Saturday 13th November 2021 @ Turnbull Ground, Whitby Att: 569
Whitby Town
(2) 5
(0) 0
Hazel (30, 74, 87 pen), Fewster (34), Griffiths (71)
Mossleyweb Man of the Match: Kane Hickman

1. Jordan Hadlow
2. Jack Grundy
3. Kain Dean
4. Jordan Butterworth
5. Declan Evans
6. Devon Matthews
7. Jack Bannister
8. Andy Keogh
9. Harry Pratt
10. Kane Hickman
11. Mason Fawns
12. Paul Riley (unused)
14. Sam Kilner (for 3 - 57)
15. Levi Phillips (unused)
16. Bailey Marsden (for 4 - 62)
17. Connor Morris (for 9 - 77)
Yellow card: Fawns

Whitby Town
1. Shane Bland
2. Nathan Dyer
3. Jassem Sukar
4. Priestley Griffiths
5. Daniel Rowe
6. Jameel Ible
7. Coleby Shepherd
8. Jake Hackett
9. Jacob Hazel
10. Bradley Fewster
11. Harry Green
12. Marcus Giles (for 10 - 62)
14. Liam Cooke (for 4 - 75)
15. Jonathan Burn (unused)
16. Josh MacDonald (for 8 - 70)
17. Nick Cranston (unused)
Yellow card: Fewster

Referee: Derric Wade





Mossley crashed out of the Buildbase FA Trophy at NPL Premier Division Whitby Town on Saturday and although the scoreline was a little flattering for the home side the Lilywhites had no answer to their lethal finishing.

It was in the end a day that Mossley will want to quickly put behind them as they return to the main job of pushing hard at the top end of the table with a re-arranged match at Prescot Cables to follow quickly.

The game opened at a high tempo as Whitby created a chance in the opening minute but Hadlow was able to hold on to Shepherd's low drive.

Mossley responded and Andy Keogh shot wide before the same player was denied by a flying save by Whitby keeper Shane Bland moments later.

Whitby had a couple more efforts saved by Hadlow in quick succession as the home side raided at high tempo causing much consternation in the Mossley defence. At the other end Kane Hickman brought another diving save out of Bland.

Mossley then enjoyed a spell of pressure but without reward and on the half hour Whitby took the lead. The ball was switched quickly from right to left and prolific striker Jacob Hazel wriggled around Grundy before dipping a great strike beyond Hadlow.

Mossley responded by winning a corner but 1-0 soon became 2-0 as Whitby broke and a through ball released Bradley Fewster who clipped the ball beyond the advancing Hadlow to double the home side's advantage.

Mossley went into the break with the knowledge that they simply had to score the next goal to give themselves a chance and the Lilywhites controlled the early stages of the second period as Keogh and Grundy both missed the target.

Banister, Fawns and Pratt were all denied as Mossley pressed hard but Whitby broke at high speed and Hazel was denied by Hadlow as the Whitby striker latched onto a through ball.

Mossley's hopes of a comeback were finally dashed by two quick fire goals. Sam Kilner had just replaced Kain Dean at left back when he was outpaced by Whitby winger Shepherd who's effort was blocked but the ball broke to Priestley Griffiths who smashed a great 25 yard shot beyond Hadlow's despairing dive.

Four minutes later Whitby were home and dry as Kilner's wayward back pass was intercepted and Giles' clever reverse pass gave the ever dangerous Jacob Hazel a simple tap in.

Salt was rubbed in Mossley's wounds in the closing minutes when Whitby were awarded a penalty when Grundy brought down Green just inside the box and Jacob Hazell stepped up to smash home the spot kick to complete his hat-trick and send Whitby through to the next round.