Tuesday 17th August 2021 @ Sovereign Play Stadium, Colne Att: 299
(0) 0
(0) 1
Brown (90)
Mossleyweb Man of the Match: Declan Evans


1. Dale Latham
2. Paul Riley
3. Devon Matthews
4. Kane Hickman
5. Declan Evans
6. Jordan Butterworth
7. Jack Grundy
8. Andy Keogh (c)
9. Antony Brown
10. Mason Fawns
11. Kain Dean
12. Ben Lowe (for 10-90)
13. Jordan Hadlow (unused)
14. Harry Pratt (for 9-90)
15. Connor Morris (for
16. Kyle Hawley (unused)
Yellow cards:

Brown, Fawns

1. Hakan Burton
2. Lee Pugh
3. Tyler Hornby-Forbes
4. Tom Brown
5. Aaron Turner
6. Ryan Taylor
7. Anthony Williams
8. Oliver Roberts
9. Billy Hasler-Cregg
10. Reece Webb-Foster
11. Harry Winstanley
12. Alex Dodd (for 4-64)
14. Harry Canon-Noren (for 5-86)
15. Paul Dugdale (unused)
16. Enoch Tapke (for 3-46)
Yellow card:

Referee: Jake Topp





Mossley had to dig deep to pull off this remarkable result from their visit to Colne's peculiar Sovereign Play Stadium pitch on Tuesday night with Antony Brown poaching the Lilywhites deserved 90th minute winner.

It was a terrific, gritty and gutsy performance by David Fish's boys against a lively home side who hit a brick wall when trying to break down Mossley's seemingly impenetrable defence martialled superbly by Declan Evans, Paul Riley, Devon Matthews and debutant keeper Dale Latham.

Playing down the infamous Colne slope, the home side had the first chance of the evening but Latham was equal to it as he dived to his left to deny Roberts' powerful 20 yard effort.

Mason Fawns and Antony Brown were causing Colne plenty of problems but the game was constantly broken up by a series of 'soft' free kicks awarded by a referee who didn't seem to think that tackling was part of football.

An evenly contested first half ended goalless but it was Mossley who were to gain the upper hand in the second half. Again Fawns and Brown were prominent for the Lilywhites but it was Jordan Butterworth who was the first to have a shot on target in the second period but Burton was able to save comfortably.

Connor Morris replaced skipper Andy Keogh on 63 minutes and Mossley went on to win a spate of corners but were unable to find a finishing touch.

When Colne attacked Latham made a superb save to deny Webb-Foster's curling effort. However, Mossley wouldn't be denied and with 90 minutes up. Antony Brown burst into the Colne box and despite being fouled, for what surely would have been a penalty, somehow stretched out a leg to turn the ball past Burton.

Brown immediately left the action to be replaced by Harry Pratt and Fawns was then replaced by youngster Ben Lowe, though Fawns was booked for taking too long to leave the field.

It wasn't the end of the drama though as Colne won a couple of set pieces that put pressure on the Mossley defence but again Latham was in the way and the home side were denied any reward for their efforts as Mossley made it six points from two games in a great start to the new season.