Saturday 11th December 2021 @ Seel Park Att: 426
(0) 0
(1) 2
Morgan (45, 90)
Mossleyweb Man of the Match: Freddie Sass

Matchday Programme pdf

Jordan Hadlow
2. Ben Richardson
3. Freddie Sass
4. Jordan Butterworth
5. Jack Grundy
6. Devon Matthews
7. Bailey Marsden
8. Andy Keogh (c)
9. Harry Pratt
10. Mason Fawns
11. Jack Banister
12. Sam Kilner (unused)
14. Kain Dean (unused)
15. Levi Phillips (for 3 - 87)
16. Antony Brown (for 11 - 64)
Yellow cards: Matthews, Pratt

1. Hakan Burton
2. Olatunde Bayode
3. Paul Dugdale
4. Harry Winstanley
5. Lee Pugh
6. Matty Makinson
7. Charlie Russell
8. Oliver Roberts
9. Dean Ing
10. Reece Webb-Foster
11. Matty Morgan
12. Sam O’Halleron (unused)
14. Harry Canon-Noren (unused)
15. Kian Ellis (unused)
16. Cameron Gourley (for 2 - 68)
17. Anthony Williams (for 7 - 80)
Yellow card: Ing, Pugh
Red card: Ing (85)

Referee: Matthew Young





Mossley, not for the first time, failed to turn possession into goals and once again gifted goals to the opposition as the Lilywhites slipped to a seventh successive defeat when conceding at the end of each half.

There was nothing whatsoever negative about the Lilywhites overall performance, it was just their inability to find the net and a tendency to be punished for any error and that proved to be the hard working Mossley side’s downfall.

Colne offered stubborn defensive resistance throughout the game as Mossley generally dominated proceedings.

A combination of wasted chances, solid defending, quality goalkeeping and some hugely frustrating time wasting tactics, added to the fact that Colne took both of their best two chances saw the visitors go home with the points. Harsh on a Mossley side who gave everything to get back to winning ways after some recent sub par performances.

Still without the injured Dec Evans, Dale Latham and Will Shepherd and now joined on the side-lines by Kane Hickman, Manager David Fish included new signing Freddie Sass and gave Ben Richardson his first start of the season following his loan spell at New Mills. Both gave excellent accounts of themselves. Also the day finally marked a return of centre forward Antony Brown as he was eased back into the action with a 25 minute cameo that with a bit more luck could have brought reward.

Mossley opened brightly with early chances for Banister and Fawns but both were off target.

As the half wore on it was Mossley who were enjoying the lions share but efforts were either high and wide or were denied by the experienced gloves of Hakan Burton.

Colne had threatened rarely and without the greatest conviction but on the stroke of half time Mossley conceded possession with a poor intercepted square ball and two passes later Matty Morgan curled a great shot from just outside the box that found the top corner beyond Hadlow’s reach to give the visitors a barely deserved half time lead.

The inevitable second half followed. Colne sat deep hoping to spring a counter attack while Mossley pressed on throughout, determined to restore parity. Pratt headed over, Fawns cross just eluded Matthews, Banister’s goal-bound shot was blocked, likewise Fawns and Banister was again denied by another great Burton save.

A brief melee in the Colne goalmouth as Mossley tried to force the ball over the line from a corner as Colne threw bodies in the way. Colne were awarded a free kick which was followed by a brief bout of handbags. The referee then booked Pratt and Matthews along with Colne’s Pugh but allowed the instigator Burton to go unpunished to continue his time wasting antics.

A great chance for Keogh followed but he delayed his shot and was finally blocked and Marsden was foiled by another Burton save as wave after wave of Mossley attacks were repelled by the determined visitors.

In the closing minutes Colne were reduced to ten men as Dean Ing, who had been booked for a foul on Matthews in the first half, prevented Mossley taking a free kick and was shown a second yellow followed by the inevitable red.

As the game entered overtime and with Colne attempting to keep the ball in the corner Mossley won a throw-in which led to a complete mix up that saw players leave the ball for each other and Matty Morgan latched on to score in an unguarded net to wrap up the points and gift Colne an early Christmas present.

Martyn Nolan's pics > >