set of problems and his pace and skill began to torment his marker Jacob Gregory.

Fitzgerald saw his great control then shot well saved by Thompson and the recently signed ex Droylsden keeper was in action again to deny a great effort from Keogh.

The fully deserved equaliser finally arrived on 70 minutes. Uchegbulam’s tricked and teased his way down the right wing, his overhit cross was recycled by Kayde Coppin who rolled the back into the path of the outstanding Mark Lees who joyfully thumped the ball home through a crowded box for his first goal for the club.

Clitheroe huffed and puffed but were wasteful in possession and when an attempted raid broke down with six minutes remaining it was a swift counter attack that brought the winner. Coppin, with his second assist of the afternoon, played a delightful through ball for Jes Uchegbulam to easily outpace the chasing defenders from half way before scoring with a sublime chip from the edge of the box over the advancing keeper as he dived in vain to block.

Mossley comfortably survived a late and increasingly desperate Clitheroe rally in the five minutes overtime to deservedly take the points thanks to a determined and dominant display by the resurgent Lilywhites.


Martyn Nolan pics > >