COMPLETE A-Z OF PLAYERS from 1919 to current

* Easter to Evison *

Biography Image
Matt Easter
Young left sided player sifgned from Woodley Sports in 2009.
Transferred to Abbey Hey

George Eastwood
Former Southport full back who was signed from Droylsden making 37 appearances in the 1928/29 season scoring one goal.

Ray Eastwood
Born in Moston on 1st January 1913. Died: 1999
Raymond Eastwood was a right back who started with Bacup Borough before moving to Oldham Athletic but never made the first team and joined Hurst and then Altrincham.
He signed for Aldershot and made 12 league appearances.
After WWII he joined Accrington Stanley and made 3 further League appearances.
He signed for Mossley from Nelson in August 1948 and made 102 appearances in two seasons with the club.

John Eaton
Defender who was John Sainty's fgirst signing as Mossley manager in March 1987 when arriving from Glossop.
Released in November 1988 and then played for Oldham Town and later Trafford.

Mike Eckersall
Born on 3rd February 1939.
Wing half or left back who made 33 appearances scoring 1 goal for Mossley in the 1957/58 season before joining Torquay United (28-2) in 1958.
He later signed for Stockport County (40-2) in 1963.

Wing half who made a solitary Mossley appearance in the 1938/39 season.

Ernie Edge
1948/49 1951/52
Local amteur centre half who made 3 Mossley appearance between 1949 and 1951.

Chris Edmonds
Right winger signed from Doncaster Rovers in November 1992 during Terry Curran's less than successful tenure as manager.
Brother of his then Mossley team-mate Darren Edmunds.

Darren Edmonds
Born in Watford on 12th April 1971.
Left winger Darren Edmonds joined Leeds United in 1989 as a youth.
He then moved to Ipswich Town (2-0) where he made his league debut in Division 2 as a substitute against Millwall on 19th October 1991.
He only featured twice more for Ipswich playing his final game against Sunderland less than a month later. After leaving Ipswich in 1992 he had a brief spell with Scarborough (1-0) before joining Mossley in November 1992 during Terry Curran's less than successful tenure as manager. He then joined Halifax Town.
Brother of his then Mossley team-mate Chris Edmunds.

Eddie Edmunds
Wing half signed from Colwyn Bay in the 1956/57 season.

Chris Edwards
Teenage striker signed from Xavarian College along with midfielder Peter McQuade in August 1980, made only one Mossley substitute appearance before being taken on by Football League club Barnsley.

Eddie Edwards
Born in Thurcroft 1912. Died 1991
Edward Clifford Edwards was a right winger signed by Sam Cowan in August 1937 aftre previopusly playing for Sheffield United, Worksop Town, Bury, Clapton Orient, and Hull City.
He departed Mossley for Carlisle United the following season.

Garth Edwards
Goalkeeper signed by Brian Grundy from Curzon Ashton in October 1984.

Levi Edwards
1984/85 2000/01
Born in Manchester on 10th September 1961.
Midfield player signed from Stockport County.
Later with Ashton United, Crewe Alexandra (13-0), Altrincham, Stockport County (49-5) and Hyde United.
He re-signed from Radcliffe Borough at the end of his career in 2001.
Later coach at Flixton

