Disaster at Seel Park as two floodlight pylons collapse


The new year break due to the recent dreadful weather has obviously hit Mossley AFC hard, with postponed games causing limited income, then on top of that, on Thursday night two floodlight pylons collapsed after strong winds and sub zero temperatures caused them to crack and collapse.

The floodlight situation is a serious problem and one the club could have done without at this or any other time of year.

Club Commercial Secretary John Larner is currently in negotiations with the insurance company and potential contractors to put it right, if indeed we are sufficiently covered.

As most will know, it is not always straight forward getting insurance companies to make full payment, but at this stage we are still 'in the dark' as to what we will actually get from them.

The club desperately need to get a home match on ASAP (not much chance this Saturday), to boost the finances and therefore may need some 'supporter assistance' at some stage to remove the pylon from the pitch, if we can't get contractors in right away.

John Larner said "We are processing an insurance claim, getting quotes for two replacements. Jamie Burgess, brother of Mossley AFC Commercial Officer Steve Burgess, has kindly disconnected the electrics on one and is trying to complete the second this week, whilst we are looking at options, to remove old poles from the ground."

"We have put a request into Tameside Council to cover cost of any shortfall on insurance money for replacements."

"We will need to look at re-positioning the existing lamps to try and cover the pitch, as nothing will happen with replacements for some time."

Home games (when the weather finally relents) will likely kick off at 1.30pm for the time being.

More information will be released when available.

The pylons were erected way back in 1972 with the first game under lights at Seel Park being a 2-2 draw with Macclesfield Town on Monday 4th September 1972 in front of a crowd of 2,255.


pics by Smiffy