Tuesday 24th September 2019 @ Seel Park
Pontefract Collieries
(2) 3
(0) 1
Morgan (9), Mason (20), Halfacre (86)
Lumsden (55)
Mossleyweb Man of the Match: Steve Mason

Josh Ollerenshaw
2. Ben Richardson
3. Dieter Downey
4. Nicky Platt
5. Steve Mason
6. Declan Evans
7. Adam Morgan
8. Gary Gee
9. Ryan Brooke (c)
10. Ben Halfacre
11. Jes Uchegbulam
12. Chiekh Thiam (for 2 - 90)
14. James Baillie (for 7 - 78)
15. Dylan Fitzgerald (for 10 - 90)
16. Simon Lenighan (unused)
17. Godwin Abadaki (unused)
Yellow cards: Morgan, Brooke

Pontefract Collieries
1. Seb Malkowski
2. Jack Greenhough
3. Connor Smythe
4. Fabian Bailey
5. John Cyrus
6. Jake Picton (c)
7. Gavin Rothery
8. Cody Cromack
9. Joe Lumsden
10. Vaughan Redford
11. Michael Dunn
12. Spenser Clarke (unused)
14. Luke Jeffs (unused)
15. Jamie Williams (for 7 - 46)
16. Jameel Ible (for 5 - 64)
17. Layton Sawine (unused)
Yellow cards:
Smythe, Lumsden, Dunn

Referee: Mr Z. Mustafa


Mossley returned to winning ways with a hard earned victory over a physical and direct Pontefract Collieries at a wet Seel Park on Tuesday night.

The line up showed several changes from Saturday due to injury and unavailability which saw starts for Steve Mason, Nicky Platt, Gary Gee, Ryan Brooke and Ben Halfacre.

Pontefract started brightly and had an early chance as John Cyrus headed over the bar. However, it was Mossley who took the early lead on nine minutes.

Adam Morgan played a long cross field ball from left to right finding Jes Uchegbulam who turned his marker inside out before feeding Nicky Platt. Platt’s low ball across the box was then turned home by the onrushing Adam Morgan for a superbly crafted goal.

The goal quickly settled any Mossley nerves and though Pontefract worked hard to create something and were a real threat from set pieces it was the Lilywhites went on to double the advantage on 20 minutes. Ryan Brooke and Adam Morgan worked a short corner on the right and Morgan raced past a defender before crossing for Steve Mason to score with a header from ten yards giving Polish International keeper Seb Malkowski no chance.

Mossley almost grabbed a third but Ben Halfacre’s effort went narrowly past the post. At the other end Ollerenshaw and his defenders were kept busy by a flurry of Pontefract corners but the best the visitors could muster was a Connor Smythe free kick just before the break that Ollerenshaw saved easily.

Jes Uchegbulam fired wide and Ryan Brooke had a strong penalty shout waved away as Mossley opened the second half brightly. At the other end Ollerenshaw made a great save to deny Redford but Pontefract were literally ‘handed’ a lifeline on 55 minutes. Ollerenshaw failed to hold a greasy ball and Joe Lumsden knocked the ball in with an arm. The goal was awarded despite vociferous Mossley protests.

Halfacre twice went close for the Lilywhites, firstly heading over the bar then seeing a 20 yard shot well saved by Malkowski. It was Pontefract doing most of the pressing though as Mossley struggled to find an out ball to relieve the pressure but Mossley defending was excellent and the Yorkshire side struggled to find any real openings.

James Baillie replaced Morgan and went close with his first involvement as his chipped effort beat Malkowski but landed onto the roof of the net.
The win was finally sealed with ten minutes remaining. Great work by Ryan Brooke opened up the space for Ben Halfacre to settle himself and pick his spot before calmly placing the ball beyond Malkowski’s reach before enjoying a celebration that was a mixture of joy and relief as the victory was now secured.

A couple of late substitutions saw Chiekh Thiam and Dylan Fitzgerald given brief cameos as Mossley played down the clock to collect a valuable three points and put the Tadcaster defeat well and truly to rest.


Martyn Nolan's pics > >