Rob Edwards

Born in Manchester in 1970.
Robert Edwards was one of Dario Gradi's early YTS graduates at Crewe Alexandra who went on to enjoy a long and successful professional career based on his sound footballing education.
Came through the Alex youth set up as a striker and enjoyed an impressive strike rate at the club after turning professional in 1988.
During his eight seasons at Gresty Road Rob netted a more than creditable 58 times from 198 appearances.
His time at the club was also a successful one for the Alex as they were promoted twice and enjoyed three play-off campaigns between 1988-1996, including a third place finish in the old Division Two. But whilst the Alex would remain in the Second Division for the 1996/97 season, Edwards was set to move onwards and upwards when, just before the transfer deadline day in March 1996, Brian Horton took Rob to First Division Huddersfield Town for a bargain price of £150,000.
His time at the McAlpine Stadium saw Huddersfield establish themselves in the First Division and enjoy several flirtations with the play-off positions under both Horton and his successor Peter Jackson. However the most notable transformation of Edwards' career during his stint in West Yorkshire was his actualy playing position.
Having been a forward all the way through the youth ranks, and into the first team at Crewe, he was suddenly transformed into a left back under Horton as injuries saw him pushed there, and ultimately hold onto the position. By the time he returned to Gresty Road in December 1998 for a league game, the Alex having followed Hudderfield into the First Division, Edwards was not only one of the Division's most reliable left backs, he was also the captain of an impressive Terriers' side which ran out 2-1 winners.
After another strong season, when Edwards had been integral to the Huddersfield side which had claimed another top ten finish, the club suprisingly sacked Jackson in the summer of 1999 and appointed former Manchester United captain Steve Bruce to the hot seat. Bruce's arrival coincided with the beginning of the end for Edwards' Town career as he went from being first team captain to a bit-part player who featured just 11 times in the 1999/2000 season.
After failing to feature at all in the opening month of the 2000/01season, he decided to move away from the McAlpine Stadium, having made 160 appearances and scored and 17 goals for the club, in search of regular first team football and signed for Division Three outfit Chesterfield for a nominal fee of around £20,000.
Under manager Nicky Law, Edwards enjoyed something of a renaissance to his career at Saltergate and in his first season played a huge part in the Spirerites success as the won promotion to Division Two, despite having 9 points deducted due to a breach of rules. Edwards spent two more seasons at Chesterfield, helping them to establish themselves in the Second Division, and made a total of 109 appearances for the Derbyshire club, before leaving on a free transfer in the summer of 2003.
His next move saw a him return to Huddersfield Town, now playing in the country's bottom Division, where his former manager Peter Jackson was back in charge. The duo managed to recreate some of the glory years in 2003/04 as the Terriers reached the play-offs and Edwards scored the crucial 83rd minute goal which put them through 4-3 on aggregate in the Semi-Final against Lincoln City. In the final against Mansfield Town, played at the glorious Millennium Stadium in front of 38,000 spectators, Edwards was the hero again. After a nervy 0-0 draw, the now veteran defender was one of four Huddersfield players who kept their nerve in the resulting penalty shoot-out which sent the Terriers up.
Edwards spent another season with the Terriers in 2004/05 and was named club captain that summer, before ultimately being released in July 2005. He signed for UniBond League side Ossett Albion for the 2005/06 season before joining Mossley in May 2006. He retired in November 2006 after a disappointing 11 game spell at Mossley.

Steve Edwards

Born in Birkenhead on 11th January 1958,
Stephen Edwards long association with Oldham Athletic began when he signed as an associate schoolboy in October 1973. He signed professional terms in 1976, and captained both the youth and reserve teams before making his league debut at Mansfield Town in April 1978.
Originally a midfield player, by then he was largely playing as a defender. In spite of some reasonably long first team spells over the next four seasons he found himself constantly facing strong competition for the full back place, and after a total of 85 appearances in League and Cup Competitions he was transferred to Crewe Alexandra in February 1983.
He made a good start to his career at Crewe, but moved on for a brief stay at Rochdale (4-0) in July 1984.
In October of the same year, he moved back to his home town, when he joined Tranmere Rovers for what were probably his most successful three seasons, completing 72 league matches and scoring 6 goals.
He signed for Mossley under Mark Hilton from Bangor City in March 1990 but moved to Vauxhall Motors for the following season.

Danny Egan


Lively young striker signed for Mossley by Chris Willcock in August 2008 from Macclesfield Town.
Transferred to Ashton United.
Re-signed from Ashton United in August 2010.
Signed for Flixton in August 2011 and later played for Winsford United and Wythenshawe Amateurs.

Made 4 Mossley appearances in the first post WWII season.

