Bad day at the office!
Mossley 0 Kidsgrove Athletic 2
UniBond League Division One
Saturday 19th February 2005 - 3.00 pm
@ Seel Park, Mossley
Referee D.Lawrence
Attendance 226

3C - wind E 10mph


1. Ian Willcock (8)
2. Andy Thackeray (7)
3. Steve Sheil (7)
4. Paul Challinor (cptn) (7)
5. Danny Meadowcroft (7)
6. Melford Knight (8) Y
7. Rhodri Giggs (7)
8. Jordan Goodeve (8*)
9. Leon Mike (6)
10. Chris Downey (7)
11. Josh Howard (7)
12. Gavin Salmon (7) (for Mike 63 mins)
14. Mario Daniel (7) (for Knight 74 mins)
15. Shaun Dootson (7) (for Howard 53 mins)

Kidsgrove Athletic
1. Heeps
2. Matthews Y
3. Vickers
4. Kielthy
5. Johnson
6. Ward
7. Shaughnessy
8. Buckle
9. Rhead
10. Sargeant
11. Buckley
12. Kinsey
14. Munro
15. Holmes

Mossley found themselves unable to penetrate a mean Kidsgrove Athletic defence and paid the maximum penalty with this first League defeat of 2005.
Mossley gave a debut to new signing Andy Thackeray and welcomed Josh Howard (pictured) back to the team after his lengthy injury lay-off and it all started well enough with Mossley spraying passes around with abandon and some great one touch stuff looked likely to tear the visitors apart, but, with their very first attack Kidsgrove almost snatched the lead when Shaughnessy saw his effort cleared off the line by Andy Thackeray.
Kidsgrove did Mossley the honour of playing passing football and after weeks of facing ‘big hoof’ teams that in itself was a novelty. However, the visitors proved to be rather good at it meaning that play quickly flowed from end to end. Unfortunately for Mossley it was Kidsgrove who were making chances as Mossley were too often let down by the final ball. Goalkeeper Ian Willcock making several excellent saves to deny the lively ‘Grove’.
Kidsgrove were unlucky not to be awarded a penalty when Steve Sheil blocked a cross with his arm well inside the box but, after consulting with his assistant, the referee amazingly awarded a free kick outside the box which came to naught.
After failing to take advantage when backed by the icy wind Mossley then faced the biting breeze and brief snow flurries in the second half and frankly struggled thereafter to make any impression at all.
Kidsgrove deserved their lead when it came in the 68th minute. Buckley broke on the left and Mossley’s defence moved across only for the ball to be delivered to the far post where Patrick Shaughnessy was arriving at pace and he fired home well with a crisp first time effort.
Chris Downey had a shot blocked, Jordan Goodeve fizzed a shot that curled away and substitute Mario Daniel claimed he was fouled in the box after a jinking run but Mossley were short on ideas in the final third and failed to get behind Kidsgrove’s defensive wall.
Mossley were split apart with almost the last kick of the game as Paul Buckley gleefully doubled the visitors lead to send the traveling fans home happy!

Mossleyweb Man of the Match: Jordan Goodeve...competed for every ball!
Mossleyweb Verdict: Over-confidence is fatal!