Mossley players who progressed

When Ciaran Kilheeney moved late last season to Football League strugglers Exeter City it brought to mind some of the other Mossley players to move into League football over the years. There have been many, but I thought I would focus on a few of them.
Wing half Arthur Tyrer was the player who broke the club transfer record when sold to Leeds United in 1951. Signed upon his release from Manchester City, Tyrer made 23 impressive appearances for Mossley before being snapped up by Leeds. He made 39 appearances for Leeds before moving to Shrewsbury Town where played a further 24 games. Her then had a lengthy spell with Aldershot for whom he played 235 games and then ended his career with Peterborough United, then a non league club, who he helped gain admission to the Football League.
Long serving Mossley inside forward Cyril Megson had a younger brother named Don. Don joined Mossley in 1953 but in only his second game for the Lilywhites he was spotted by a Sheffield Wednesday scout and moved to Hillsborough to embark on a 386 game career with the Owls. He appeared in the legendary 1966 FA Cup Final against Everton after being named in the England World Cup squad. A later spell with Bristol Rovers was followed by spells in management with both Bristol Rovers and Bournemouth.
Scotsman Harvey McCreadie arrived at Mossley from Accrington Stanley in 1961 and scored 36 goals in just 44 appearances for Mossley before being transferred to Scottish First Division giants Hibernian for a £1,000 fee in September 1962.
The next player to command a four figure fee was full back Alan Roberts who was an amateur when Fourth Division Bradford Park Avenue enquired about him in 1970. He quickly signed professional forms for Mossley and was sold to Bradford for £1,000 the same day. He returned to Mossley a year later when Park Avenue lost their Football League place.
Gary Pierce was a remarkable goalkeeper attracting League scouts very quickly after signing for Mossley in 1970. He was transferred to Huddersfield Town for a £2,750 fee and then moved to Wolves for whom he won a League Cup winners medal against Manchester City at Wembley in 1974. Later spells with Barnsley and Blackpool followed before he ended his career back at Seel Park in the mid 80’s.
Bob Murphy signed left back Eamonn O’Keefe on his return from a spell playing in Saudi Arabia in 1976 and switched him to a more attacking role. League scouts flocked to see the powerful and exceptionally quick O’Keefe and after scoring 50 goals in 111 appearances for Mossley he was sold to First Division Everton for a club record £25,000 in 1979. He went on to win caps for the Republic of Ireland and also played for Wigan Athletic, Port Vale and Chester.
Mossley had a poor side in the 1992-93 season but their young central defender Greg Challender was outstanding. He was transferred to Preston North End, strangely then managed by current Exeter City boss Gary Peters, at the end of the season for A £5,000 and played in Preston’s League side. He is now an experienced midfield player plying his trade with Rossendale United.