Roy Ellam
Born in Hemsworth on 13th January 1943.
Roy Ellam started his career at Bradford City signing in 1961, having rebuffed interest from QPR to head to Valley Parade and after a hugely successful spell in the claret-and-amber, he made 149 appearances, scoring 12 goals, before joining Huddersfield Town in 1966.
Six champagne years followed under first Tom Johnston and then the legendary Ian Greaves at Leeds Road, with the talented defender an ever-present in the Second Division championship-winning team of 1969/70, while going onto to sample some golden times in the top-flight as well – appearing in all Town's 84 games in the old first division before relegation in 1972.
He made a total of 206 appearances for the Terriers before following his former Town team-mate Trevor Cherry to Leeds United.
While Cherry went onto sample halcyon moments with Leeds at both club and international level, it was in marked contrast to Ellam, who was largely unable to break into one of the greatest-ever club sides and made just 11 appearances before returning to Huddersfield in the 1974/75 season where he played a further 18 games for the Terriers.
Ellam then played in the North American Soccer League for Philadelphia Atoms before returning to England and signing for Bob Murphy's Mossley, making his debut in a 1-0 win over reigning champions Boston United at Seel Park on 18th August 1975.
He was joined at Mossley soon after by former Irish International John Napier in the heart of the Mossley defence before Napier returned to his former club Bradford City in a coaching capacity in late November 1975. Ex Wigan Athletic star Albert Jackson was recruited as Napier's replacement and he and Ellam formed an effective defensive partnership in the Lilywhites defence over the course of the next year, broken only by Ellam returning to the USA for the summer of 1976 where he played for Washington Diplomats.
Ellam played his last match for Mossley in a 1-0 win at Macclesfield Town on 1st December 1976 having made a total of 83 appearances scoring 2 goals.
He then moved to Gainsborough Trinity, where he was appointed player/manager.
Ellam later ran a health club in Mirfield, West Yorkshire.

Andrew 'Ged' Elliott
Born on 21st December 1963,
Andrew Elliott was a former Manchester City (1-0), Sligo Rovers (Ireland) and Chester City (36-3) midfielder signed by John Sainty from Glossop in March 1987
He was transferred to Stalybridge Celtic in January 1988.

Harvey Elliott
Born 21st january 1922. Died 1996.}
Inside forward signed from Hull City (4-0) making 4 appearances and scoring 2 goals early in the 1947/48 season.

Alan Ellis
Signed on trial from Audenshaw United FC in the 1938/39 season.

Liam Ellis
Born 3rd February 1995.
Liam is a prolific striker signed from Chadderton FC in February 2017.
He was previously a junior and youth player with Manchester City.
Transferred to Trafford in October 2018

Tony Ellis
Born in Salford, Lancashire on 20th October 1964.
Anthony Joseph Ellis began his playing career with Horwich RMI and Northwich Victoria. In August 1986 at the age of 21, Ellis was signed by Joe Royle for Oldham Athletic, for whom he played 10 games.
Ellis was spotted by Preston North End manager John McGrath banging in the goals for Oldham's reserve team. McGrath paid £23,000 in October 1987 to take Ellis to Deepdale, where he scored a last-minute winner on his debut against Port Vale.
In his first spell at Deepdale Ellis scored 32 goals in 106 games in a little over two seasons. In 1989 Alan Ball at Stoke City tabled a £250,000 offer for Ellis. For Preston, the money was too good to turn down, and Ellis found himself leaving for the Victoria Ground in December 1989.
His time at Stoke was disrupted by injury, but in two and a half years he scored 20 goals in 93 first-team appearances.
In August 1992, Preston came back for him, paying Stoke £50,000 plus striker Graham Shaw. Stoke valued Ellis at £250,000 while Preston valued Shaw at £200,000. This deal therefore meant that Ellis became Preston's record signing at the time.
His second spell at Preston was even more productive than his first: Ellis scored 56 goals in only 88 games and was named the club's official player of the year in 1992/93 and 1993/94. His final game for the Preston was their 1994 play-off final defeat against Wycombe Wanderers at Wembley.
After a much-publicised fall out with Preston boss John Beck over a new contract and his role within the club, Ellis signed for arch-rivals Blackpool for £165,000 in 1994. However in November 1995 Ellis handed in a transfer request fueling rumours of a return to Deepdale, by then managed by Gary Peters. Blackpool got around this problem by offering Ellis an extension to his contract. In three and a half years at Bloomfield Road, Ellis scored 65 goals in 173 games.
In December 1997, Ellis was on the move again, this time to Bury for £70,000. He scored twelve goals in 38 games at Gigg Lane. Then in 1999 he joined Stockport County for a fee of £25,000. He made 21 league appearances, scoring six goals before joining Rochdale on a free transfer later that year. He made a total of 68 appearance and scored 18 goals.
He was released by Rochdale at the end of the 2000–01 season, and found himself without a club and semi-retirement and a return to non-league football looked likely until Burnley boss Stan Ternent offered him a lifeline. In his only season at Turf Moor, Ellis played ten games, all as a substitute. At the age of 37 he scored the winner against Bradford City in a 3-2 win at Valley Parade, his only goal for the club. During his Football League career Ellis had scored 210 goals in 609 first team games.
After leaving Burnley at the end of the 2001–02 season, Ellis joined Leigh RMI and in 2003 he briefly joined Jason Beckford's Mossley scoring 4 goals in 6 appearances for the Lilywhites in the 2002/03 season before he departed to become player / assistant manager of Hyde United and also took on the role of coaching the Burnley under-15s at the Turf Moor club's Centre of Excellence. In July 2007.
Ellis left his position as assistant manager of Hyde United and coach of the youth teams at Turf Moor to join former teammate, Rochdale manager Keith Hill as Head of Youth. In May 2013, Ellis was appointed as both Academy Manager and First Team Matchday Observational Coach at Rochdale. Ellis was inducted into the Blackpool FC Hall of Fame, when it was officially opened by former Blackpool player Jimmy Armfield in April 2006.

