Kendal Town 1 Mossley 2
UniBond League Division One
Tuesday 26th March 2005 - 7.45 pm
@ Parkside Road, Kendal
Referee I.Esat
Attendance 329

8C - wind SW 14mph


Kendal Town
1. Thornley Y
2. Rigby Y
3. McKenna Y
4. Woodruffe
5. McMenemy
6. Mercer
7. Smith
8. Kilford
9. Foster Y
10. Ashcroft
11. Smith
12. Byrne
14. Bennett

1. Lee Bracey (8)
2. Jordan Goodeve (7)
3. Steve Sheil (7)
4. Paul Challinor (cptn) (7)
5. Danny Meadowcroft (7)
6. Melford Knight (7)
7. Rhodri Giggs (7)
8. Josh Howard (8) R
9. Leon Mike (9*)
10. Chris Downey (8)
11. Adam Morning (7)
12. Andy Thackeray (not used)
14. Gavin Salmon (for Challinor 84 mins)
15. Mario Daniel
(for Meadowcroft 88 mins)

The situation couldn't be tighter on the edge of the play-off zone. Kendal needing one point to make the play-off's, Mossley needing to win both their remaining games. The situation now goes right to the wire as Mossley beat Kendal in spectacular fashion on a wet night in Cumbria to set up a massive match against League leaders and potential champions North Ferriby United at Seel Park on Saturday.
Kendal's raking long ball tactics served them well playing down the slope in the first half. Mossley were pinned back for long periods as a succession of quality crosses put Lee Bracey and the Mossley back line under some pressure. When Mossley did get forward they created havoc in the home defence as Leon Mike fired a header inches wide and Melford Knight did likewise. Rhodri Giggs saw his glancing back header from a corner just clear the bar but it was the home side who struck first. A moments hesitancy in defence allowed Dave Foster to poach a strikers goal with a well taken finish in the 37th minute.
With the slope in their favour after the break Mossley came on strongly and pressured the Kendal defence with Mike and Chris Downey causing problems for Kendal's now over-worked back four.
It was Mike who earned Mossley the 54th minute penalty that brought the scores level. His attempt to take the ball around home keeper Thornley saw the Kendal number one bring down the ex Aberdeen striker for a definite spot kick. Amazingly, despite the keeper having been booked for time wasting in the first half by a referee who endeared himself to no-one, a second yellow card wasn't shown. Chris Downey kept his cool to rifle the spot-kick home.
However, Kendal were still a threat on the break and Bracey was called into action turning a goal-bound scorcher onto the bar.
With just five minutes remaining Mossley won another corner and Danny Meadowcroft's effort came back off the post and it seemed to be all over moments later when the big Mossley defender went down in a heap and was eventually stretchered from the pitch with an ankle injury.
Tempers became frayed and Josh Howard was then dismissed for swearing at the referee following a fracas in the corner and it seemed all over for Mossley as the game entered stoppage time.
With a last desperate surge the ball was played up to Chris Downey who was wrestled to the floor on the edge of the box. The referee's award brought a glimmer of hope for the large Mossley following and 'cometh the hour cometh the man' as Leon Mike stepped up to curl a superb free kick into the top corner to win the game with virtually the last kick of the match to send players and fans alike wild with delight and keep Mossley's play-off hopes alive into the last game of the season. Absolutely riveting stuff!

It's the 96th minute and Leon Mike fires a free kick goalwards...

...and the ball ends up in the net, 2-1

pics courtesy of www.mossleymania.co.uk

Mossleyweb Man of the Match: Leon Mike . . . led the line well and scored the vital winner with a super strike!
Mossleyweb Verdict: Relief!