Preliminary Round
Saturday 12th September 2020 @ Seel Park
St Helens Town
(2) 3
(0) 0
Shenton (11, 53), Richardson (23)
Mossleyweb Man of the Match: Ben Richardson

1. Liam Lovell
2. Ben Richardson (c)
3. Sam Kilner
4. Kane Hickman
5. Jack Grundy
6. Declan Evans
7. Keaton Mulvey
8. Ethan Kershaw
9. Harry Pratt
10. Ryan Shenton
11. Matty Waller
12. Charley Leech (for 3-77)
13. Jordan Hadlow (unused)
14. Andy Keogh (unused)
15. Dylan Stringer-Moth (unused)
16. Jes Uchegbulam (for 7-70)
17. Dylan Fitzgerald (unused)
18. Danny McLaughlin (for 9 -62)
Yellow card: Shenton

St Helens Town
1. Nathan Wolland
2. Jesse Robinson
3. Paul Cliff
4. Colyfar Kamara
5. Jack Taylor
6. Andrew Webster
7. Christy Devlin
8. Hal McHugh
9. Ashley Stott
10. Colin Quirk
11. Yarolslav Maksymyk
12. Stephen Brown
13. Zac Kechil
14. Josh Odukomaya
15. Layton Clough
16. David McGrath
17. Jamie Appleby
18. Joel Douglas
Yellow card: Kamara

Referee: Mr P. Roots

Read the
Matchday Programme pdf




Mossley were simply too good for North West Counties Leaguers St Helens Town in Saturday's Emirates FA Cup tie as the Lilywhites ran out comfortable 3-0 victors.

The win could have been far more convincing as Mossley missed several chances including a penalty in a mostly one sided encounter.

Mossley created the first opportunities. Matty Waller was inches away from scoring from Shenton's clever pass and when Pratt closed down the St Helens keeper, the visitor's stopper's sliced clearance fell to Waller but his attempted lob flew narrowly off target.

It was no real surprise when Mossley took an 11th minute lead. Mulvey took on the St helens defence down the left wing and cut inside before setting up Ryan Shenton who bundled the ball home from close range.

Shenton was again involved when his pass put Mulvey through on goal but Saints keeper Wolland did well to smother at the Rochdale loanee's feet.

Mossley wouldn't be denied for long though and the lead was doubled. Ben Richardson's free kick was deflected for a right wing corner and Mulvey's fine flag kick was powerfully headed home by skipper for the day Richardson on 23 minutes.

The second half was only three minutes old when Mossley were awarded a penalty for handball but cheers turned to disappointment as Wolland dived to his right to comfortably keep out Pratt's under hit spot kick.

The inevitable third goal wasn't far away though as in the 53rd minute centre back Declan Evans went on a mazy run before feeding Mulvey, who's perfect low cross was turned home by Ryan Shenton for his second and Mossley's third of a game that was now well out of reach of the visitors.

St Helens came close to a consolation when McHugh's free kick came back off the bar and Lovell did well to save from the rebound shot.

McLaughlin replaced Pratt just after the hour mark and St Helens were to be further tormented as Uchegbulam replaced Mulvey on 70 minutes with Waller switched to his favoured left wing berth.

Uchegbulam's twisting high speed runs caused the usual amount of havoc while Waller, despite making some great opportunities couldn't make it count as he had several efforts either saved or struck wide. Mossley won't mind though as they comfortably strolled through to the next round with prize money in the bank to boot.

Martyn Nolan pics > >