Jack Ellis
Born on 25th January 1908. Died 1984.
Joihn 'Jack' Ellis was an experienced goalkeeper signed from Stalybridge Celtic in 1946.
Prior to WWII he played for West Bromwich Albion, Wolverhampton Wanderers (26-0), Bristol Rovers (86-0), Hull City (32-0), Clapton Orient and Winsford United and Stockport County.

Gavinlee Ellison
Signed from Blackpool in Augsut 2003. Left for a spell with Leigh RMI but returned in the 2004/05 season.
Transferred to Chorley and later played for Clitheroe and West Didsbury & Chorlton.

Full back who made a solitary Mossley appearance in the 1946/47 season.

Thomas Elwell
Local amateur inside foward who scored 3 goals in 7 appearances for Mossley in the 1926/27 season and later played for Hurst.

John Emmett
Forward who made a solitary Mossley appearance in the 1919/20 season.

George Etchells
Regular first choice Mossley goalkeeper for two seasons, Mossley's second and third years in the Cheshire County League.

Robert 'Bob' Etherington
Born in Croston on 18th June 1899. Died in Pensby 23rd June 1981
Robert Dilworth Etherington was a former Leyland Motors, Manchester City (12-0), Halifax Town, Rotherham County (14-1), Hurst, Mexborough, Manchester North End and Chester half back signed from Crewe Alexandra in the 1928/29 season.

Local amateur goalkeeper signed from Leesfield FC in the 1928/29 season.

Chris Evans
Signed in August 2006 after some promising performances in the pre season friendlies.
A naturally left sided player who was previously with Huddersfield Town's academy.
He had returned to football after a year's break from playing.
Released in October 2006.

Declan Evans
Born 29th June 1999
Declan Evans is a young central defender signed from Chorley in December 2017 having previously been with Rochdale. He won both the Managers and Players Player of the Year award in 2019.

Eddie Evans
Defender signed by Don Wilson from Droylsden in 1965 who made 31 appearances over two seasons scoring 2 goals for Mossley.

John Evans
Goalkeeper signed from Manchester City in August 1953 and who was regular first choice keeper for two seasons.

Jimmy Evans


Left back signed from Manchester amateur team New Cross LC in April 1975 appearaing in Mossley's last three games of the 1974/75 scoring 2 goals.
Re-signed the following season but made only 2 further appearances being unable to displace the experienced Dick Lee.

Keith Evans
Former Curzon Ashton, Ashton United, Leigh RMI and Hyde United striker signed by Benny Phillips from Salford City, transferred to Chorley

Nigel Evans
Former Hyde United, Stalybridge Celtic and Curzon Ashton player signed from Droylsden. Later with Curzon Ashton

Spencer Evans
Born St Asaph on 24th September 1911. Died 1981.
Wing half or inside forward Robert Spencer Evans began his career with Rhyl Athletic and then played for Wrexham, Chester, Stoke City, Port Vale (68-0), Altrincham and Northwich Victoria before arriving at Mossley for one season at the end of his career in 1953.

Robin "Robbie" Evison
Prolific goal scoring centre foward signed from Stalybridge Celtic in August 1963 having previously played for Altrincham.
He was Mossley's top scorer in the 1963/64 season with 26 goals.

