Preliminary Round
Saturday 24th August 2019 @ Seel Park
(0) 2
(2) 2
Hodkinson (70), Klein-Davies (78)
Evans (6), Halfacre (39)
Mossleyweb Man of the Match: Declan Evans

Dylan Forth
2. Ben Richartdson
3. Lewis Hatch
4. Nicky Platt
5. Adam Jones (c)
6. Declan Evans
7. Max Leonard
8. Simon Lenighan
9. Adam Morgan
16. Ben Halfacre
11. Paul Marshall
12. Chiekh Thiam (unused)
13. Joel Fletcher (unused)
14. Ryan Brooke (unused)
15. Mike Fish (for 10 - 75)
16. Godwin Abadaki (for 11 - 73)
Yellow cards: Morgan, Halfacre

1. Owen Wheeler
2. Danny Ventre
3. Shaun Holden
4. Sam Sheen
5. Joe Herbert
6. Keenan Quansah
7. Conor Ready
8. Fisnik Hadjari
9. Lewis Buckley
10. Ben Hodkinson
11. James Steele
12. Michael Grogan
14. George Wbster
15. Chris Lomax
16. Michael Burke
17. Josh Klein-Davies
Yellow cards: none

Referee: Alex Beckett


Mossley will host Widnes in a replay at Seel Park on Tuesday 3rd September following Saturday's 2-2 Emirates FA Cup draw.

Beautiful summer sunshine greeted the kick off at the Halton Stadium and for once Mossley started the game at pace.

Their swift passing and intricate triangles had the Widnes side chasing shadows. It came as no surprise when on 6 minutes Adam Morgan’s cross from the right found Ben Halfacre at the far post and ended up at Declan Evans feet for a simple tap in.

The rest of the half proceeded along the same lines with Mossley in complete control and the lead was doubled on 37 minutes when great work on the left by debutant Lewis Hatch found Ben Halfacre who turned defenders in the box before coolly firing home. It was an excellent strike by the big forward worthy of a game at a far higher level .

The second half proceeded in similar vein with Mossley controlling the game but signs of carelessness were beginning to show through with a succession of needless free kicks being conceded.

On the 70th minute the complexion of the game completely changed. The home side’s best player of the day Ben Hodkinson turned 35 yards out and with little seemingly on, smashed an unstoppable shot into the top corner. Like a see saw the game had altered and a seemingly walk in the park became a full blooded cup tie.

The equaliser came on the 78th minute in an unfortunate way. Mossley attacked down the left deep in Widnes territory. The cross was charged down seemingly by the arm of the home side defender. The referee deemed it not deliberate handball and it broke Widnes’ way. Seconds later the ball was in the Mossley area and with the defence outnumbered Josh Klein-Davies tapped home.

Mossley looked like a marathon runner who had just passed the 26 mile post having led all the way who then realised there was someone on his shoulder. The last few minutes were frenetic and the home side pressed on for the most unlikely of victories.

There were a couple of penalty shouts for Widnes both rightly rejected but the final whistle came as a relief to the Mossley fans.

Report by Ray Moreland

Martyn Nolan's pics > >