Back in business!
Ossett Albion 1 Mossley 4
UniBond League Division One
Tuesday 22nd March 2005 - 7.45 pm
@ Queens Terrace, Ossett
Attendance 194

6C - wind S 10mph

Ossett Albion
1. Clark
2. G.Dodd
3. Wordsworth
4. Mierzwinski
5. S.Hazelden
6. Stack
7. Farrell
8. Fretwell
9. Toronczak
10. Dickinson
11. Duffty
12. Norbury
14. Townsend
15. Downes

1. Ian Willcock
2. Andy Thackeray (cptn)
3. Barrie Hart
4. Steve Sheil
5. Danny Meadowcroft
6. Melford Knight
7. Jordan Goodeve
8. Josh Howard
9. Rhodri Giggs
10. Chris Downey
11. Adam Morning
12. Leon Mike (for Giggs 82 mins)
14. Shaun Dootson (for Hart 61 mins)
15. Gavin Salmon
(for Knight 78 mins)

Mossley finally recorded their first win since January with a comprehensive victory against Ossett Albion. The game started with Mossley pushing forward and Chris Downey had a great chance in the opening five minutes but he shot wide.
Ossett appeared to be struggling at the back as Mossley passed around the host’s backline, and the opening goal arrived in the 8th.minute when neat approach work from Downey released Rhodri Giggs who shot past Mick Clark to give the Lilywhites a deserved lead.
Ossett had given Mossley a couple of tough games during the autumn and they showed their intent as they came back at Mossley and Dave Dickinson shot narrowly wide as Ossett pushed for the equalizer.
The direct play from Ossett was giving the Mossley defence a big test which they were standing up to. This was particularly so when Ossett were awarded an indirect free kick which was passed to Richard Stack whose fierce shot was well blocked.
Mossley were pushing forward with intent and came close to netting a second, but it seemed they would have to be happy with a one goal interval lead until the game totally swung in their favour just before the break. In the 44th.minute, a deep corner from Adam Morning created havoc as Ossett failed to clear their lines, and Melford Knight forced the ball home at the far post.
The game seemed as good as over in the 45th.minute, when Knight put Giggs through who calmly lobbed the advancing goalkeeper.
Ossett even had a chance to pull one back on the stroke of half time but Barrie Hart headed off the line.
Ossett pushed forward after the break to try and force their way back into the game, but the Mossley rearguard was performing a great job and stood firm as the aerial bombardment arrived.
Chris Downey came close to adding a fourth goal as a curling effort went wide, and Steve Sheil headed narrowly wide after a corner. Adam Morning was providing great width down the flank, and he was harshly adjudged offside which resulted in his effort being disallowed.
Josh Howard was starting to look more like his old self and he had a shot deflected onto the bar after some neat footwork, despite his boot falling off. Giggs had a good chance to net a hat-trick but his header flew straight at Clark in the Ossett goal.
The fourth goal finally arrived when substitute Gavin Salmon laid the ball off for Josh Howard who drove the ball home.
Ossett netted a consolation goal when Sean Hazlelden headed home at the far post. It looked like Mossley would have the chance to net a fifth goal when Adam Morning was clipped as he went round the goalkeeper, but the referee felt there was no contact. This was a much better performance which netted a deserved three points.

report courtesy of


Rhodri Giggs fires home the opener


Melford Knight heads home the second


Rhodri Giggs delicately lobs the third!


Josh Howard scores Mossley's fourth goal

pics courtesy of

Mossleyweb Man of the Match: Melford Knight . . . another powerful performance
Mossleyweb Verdict: Goal drout over