David Eyres

Born in Liverpool on 26th February 1964,
David Eyres has been a good servant for all his clubs over the years. Eyres didn't get into the professional game until he was 25 years of age.
He played non-league football with Morecambe, Southport and Rhyl. He was playing at Rhyl during the 1988/89 season, before getting his big break. He was given a trial by Jimmy Mullen at Blackpool in a reserve match at Boundary Park against Oldham Athletic.
The Oldham manager Joe Royle was impressed, and looked into signing him, but he eventually joined Blackpool in August 1989. At the time he joined he had been working on a production line at Halewood's Ford plant in Liverpool. Joining Blackpool meant a drop in wages, but he was prepared to do this to fulfill his dream. He signed for Blackpool from Rhyl for £10000 in August of 1989 and formed a great wing partnership with Trevor Sinclair.
The partnership was very similar to the Holden/Adams partnership at Latics in the early 90's. His league debut was a bit of a disaster. Blackpool lost 3-0 to Crewe, and Eyres was taken to hospital with suspected broken ribs.
Whilst at Blackpool, he played at Wembley twice in play-off finals. He was a loser against Torquay in 1990/91, losing on penalties.
He was in a winner a year later in the 1991/92 final. Blackpool beat Scunthorpe United in the final on penalties. Eyres scored the the winning penalty that day. In four seasons at Blackpool, Eyres played 196 league and cup games, scoring 45 goals.
The 1992/93 season saw Eyres scored 16 league goals, from 46 games. A superb record for a winger. In July 1993, Eyres moved from Blackpool to local rivals Burnley. He played most of his games at Burnley at left-wing back. He was a real success there and in the 1996/97 season he got into the PFA divisional side.
Jimmy Mullen signed Eyres for Burnley, and it was him that originally signed Eyres for Blackpool. His very first season at Burnley was a huge success. He scored 19 league goals in 45 league games. Burnley reached the play-off's that year, and Eyres was back at Wembley again.
Burnely took 40,000 fans to Wembley, and they won 2-1. Eyres scored a goal that day, and it was a special goal. He bet three men before banging the ball in the net. In his first four seasons at Burnley he played over 150 games, scoring around 40 goals.
His very next season saw Eyres play 13 games for Burnley, scoring once, before a major shock. In October 1997 Eyres made a shock move to Burnley's most bitter rivals Preston North End. Chris Waddle surprisingly let him go for just £80,000. Eyres became a legend, as he had done at Blackpool and Burnley.
His debut for Preston came in a 1-0 defeat at York City, but the very next game saw him score in a 3-1 win at Luton Town. He scored 28 league games in the 1997/98 season, scoring 4 goals. The 1998/99 season saw Eyres play 34 league games for Preston, scoring 8 goals.
A famous moment and disaster for Eyres was when he was sent off in a televised match for chopping down Marc Overmars. Preston lost 4-2, but Eyres received hundreds of letters from Preston fans telling him it wasn't his fault.
Preston lost in the play-off's that season to Gillingham. He scored in in the first leg of the semi-final at Deepdale.  The 1999/2000 season was another great season for Preston. Preston won the second division title and Eyres played 41 league games, scoring 7 goals.
He was included in the Carling Opta team of the season scoring over 800 points and that is a great amount. The 2000/01 season saw David start off on the bench for Preston. He wanted to go out on loan, but David Moyes wouldn't let him. He played four games, before Andy Ritchie offered him a chance of first team football at Oldham. Preston agreed to let Eyres leave, and in October 2000 he joined Oldham Athletic on a free transfer.
He signed a deal until the end of the season, although Latics did want him to have a 20 month deal. Eyres felt it was fairest for both parties to review it at the end of the season. Eyres joined and was a revelation for Latics. Eyres went on to play 30 league games in the 2000/01 season, scoring three goals against Brentford and Oxford home and away. His superb displays kept Latics in the division, and he was rewarded with a new contract.
The 2001/02 season was superb for Eyres. He played 45 of the 46 league games, scoring 10 goals. He also played in most of Latics cup games, and scored a further 4 goals. His final tally for the season was 14 league and cup goals. Brilliant for a 38 year old. He scored in four consecutive games in December/January, and scored two of the best goals of the season. His goals away at Wrexham and at home to Bournemouth were nothing but superb.  His superb season, saw him make a clean sweep of the player of the season awards at Boundary Park that season. Eyres reward was a new contract with the club. Latics gave him a deal that would keep him at the club until the age of 40. Eyres was retained again after that and remained at Boundary Park until May 2006.
The 2006/07 season began with Eyres returning to his non league roots by signing for Hyde United before arriving at Mossley in October 2006. He scored 5 goals in 23 Mossley appearances in the 2006/07 season as Mossley were relegated from the NPL Premier Division before announcing his retirement from the game at 43 years of age.